2000 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Review: Former Toyota Owner

2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Review

GL Coupe (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Former Toyota Owner
By S. Racer on

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

My first car ever was a '72 Nova SS. The mechanic saw this car more than I did. This experience made me vow to never own an American car. I've owned 4 Toyotas, including an MR2 (best car I've ever had). When the Alero came out, I had to go back on my vow. I currently am driving a slick looking black V-6 coupe. Only major problem I've had was a power steering leak. Besides this, my Alero's quality build has been much better than what I expected. The power under the hood is scary (I'm thinking about getting a radar detector). Seating is good in the front AND the back. The styling is terrific! Beware: This car drinks gas like crazy. Besides this, it's a very fun & cool car to drive.

Favorite Features

Power from the V-6 (yesss); Rear spoiler; 6 spoke aluminum wheels; power sunroof; headlight design; and the "tiny" unobtrusive fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

Stickier tires. I replaced the originals with Falken Ziex's. I'm puzzled as to why GM discontinued this car because in my town, all I see are Aleros. This is very disappointing when you want to drive a unique car like this.