2000 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Review: About to retire black beauty a

2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Review

About to retire black beauty after 291,000km
By mcalpine on

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car years ago used from a car dealer in Scarborough. It was very cheap (probably because of 5spd gear box and dent in hood) and my expectations were quite low. I just needed a car for the winter. It lasted a LOT longer than one winter. The 2.4l engine feels gutless in normal driving but when you put your foot down it picks up the pace nicely, albeit with plenty of noise which seems to be typical of GM four cylinders. I have full records of what has been replaced from new: Connecting pipe, small vacuum hose, blower motor resistor, rear window heating module, rear speakers, all struts/shocks/springs, gas cap, brakes x3 with new calipers, emerg brake cable, drivers seat back.

Favorite Features

This car is very comfortable to drive and gets good mileage on the highway. This is especially true if you change the spark plugs every 100,000km. It likes 10W30 oil in the summer and 5W30 in winter. All maintenance on this car is very easy to do. The engine has been 100% reliable.

Suggested Improvements

This car has one big problem for those of us in the north. Rust. I learned, too late, that there's a manufacturing defect where the rear windows on the coupe weren't properly weather sealed and water leaks down inside rotting out the metal at the bottom from the inside out. Rust also attacks the leading edge of the hood quite badly. I've seen others with a lot of rust around the rear wheels, but mine isn't affected here.