Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

More Than the Camry
By Art

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Alero for five years with no problems. I prefer the handling and safety features over my sister-in-law's newer Camry. The only small problem has been brake rotor warping, which is common on all cars with ABS brakes in our hilly area. It is also a wonderful towed vehicle, behind the motor home. The automatic lights are great.

Automatic lights with day-time running, the low tire pressure warning, oil change alerts, and handy map lights.

I wish they were still manufactured.

Do Not Buy This Car
By hatethiscar

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Alero in 2002. The drivetrain has been fairly reliable except for some suspension problems. The real problem for me has been with the interior bits. Among other things, I've run into: 1. Two speakers inexplicably stopped working. The worked just fined once I replaced them (with original wiring even). 2. The A/C controls are messed up. The fan will only work on the two highest settings. 3. It has a peeling dash. 4. I have four (count 'em!) non-working power windows. I've had both front windows repaired multiple times, but they never seem to work longer than 6-8 months before failing again. This is, far and away, the most annoying problem I've had with the car.

The exterior styling.

This car has serious quality issues with the interior. It's literally falling apart!

3 Year Update from 11/09/03 Post
By us_blueskirt

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

The milage and performance has dramatically decreased over the last year! The only real issue outside of that was a problem with the flasher system, which was fixed by a factory recall on the assembly. I can't really complain about the performance...It's got just over 165,000 miles on it. The performance didn't waiver until it hit around 120,000 miles, but it's been downhill since then. I keep up with all 'scheduled' maintenance and it seems to work for this car. It is very reliable...I still take long trips on a regular basis!

I like the style and the interior room. It works well for a single mom that doesn't want a 'granny car' but can't afford a sports car!

Since I've slowed down on the interstate, I find there is still a considerable amount of wind noise - even at 65 or 70 mph.

Not the best
By danny

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

It may look good, but the 4-cylinder engine in the Alero was not made to last. I have had so many small problems with this car, it is a big headach. Furthermore, the interier is very cheap the dash looks like a raisin. If you buy a vehicle, buy a better class.

It looks good.

Too much, I don't have time.

Wish I hadn't
By Unhappy

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I bought an Oldsmobile Alero because of it's easy handling. I wish I hadn't. Luckily some of the problems have been covered under the warranty, but now that's up and I might as well have a car payment with the money I spend on the thing. I've replaced the rotors, brakes, cruise control and much more. The interior is falling apart with the upolstery sundamaging very very easily. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone at all.

It handles easily and you can turn with your one finger.

Try again.