2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
satisfied owner
By bthompso_99 on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought used two years old with 25,000 miles. Several problems while it was still under warranty. CD player was replaced, driver side window motor replaced, blower electrical controls replaced, cruise went out, rotor problem. No major problems since warranty expired. Other than these mostly electrical problems the car has been fun to drive and for the most part a reliable vehicle that met our needs. Traded it off for a larger vehicle with growing family. If not for the need of a larger vehicle we would have kept it for a few more years.

Trouble free vehicle
By jqxwl on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle on 6/18/2000. Besides regular services, I have never brought it to car garage! And it is still in great shape! Very stable and reliable!

LEMON CAR
By bethany on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

3.4L v6. 03/00 75633mls, leather interior, 11,000 from a dealership the biggest mistake i made. Nice looking car, but the quality sucks! Lets see the cruise control doesn't work, half the time my blinker lights go out, upholstry on the dashboard is peeling, something wrong with the gas gauge, passenger side window dropped down, the cd player goes out sometimes, coolant leaks, passenger side door is hard to open, twice the engine had to be fixed, sometimes the engine does't turn over, no matter how much or how many time you refill the coolant the coolant light doesn't go off. i think because of the coolant problem the engine makes noises.

pass on it
By jim williams on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Numerous problems with wheel bearings, brakes, wheel sensors, and turn signal switches. In the shop every week. True story-went to trade it at a local GM dealer. He said, "no offense but I cant take it on trade, those things are junk."

Poor quality
By joe joe on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Very disappointed in the quality. Nothing like buying a car and watching depreciation fall through the floor after 2 years, (paid 11k, trade in offer of 2.5k, 50k total milage) OUCH!. All sorts of irratating problems like electrical, workmanship. No major problems for the first 50k but didnt wait around for that to happen. Dumped for a loss, didnt trust it over the long haul. Very disappointed with GM on this and went with a Honda.

Do not buy this car!
By Caseyc on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

This car is mediocre at best. I have had numberous problems with this car. In the 3 years I have owned this car, I have replaced the brakes 5 times, the cruise quit working, the middle overhead light pops out and falls out on occasion, the upholstry on the dash has begun to pull up, both of the electric front windows have broke twice, the right front sun visor clip broke and my blinkers quit working. I definitely would not recommend purchasing this vehicle.

Sporty Ride
By RKP on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great ride, sporty and great acceleration for a 170 HP engine. I like it's cornering ability no push in the tight corners. Layout is good, night lighting excellent. The ride is solid Excellent handling capability. I am very satisfied mechanically but am looking for a softer and more plush ride.

My Expensive Mistake
By sam2000 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I liked the features and styling when I bought this car, but the build quality has turned out to be very disappointing. The rear rotors are scored deeply with plenty of pad remaining. Had to have all the windows replaced due to the glass getting scratched every time the windows were lowered and raised. Cruise control switch went bad. Power window switches went bad.... three times. Many minor electrical problems. Dash board also had to be replaced. No problems with the power train so far (45k mi.), but I don't trust the car anymore after so many problems; and with the awful resale value, I can't afford to get rid of it.

Brakes are the only real problem
By linenoise on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought new in 1999 (it's a 2000 Coupe with 2.4l) Other than the usual problems with Alero's (Brake Rotor/Hazard switch) this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have 53K on it and the brake rotors are my only service items (twice but due for a 3rd), if considering drive the 2.4l and the 3.4 and you'll find that the 2.l4 seems smoother and quite fun.

Fun, Looks great & only small problems
By ibjeepr on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

I bought the car used with 33000 miles on an impulse when I was actually looking for a used suburban. I haven't regreted it. It is one of the nicest looking cars out there,is fun to drive and has had only a couple insignifigant problems. I drive 400 miles every other weekend and enjoy it. I drive hard (just ask my poor passangers)and haven't seen the rapid brake wear even the mechanic told me to expect.