2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
More Than the Camry
By Art on 11/29/06 09:34 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Alero for five years with no problems. I prefer the handling and safety features over my sister-in-law's newer Camry. The only small problem has been brake rotor warping, which is common on all cars with ABS brakes in our hilly area. It is also a wonderful towed vehicle, behind the motor home. The automatic lights are great.

Do Not Buy This Car
By hatethiscar on 11/17/06 11:37 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Alero in 2002. The drivetrain has been fairly reliable except for some suspension problems. The real problem for me has been with the interior bits. Among other things, I've run into: 1. Two speakers inexplicably stopped working. The worked just fined once I replaced them (with original wiring even). 2. The A/C controls are messed up. The fan will only work on the two highest settings. 3. It has a peeling dash. 4. I have four (count 'em!) non-working power windows. I've had both front windows repaired multiple times, but they never seem to work longer than 6-8 months before failing again. This is, far and away, the most annoying problem I've had with the car.

3 Year Update from 11/09/03 Post
By us_blueskirt on 10/01/06 21:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

The milage and performance has dramatically decreased over the last year! The only real issue outside of that was a problem with the flasher system, which was fixed by a factory recall on the assembly. I can't really complain about the performance...It's got just over 165,000 miles on it. The performance didn't waiver until it hit around 120,000 miles, but it's been downhill since then. I keep up with all 'scheduled' maintenance and it seems to work for this car. It is very reliable...I still take long trips on a regular basis!

Not the best
By danny on 04/03/06 13:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

It may look good, but the 4-cylinder engine in the Alero was not made to last. I have had so many small problems with this car, it is a big headach. Furthermore, the interier is very cheap the dash looks like a raisin. If you buy a vehicle, buy a better class.

Wish I hadn't
By Unhappy on 10/14/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I bought an Oldsmobile Alero because of it's easy handling. I wish I hadn't. Luckily some of the problems have been covered under the warranty, but now that's up and I might as well have a car payment with the money I spend on the thing. I've replaced the rotors, brakes, cruise control and much more. The interior is falling apart with the upolstery sundamaging very very easily. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone at all.

Nice Vehicle Thus Far
By Margaret on 09/14/05 12:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my used 2000 Alero GLS in July 2005. I have all of the service records and the only problem I have, thus far, is the peeling of the door handles. There was only one previous owner and the car is under an extended warranty. When I initially purchased it, there were approximately 43,000 miles on it. Not bad for a 2000 car of any sort. I paid cash for it and it is definitely a nice ride for the money (I could never afford a brand new one). I was also a previous Honda owner (Value Package sedan). I like my choice. It has a lot more features than the Honda or any other car I have owned. I am going to stick it out! I think GM should definitely stay keep the Alero.

Good Solid Vehicle
By My Review on 07/19/05 12:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I bought my '00 Alero brand new. I was going to purchase a Grand Am, but once I drove the Alero, I knew it was the right choice. I have the GLS V6 2- door. I don't know if this is different than some of the bad reviews I've read on this site or not, but my Alero has been great. I have 140K miles on it, and my mechanic says that it is still running strong. I feel it is a solid car.

Put the brakes on...
By Andrea Nel on 06/13/05 20:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Fun car to drive, stylish, roomy in the front, and love the air flowing to the back seat and removable ash tray that turns into a cup holder. This car was so close to my dream car until the mechanical problems started. Replaced brake rotors twice, water pump, and now am experiencing problems with the fan and the annoying blinker switch noise (anyone who has one knows what I'm talking about), problems with starting the car due to a electrical problem all before 75,000. My extended warranty ends at 85,000, and I'm sure I'll make use of it. Not the most mechanically dependable car I ever owned. Very nickle and dime on the mechanics...

CAUTION!
By CAUTION!!!! on 03/19/05 07:56 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought my Alero because I had rented one once and fell in love with its performance and ride. It is really fast for a coupe. If you are considering buying one from a dealer you better get the extended warranty! I have replaced the rotors on the front (big problem with Aleros). The lower intake gasket leaked so that screwed up the antifreeze. The resistor that controls the blower motor burned out. There is a rattling noise in front suspension that I can't seem to find. Fortunately I got the extended warranty! I'd be out a few thousand if I hadn't. Depreciation is ridiculous! Paid $11,000 for it in 2002 and its now worth $6,000 retail/$4,000 trade. I owe $8000.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned!
By nick on 03/12/05 16:21 PM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

This looked like a really nice car. The first year changed that! Constant brake problems, transmisson problems, and broken interior switches. After about 4 years and 80,000 miles all sorts of things went wrong! I replaced alternator, starter, fuel pump, wheel bearings, and the ignition system( because a cheaply made plastic cover cracked and fried the whole system!) Olsmobile would look for any reason not to honor the warranty and were constantly difficult to deal with! I can see why they went out of business. It is too bad, I paid a lot of money for a very poorly made car and I will never buy American again! It is really too bad!