Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Trash Heap
By Wildplrbear

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years and treated it like an old man would. It did not love me back, it constantly bit the hand that feed it. The car is horribly constructed. It has built in flaws that are unfixable and dangerous. It completely broke down with 112000 miles. By break down, I mean it gave up on life. I do not believe it is even ok to sell this car to someone. I plan on taking it to a junk yard and asking them to destroy it. Did not start 15% of the time because of security system issues, new bearings every 15K miles, windows that stop working every winter, bad head gaskets, bad intake gaskets, new breaks every 20K miles, shorting wires on a semiannual basis.

The best part about this car is that the drives window broke every time it was fixed. This stopped me from getting fast food. Between that and having to walk home because it didnít start once a week. It left me in great shape.

This is irrelevant, I can only assume GM knows what it did wrong with these cars. From the looks of their new cars I think the improvements have been made.

Great car
By jon

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This is a good strong car built by GM. I've driven it to the ground and have had to replace rotors, a/c and a few electrical components. It's definitely a well-built car. I've experienced some problems mentioned by other people here, such as the peeling dash, and some paint problems on the hood, but otherwise I'm satistied with the car. In town mpg is about 20 when I drive like a madman, but on the highway i get closer to 36mpg. Pretty good for a car with decent umph. Steering, throttle and breaks a lot more responsive than many japanese cars that i've drive.

The sound of the engine!

It was a good car when I was 18!
By Steph

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 5 years now. So far I have replaced the brakes/roters every year. I had to replace the radiator in 04'. Recently it has been constantly overheating. I went in today and they told me the head was cracked and the pistons were loose! I have put more money in repairs then what I bought it for! Off to the dealership to by a different car!

I like the sportyness off it! Its quick and snappy. It is defineatly a young persons car.

Cup holders that do not interfere with shifting. A more comfortable ride, I can feel every bump. A better dash, mine started to bubble after the first summer I had it.

Love My Coupe!
By ms.cheski

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 18 months now and love it! This car had nearly 77k miles on it when purchased and we're up to 106k. I have the V6 motor and it has some serious power. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but we're not too ginger, either. Around town we get 22-24, highway we've gotten up to 27 when she's all tuned up. Its solid and does well in the snow, too. There have been a couple issues with tie rods and once our rotors were practically rusted through- but I think they were cheap parts as we have not had the problem again. There is some issue with a few sensor lights coming on even tho nothing is wrong-I just ignore it. Only trading in because I'm pregnant and we need four doors.

Handling, Exterior Styling, Stereo is Awesome, Roomy Backseat, rear seat folds down for extra trunk space, Comfort, so much fun to drive-really hugs the road and handles jerky manuevers like a dream. I feel very safe in this car, my cousins have an 01 sedan that has been great for them as well.

I'm racking my brain and all I can think of is the issue with the sensors. Apparently there is a harness that can be put on the solve the problem. I don't have it and the traction control is disabled when the sensors go off-but the car still handles great without it.

Great car!
By kr

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for almost 8 years. I bought it in 2001 and it only had about 9000 miles on it. It was previously a rental car out of the state of Washington. This car still runs almost like new! I change the oil every 3000 miles and do basic maintenance (very minimal). This car has had a security problem (fixed for about $300.00 with no other problems), and also has had the rotors replaced 2x but I guess that should be expected with 180,000 miles. This has been a GREAT car and I would highly recommend it. I am even considering buying another when this one finally quits.

The tire pressure monitor has helped me know when one tire is going flat. The upgraded standard options in this vehicle are superior to other vehicles. Handles good in the snow.

The rotors could be improved.