2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
GM fooled me once but never again!
By ihateGM! on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car buy ever. Peeling dashboard at 36K miles, rack & pinion and tie rods needed replaced at 38K miles. And I'll spare you all the other repairs under $500. Yes, I'm still driving it after 10 years, but when your car has $0 trade-in value at year 4, what choice does one have? (The dealer says to replace the dashboard is over $2000 to repair). My father was UAW and I never thought I'd say this but my next car won't be an American brand. GM, shame on you! The government bailout money will be the last penny of mine you'll ever get from me.

Great car
By jon on 07/14/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

This is a good strong car built by GM. I've driven it to the ground and have had to replace rotors, a/c and a few electrical components. It's definitely a well-built car. I've experienced some problems mentioned by other people here, such as the peeling dash, and some paint problems on the hood, but otherwise I'm satistied with the car. In town mpg is about 20 when I drive like a madman, but on the highway i get closer to 36mpg. Pretty good for a car with decent umph. Steering, throttle and breaks a lot more responsive than many japanese cars that i've drive.

Do Not Buy This Car
By hatethiscar on 11/17/06 11:37 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Alero in 2002. The drivetrain has been fairly reliable except for some suspension problems. The real problem for me has been with the interior bits. Among other things, I've run into: 1. Two speakers inexplicably stopped working. The worked just fined once I replaced them (with original wiring even). 2. The A/C controls are messed up. The fan will only work on the two highest settings. 3. It has a peeling dash. 4. I have four (count 'em!) non-working power windows. I've had both front windows repaired multiple times, but they never seem to work longer than 6-8 months before failing again. This is, far and away, the most annoying problem I've had with the car.

Stay away from this car.
By Aubreysdad on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

Bought used from CarMax dealer. After two months (only 29k miles on car), fuel pump has to be replaced, side mirror breaks off and replaced, dash starts peeling away and repaired, shifter nob breaks and replaced. Sure, a little less expensive than Japanese, but you'll pay more in the long run. Went back to CarMax, took $1800 hickie on appraisal, and traded in for Honda.

YOU'LL BE SORRY............I WAS !!!!!!!
By kuld@N.J on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

Where do I start???It all started at 7000 miles.Matter a fact,it is still going on.The car was to the dealer about 13 times already.The problems were;check engine light(dealer said it was only gas cap problem,The next day I broke down on the highway.It turns out the guts inside the catalitic converter broke apart.It took 9 trips to the dealer to figure that one out and a lawyer.When that went so did the muffler.The light came on again,this time oxygen sensors blew.From there on the car has been back for a alternator,door gasket,gas cap problems and a fan motor next week.