2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
2000 alero after 11 years
By mountaintop1 on 11/14/11 09:11 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car, great mileage, and very little problems. 108000 miles so far, can't complain I will be buying a new car soon, I hope it will be as good.

I'm going to miss this car
By chris on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car Brand New from the dealer. we've had it for 10 yrs now and its been wonderful. Very few problems the fuel pump went at 70k which i hear is very common, and we've replaced all the power window switches. everything else is great, very fun to drive and very roomy. I'm trading it in and I'm going to miss this car.

GM fooled me once but never again!
By ihateGM! on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car buy ever. Peeling dashboard at 36K miles, rack & pinion and tie rods needed replaced at 38K miles. And I'll spare you all the other repairs under $500. Yes, I'm still driving it after 10 years, but when your car has $0 trade-in value at year 4, what choice does one have? (The dealer says to replace the dashboard is over $2000 to repair). My father was UAW and I never thought I'd say this but my next car won't be an American brand. GM, shame on you! The government bailout money will be the last penny of mine you'll ever get from me.

B-E-A-UTIFUL!
By SkaterHick on 12/23/09 20:08 PM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Over all an amazing car. Reliable, handles well in the snow, and over all speedy. the only draw backs would be a wavy interior on the dash.

Trash Heap
By Wildplrbear on 11/06/09 19:08 PM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years and treated it like an old man would. It did not love me back, it constantly bit the hand that feed it. The car is horribly constructed. It has built in flaws that are unfixable and dangerous. It completely broke down with 112000 miles. By break down, I mean it gave up on life. I do not believe it is even ok to sell this car to someone. I plan on taking it to a junk yard and asking them to destroy it. Did not start 15% of the time because of security system issues, new bearings every 15K miles, windows that stop working every winter, bad head gaskets, bad intake gaskets, new breaks every 20K miles, shorting wires on a semiannual basis.

Great car
By jon on 07/14/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

This is a good strong car built by GM. I've driven it to the ground and have had to replace rotors, a/c and a few electrical components. It's definitely a well-built car. I've experienced some problems mentioned by other people here, such as the peeling dash, and some paint problems on the hood, but otherwise I'm satistied with the car. In town mpg is about 20 when I drive like a madman, but on the highway i get closer to 36mpg. Pretty good for a car with decent umph. Steering, throttle and breaks a lot more responsive than many japanese cars that i've drive.

Great car!
By kr on 10/12/08 19:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for almost 8 years. I bought it in 2001 and it only had about 9000 miles on it. It was previously a rental car out of the state of Washington. This car still runs almost like new! I change the oil every 3000 miles and do basic maintenance (very minimal). This car has had a security problem (fixed for about $300.00 with no other problems), and also has had the rotors replaced 2x but I guess that should be expected with 180,000 miles. This has been a GREAT car and I would highly recommend it. I am even considering buying another when this one finally quits.

I Love Oldsmobiles!
By Jennifer Carnahan on 09/22/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought my 2000 Alero used in 2005 when it had about 86,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem with my car. It has been a great first vehicle for me. Still runs great with 130,000 miles on it.

Stay away from GM
By Patrick on 07/04/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Major repairs: Transmission blew up at 95,000 miles, although 80% of my driving is on the highway. Replaced fuel pump at 60,000. Minor repairs: Two stuck front calipers. 1 front wheel bearing, intermittent driver side power window. Leaking intake gasket and transmission gasket. Power steering hose disconnected. Fan resistor replaced twice. I do expect the car to have some things to fix once in a while, but I do not accept a premature transmission or fuel pump failure. GM, you fooled me.

Nice Car
By lbsorensen on 05/15/08 11:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 6 years ago. The kids were much smaller then. Now that they are leggy teens, the back seat is small for 3 of them. But I find that the car is a great family vehicle. nice body style, and fairly peppy.