Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

About to retire black beauty after 291,000km
By mcalpine

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car years ago used from a car dealer in Scarborough. It was very cheap (probably because of 5spd gear box and dent in hood) and my expectations were quite low. I just needed a car for the winter. It lasted a LOT longer than one winter. The 2.4l engine feels gutless in normal driving but when you put your foot down it picks up the pace nicely, albeit with plenty of noise which seems to be typical of GM four cylinders. I have full records of what has been replaced from new: Connecting pipe, small vacuum hose, blower motor resistor, rear window heating module, rear speakers, all struts/shocks/springs, gas cap, brakes x3 with new calipers, emerg brake cable, drivers seat back.

Favorite Features

This car is very comfortable to drive and gets good mileage on the highway. This is especially true if you change the spark plugs every 100,000km. It likes 10W30 oil in the summer and 5W30 in winter. All maintenance on this car is very easy to do. The engine has been 100% reliable.

Suggested Improvements

This car has one big problem for those of us in the north. Rust. I learned, too late, that there's a manufacturing defect where the rear windows on the coupe weren't properly weather sealed and water leaks down inside rotting out the metal at the bottom from the inside out. Rust also attacks the leading edge of the hood quite badly. I've seen others with a lot of rust around the rear wheels, but mine isn't affected here.

It was a good car when I was 18!
By Steph

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 5 years now. So far I have replaced the brakes/roters every year. I had to replace the radiator in 04'. Recently it has been constantly overheating. I went in today and they told me the head was cracked and the pistons were loose! I have put more money in repairs then what I bought it for! Off to the dealership to by a different car!

Favorite Features

I like the sportyness off it! Its quick and snappy. It is defineatly a young persons car.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders that do not interfere with shifting. A more comfortable ride, I can feel every bump. A better dash, mine started to bubble after the first summer I had it.

Love My Coupe!
By ms.cheski

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 18 months now and love it! This car had nearly 77k miles on it when purchased and we're up to 106k. I have the V6 motor and it has some serious power. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but we're not too ginger, either. Around town we get 22-24, highway we've gotten up to 27 when she's all tuned up. Its solid and does well in the snow, too. There have been a couple issues with tie rods and once our rotors were practically rusted through- but I think they were cheap parts as we have not had the problem again. There is some issue with a few sensor lights coming on even tho nothing is wrong-I just ignore it. Only trading in because I'm pregnant and we need four doors.

Favorite Features

Handling, Exterior Styling, Stereo is Awesome, Roomy Backseat, rear seat folds down for extra trunk space, Comfort, so much fun to drive-really hugs the road and handles jerky manuevers like a dream. I feel very safe in this car, my cousins have an 01 sedan that has been great for them as well.

Suggested Improvements

I'm racking my brain and all I can think of is the issue with the sensors. Apparently there is a harness that can be put on the solve the problem. I don't have it and the traction control is disabled when the sensors go off-but the car still handles great without it.

my car
By rachel miller

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

This is the first Olds. Alero that I've ever owned and I love it I've had it two years and its an excellent car and its fast I've modified the motor a little and put new exhaust on it

Favorite Features

I like the interior a lot and i love the speed

Suggested Improvements

I'm getting it repainted b/c I'm bored with the color I have on it now

Watch out for 80000, its a doozy!!
By Robyn

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I love the way my car looks and handles (it's the 3.4L v6 coupe) I do not like the way the intake manifold gasket fails, the dash peels or the control arm bushings squeak. Nice power (can beat the boys at a light, is quick off the line)and huge sunroof, but can prove costly when repairs are needed.

Favorite Features

Big sunroof, cute spoiler, power everything and smooth ride with tight handling that corners well.

Suggested Improvements

Shame on them for a v6 with consistent failures (dexcool lasts 100,000 miles?? and a lower gasket that will inevitably leak). A warning to all grand-am owners with the 3.4 v6...you're riding around on the same engine...maybe Olds should throw in the towels...(ha!)