Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
About to retire black beauty after 291,000km
By mcalpine on 01/24/13 06:43 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car years ago used from a car dealer in Scarborough. It was very cheap (probably because of 5spd gear box and dent in hood) and my expectations were quite low. I just needed a car for the winter. It lasted a LOT longer than one winter. The 2.4l engine feels gutless in normal driving but when you put your foot down it picks up the pace nicely, albeit with plenty of noise which seems to be typical of GM four cylinders. I have full records of what has been replaced from new: Connecting pipe, small vacuum hose, blower motor resistor, rear window heating module, rear speakers, all struts/shocks/springs, gas cap, brakes x3 with new calipers, emerg brake cable, drivers seat back.

It was a good car when I was 18!
By Steph on 06/18/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 5 years now. So far I have replaced the brakes/roters every year. I had to replace the radiator in 04'. Recently it has been constantly overheating. I went in today and they told me the head was cracked and the pistons were loose! I have put more money in repairs then what I bought it for! Off to the dealership to by a different car!

Love My Coupe!
By ms.cheski on 03/03/09 05:54 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 18 months now and love it! This car had nearly 77k miles on it when purchased and we're up to 106k. I have the V6 motor and it has some serious power. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but we're not too ginger, either. Around town we get 22-24, highway we've gotten up to 27 when she's all tuned up. Its solid and does well in the snow, too. There have been a couple issues with tie rods and once our rotors were practically rusted through- but I think they were cheap parts as we have not had the problem again. There is some issue with a few sensor lights coming on even tho nothing is wrong-I just ignore it. Only trading in because I'm pregnant and we need four doors.

my car
By rachel miller on 06/18/08 06:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

This is the first Olds. Alero that I've ever owned and I love it I've had it two years and its an excellent car and its fast I've modified the motor a little and put new exhaust on it

Watch out for 80000, its a doozy!!
By Robyn on 03/19/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I love the way my car looks and handles (it's the 3.4L v6 coupe) I do not like the way the intake manifold gasket fails, the dash peels or the control arm bushings squeak. Nice power (can beat the boys at a light, is quick off the line)and huge sunroof, but can prove costly when repairs are needed.

Reliable and Stylish
By lisa on 02/05/07 22:09 PM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I never had a problem with either one of my Aleros. I owned a '99 and then a 2000! Oldsmobile finally came out with a beautiful, fun car that blew Pontiac and Buick out of the water.

Good Solid Vehicle
By My Review on 07/19/05 12:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I bought my '00 Alero brand new. I was going to purchase a Grand Am, but once I drove the Alero, I knew it was the right choice. I have the GLS V6 2- door. I don't know if this is different than some of the bad reviews I've read on this site or not, but my Alero has been great. I have 140K miles on it, and my mechanic says that it is still running strong. I feel it is a solid car.

Put the brakes on...
By Andrea Nel on 06/13/05 20:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

Fun car to drive, stylish, roomy in the front, and love the air flowing to the back seat and removable ash tray that turns into a cup holder. This car was so close to my dream car until the mechanical problems started. Replaced brake rotors twice, water pump, and now am experiencing problems with the fan and the annoying blinker switch noise (anyone who has one knows what I'm talking about), problems with starting the car due to a electrical problem all before 75,000. My extended warranty ends at 85,000, and I'm sure I'll make use of it. Not the most mechanically dependable car I ever owned. Very nickle and dime on the mechanics...

CAUTION!
By CAUTION!!!! on 03/19/05 07:56 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

Bought my Alero because I had rented one once and fell in love with its performance and ride. It is really fast for a coupe. If you are considering buying one from a dealer you better get the extended warranty! I have replaced the rotors on the front (big problem with Aleros). The lower intake gasket leaked so that screwed up the antifreeze. The resistor that controls the blower motor burned out. There is a rattling noise in front suspension that I can't seem to find. Fortunately I got the extended warranty! I'd be out a few thousand if I hadn't. Depreciation is ridiculous! Paid $11,000 for it in 2002 and its now worth $6,000 retail/$4,000 trade. I owe $8000.

Former Toyota Owner
By S. Racer on 12/24/04 06:48 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

My first car ever was a '72 Nova SS. The mechanic saw this car more than I did. This experience made me vow to never own an American car. I've owned 4 Toyotas, including an MR2 (best car I've ever had). When the Alero came out, I had to go back on my vow. I currently am driving a slick looking black V-6 coupe. Only major problem I've had was a power steering leak. Besides this, my Alero's quality build has been much better than what I expected. The power under the hood is scary (I'm thinking about getting a radar detector). Seating is good in the front AND the back. The styling is terrific! Beware: This car drinks gas like crazy. Besides this, it's a very fun & cool car to drive.