2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Love My Coupe!
By ms.cheski on 03/03/09 05:54 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 18 months now and love it! This car had nearly 77k miles on it when purchased and we're up to 106k. I have the V6 motor and it has some serious power. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but we're not too ginger, either. Around town we get 22-24, highway we've gotten up to 27 when she's all tuned up. Its solid and does well in the snow, too. There have been a couple issues with tie rods and once our rotors were practically rusted through- but I think they were cheap parts as we have not had the problem again. There is some issue with a few sensor lights coming on even tho nothing is wrong-I just ignore it. Only trading in because I'm pregnant and we need four doors.

CAUTION!
By CAUTION!!!! on 03/19/05 07:56 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought my Alero because I had rented one once and fell in love with its performance and ride. It is really fast for a coupe. If you are considering buying one from a dealer you better get the extended warranty! I have replaced the rotors on the front (big problem with Aleros). The lower intake gasket leaked so that screwed up the antifreeze. The resistor that controls the blower motor burned out. There is a rattling noise in front suspension that I can't seem to find. Fortunately I got the extended warranty! I'd be out a few thousand if I hadn't. Depreciation is ridiculous! Paid $11,000 for it in 2002 and its now worth $6,000 retail/$4,000 trade. I owe $8000.

Former Toyota Owner
By S. Racer on 12/24/04 06:48 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

My first car ever was a '72 Nova SS. The mechanic saw this car more than I did. This experience made me vow to never own an American car. I've owned 4 Toyotas, including an MR2 (best car I've ever had). When the Alero came out, I had to go back on my vow. I currently am driving a slick looking black V-6 coupe. Only major problem I've had was a power steering leak. Besides this, my Alero's quality build has been much better than what I expected. The power under the hood is scary (I'm thinking about getting a radar detector). Seating is good in the front AND the back. The styling is terrific! Beware: This car drinks gas like crazy. Besides this, it's a very fun & cool car to drive.

Great College Car
By luminesa on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

My parents and I bought this car for my use during college. It gets wonderful fuel mileage, which is great for all of the driving I do. The space available to load my luggage in is also wonderful. The body of the car is very stylish--great for a young student.

satisfied owner
By bthompso_99 on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought used two years old with 25,000 miles. Several problems while it was still under warranty. CD player was replaced, driver side window motor replaced, blower electrical controls replaced, cruise went out, rotor problem. No major problems since warranty expired. Other than these mostly electrical problems the car has been fun to drive and for the most part a reliable vehicle that met our needs. Traded it off for a larger vehicle with growing family. If not for the need of a larger vehicle we would have kept it for a few more years.

Poor quality
By joe joe on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Very disappointed in the quality. Nothing like buying a car and watching depreciation fall through the floor after 2 years, (paid 11k, trade in offer of 2.5k, 50k total milage) OUCH!. All sorts of irratating problems like electrical, workmanship. No major problems for the first 50k but didnt wait around for that to happen. Dumped for a loss, didnt trust it over the long haul. Very disappointed with GM on this and went with a Honda.

Brakes are the only real problem
By linenoise on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought new in 1999 (it's a 2000 Coupe with 2.4l) Other than the usual problems with Alero's (Brake Rotor/Hazard switch) this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have 53K on it and the brake rotors are my only service items (twice but due for a 3rd), if considering drive the 2.4l and the 3.4 and you'll find that the 2.l4 seems smoother and quite fun.

Too many flaws!!!
By grimbaldi on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Alero GL equipped with the 2.4L engine 2DR with approx. 19,000 miles on it as a program vehicle. Within the 1st 6 months of owning this vehicle I had to have the following items fixed/replaced: Replaced Struts Reseal rear windshield Re-mount trunk Deck lid Driver's side window fell into door (broken power window mech.) Had to replace Rotors @ 38,000 miles Aside from these problems the car has not been too bad thus far. Engine & road noise is a considerable detriment to this car. Also the deflation of the car's value has been extremely disappointing!!! This car becomes practically worthless not long after owning it.

maybe mine's a lemon?
By texweber on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I'd had my eye on Alero's for quite awhile, and was very impressed with how affordable they were and the features that were included. I have a 2000 model with about 65K on it, and unfortunately have spent too much money on all kinds of maintenance problems. Less than a year into the buy I had to have the rotors and tires replaced, and a year after that I'm in a world of hurt with a new thermostat and potentially a gasket leak. It's fun to drive, and I've been more than happy with it up til recently, but don't have a lot of faith in it anymore. Maybe it's just the V6, but I can't keep gas in the thing either.

Great Car
By rjwolps on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I love my Alero. I have had it a little over 2 years and have about 65,000 miles it. It runs great and I get about 34 mpg on the highway. It is very comfortable and fun to drive. It is a very good car for the money. The only complaint is the same compliant that I have had for other Olds' products - the brakes. They don't last and the rotors warp too easialy. I have a lot of miles on my car, but they are almost exclusively highway miles. The original brakes should have lasted a lot longer than about 40,000 because I don't use them that much.