Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Love My Coupe!
By ms.cheski

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 18 months now and love it! This car had nearly 77k miles on it when purchased and we're up to 106k. I have the V6 motor and it has some serious power. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but we're not too ginger, either. Around town we get 22-24, highway we've gotten up to 27 when she's all tuned up. Its solid and does well in the snow, too. There have been a couple issues with tie rods and once our rotors were practically rusted through- but I think they were cheap parts as we have not had the problem again. There is some issue with a few sensor lights coming on even tho nothing is wrong-I just ignore it. Only trading in because I'm pregnant and we need four doors.

Handling, Exterior Styling, Stereo is Awesome, Roomy Backseat, rear seat folds down for extra trunk space, Comfort, so much fun to drive-really hugs the road and handles jerky manuevers like a dream. I feel very safe in this car, my cousins have an 01 sedan that has been great for them as well.

I'm racking my brain and all I can think of is the issue with the sensors. Apparently there is a harness that can be put on the solve the problem. I don't have it and the traction control is disabled when the sensors go off-but the car still handles great without it.

CAUTION!
By CAUTION!!!!

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought my Alero because I had rented one once and fell in love with its performance and ride. It is really fast for a coupe. If you are considering buying one from a dealer you better get the extended warranty! I have replaced the rotors on the front (big problem with Aleros). The lower intake gasket leaked so that screwed up the antifreeze. The resistor that controls the blower motor burned out. There is a rattling noise in front suspension that I can't seem to find. Fortunately I got the extended warranty! I'd be out a few thousand if I hadn't. Depreciation is ridiculous! Paid $11,000 for it in 2002 and its now worth $6,000 retail/$4,000 trade. I owe $8000.

Acceleration!

They can't fix anything since Olds went under.

Former Toyota Owner
By S. Racer

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

My first car ever was a '72 Nova SS. The mechanic saw this car more than I did. This experience made me vow to never own an American car. I've owned 4 Toyotas, including an MR2 (best car I've ever had). When the Alero came out, I had to go back on my vow. I currently am driving a slick looking black V-6 coupe. Only major problem I've had was a power steering leak. Besides this, my Alero's quality build has been much better than what I expected. The power under the hood is scary (I'm thinking about getting a radar detector). Seating is good in the front AND the back. The styling is terrific! Beware: This car drinks gas like crazy. Besides this, it's a very fun & cool car to drive.

Power from the V-6 (yesss); Rear spoiler; 6 spoke aluminum wheels; power sunroof; headlight design; and the "tiny" unobtrusive fog lights.

Stickier tires. I replaced the originals with Falken Ziex's. I'm puzzled as to why GM discontinued this car because in my town, all I see are Aleros. This is very disappointing when you want to drive a unique car like this.

Great College Car
By luminesa

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

My parents and I bought this car for my use during college. It gets wonderful fuel mileage, which is great for all of the driving I do. The space available to load my luggage in is also wonderful. The body of the car is very stylish--great for a young student.

I love the way this car looks in black- -very sporty. I also like the way it handles.

satisfied owner
By bthompso_99

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

Bought used two years old with 25,000 miles. Several problems while it was still under warranty. CD player was replaced, driver side window motor replaced, blower electrical controls replaced, cruise went out, rotor problem. No major problems since warranty expired. Other than these mostly electrical problems the car has been fun to drive and for the most part a reliable vehicle that met our needs. Traded it off for a larger vehicle with growing family. If not for the need of a larger vehicle we would have kept it for a few more years.

interior and exterior design, peppy V6, comfortable, affordable

Electrical system should be more stable, although mine could have been a manufacturing glitch

• SUV