2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
About to retire black beauty after 291,000km
By mcalpine on 01/24/13 06:43 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car years ago used from a car dealer in Scarborough. It was very cheap (probably because of 5spd gear box and dent in hood) and my expectations were quite low. I just needed a car for the winter. It lasted a LOT longer than one winter. The 2.4l engine feels gutless in normal driving but when you put your foot down it picks up the pace nicely, albeit with plenty of noise which seems to be typical of GM four cylinders. I have full records of what has been replaced from new: Connecting pipe, small vacuum hose, blower motor resistor, rear window heating module, rear speakers, all struts/shocks/springs, gas cap, brakes x3 with new calipers, emerg brake cable, drivers seat back.

2000 alero after 11 years
By mountaintop1 on 11/14/11 09:11 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car, great mileage, and very little problems. 108000 miles so far, can't complain I will be buying a new car soon, I hope it will be as good.

I'm going to miss this car
By chris on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car Brand New from the dealer. we've had it for 10 yrs now and its been wonderful. Very few problems the fuel pump went at 70k which i hear is very common, and we've replaced all the power window switches. everything else is great, very fun to drive and very roomy. I'm trading it in and I'm going to miss this car.

GM fooled me once but never again!
By ihateGM! on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car buy ever. Peeling dashboard at 36K miles, rack & pinion and tie rods needed replaced at 38K miles. And I'll spare you all the other repairs under $500. Yes, I'm still driving it after 10 years, but when your car has $0 trade-in value at year 4, what choice does one have? (The dealer says to replace the dashboard is over $2000 to repair). My father was UAW and I never thought I'd say this but my next car won't be an American brand. GM, shame on you! The government bailout money will be the last penny of mine you'll ever get from me.

B-E-A-UTIFUL!
By SkaterHick on 12/23/09 20:08 PM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Over all an amazing car. Reliable, handles well in the snow, and over all speedy. the only draw backs would be a wavy interior on the dash.

Trash Heap
By Wildplrbear on 11/06/09 19:08 PM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years and treated it like an old man would. It did not love me back, it constantly bit the hand that feed it. The car is horribly constructed. It has built in flaws that are unfixable and dangerous. It completely broke down with 112000 miles. By break down, I mean it gave up on life. I do not believe it is even ok to sell this car to someone. I plan on taking it to a junk yard and asking them to destroy it. Did not start 15% of the time because of security system issues, new bearings every 15K miles, windows that stop working every winter, bad head gaskets, bad intake gaskets, new breaks every 20K miles, shorting wires on a semiannual basis.

Great car
By jon on 07/14/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This is a good strong car built by GM. I've driven it to the ground and have had to replace rotors, a/c and a few electrical components. It's definitely a well-built car. I've experienced some problems mentioned by other people here, such as the peeling dash, and some paint problems on the hood, but otherwise I'm satistied with the car. In town mpg is about 20 when I drive like a madman, but on the highway i get closer to 36mpg. Pretty good for a car with decent umph. Steering, throttle and breaks a lot more responsive than many japanese cars that i've drive.

It was a good car when I was 18!
By Steph on 06/18/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 5 years now. So far I have replaced the brakes/roters every year. I had to replace the radiator in 04'. Recently it has been constantly overheating. I went in today and they told me the head was cracked and the pistons were loose! I have put more money in repairs then what I bought it for! Off to the dealership to by a different car!

Love My Coupe!
By ms.cheski on 03/03/09 05:54 AM (PST)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 18 months now and love it! This car had nearly 77k miles on it when purchased and we're up to 106k. I have the V6 motor and it has some serious power. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but we're not too ginger, either. Around town we get 22-24, highway we've gotten up to 27 when she's all tuned up. Its solid and does well in the snow, too. There have been a couple issues with tie rods and once our rotors were practically rusted through- but I think they were cheap parts as we have not had the problem again. There is some issue with a few sensor lights coming on even tho nothing is wrong-I just ignore it. Only trading in because I'm pregnant and we need four doors.

Great car!
By kr on 10/12/08 19:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for almost 8 years. I bought it in 2001 and it only had about 9000 miles on it. It was previously a rental car out of the state of Washington. This car still runs almost like new! I change the oil every 3000 miles and do basic maintenance (very minimal). This car has had a security problem (fixed for about $300.00 with no other problems), and also has had the rotors replaced 2x but I guess that should be expected with 180,000 miles. This has been a GREAT car and I would highly recommend it. I am even considering buying another when this one finally quits.