Used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

About to retire black beauty after 291,000km
By mcalpine

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car years ago used from a car dealer in Scarborough. It was very cheap (probably because of 5spd gear box and dent in hood) and my expectations were quite low. I just needed a car for the winter. It lasted a LOT longer than one winter. The 2.4l engine feels gutless in normal driving but when you put your foot down it picks up the pace nicely, albeit with plenty of noise which seems to be typical of GM four cylinders. I have full records of what has been replaced from new: Connecting pipe, small vacuum hose, blower motor resistor, rear window heating module, rear speakers, all struts/shocks/springs, gas cap, brakes x3 with new calipers, emerg brake cable, drivers seat back.

This car is very comfortable to drive and gets good mileage on the highway. This is especially true if you change the spark plugs every 100,000km. It likes 10W30 oil in the summer and 5W30 in winter. All maintenance on this car is very easy to do. The engine has been 100% reliable.

This car has one big problem for those of us in the north. Rust. I learned, too late, that there's a manufacturing defect where the rear windows on the coupe weren't properly weather sealed and water leaks down inside rotting out the metal at the bottom from the inside out. Rust also attacks the leading edge of the hood quite badly. I've seen others with a lot of rust around the rear wheels, but mine isn't affected here.

2000 alero after 11 years
By mountaintop1

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car, great mileage, and very little problems. 108000 miles so far, can't complain I will be buying a new car soon, I hope it will be as good.

I love the gas mileage, and all the power features. The no touch headlights is a big plus, I am glad they had that feature. The car performs perfectly for my needs and comes up the mountain just fine, thank you with the 2.4l engine even with the AC on.

The power windows could be beefier, I had to replace 3 of the four motors over the years. I did them myself, and changing the motors was relatively easy.

I'm going to miss this car
By chris

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car Brand New from the dealer. we've had it for 10 yrs now and its been wonderful. Very few problems the fuel pump went at 70k which i hear is very common, and we've replaced all the power window switches. everything else is great, very fun to drive and very roomy. I'm trading it in and I'm going to miss this car.

auto lights low tire light ABS button, stereo

none

GM fooled me once but never again!
By ihateGM!

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car buy ever. Peeling dashboard at 36K miles, rack & pinion and tie rods needed replaced at 38K miles. And I'll spare you all the other repairs under $500. Yes, I'm still driving it after 10 years, but when your car has $0 trade-in value at year 4, what choice does one have? (The dealer says to replace the dashboard is over $2000 to repair). My father was UAW and I never thought I'd say this but my next car won't be an American brand. GM, shame on you! The government bailout money will be the last penny of mine you'll ever get from me.

Any favorites feature I had were long forgotten now that I've been driving with a peeling dashboard for the past 7 years. It's a daily reminder of GM quality and lack of customer service.

There is nothing GM can do to get this customer back.

B-E-A-UTIFUL!
By SkaterHick

2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Over all an amazing car. Reliable, handles well in the snow, and over all speedy. the only draw backs would be a wavy interior on the dash.