Perhaps this Car Could have Saved Oldsmobile
By R.E. Saif on
1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan
I bought my '99 Oldsmobile Alero GLS in Oct. 2002 as a replacment for my '93 Mercury Tracer LTS. It was a zippy little car, but I wanted something bigger. The car was listed below KBB, fully loaded and was too good to pass up with 82,000 miles on the clock. I now have over 142,000 miles on it and have gotten by with few problems. The motor is strong and pulls hard for being "outdated". The only repairs I have done have been the intake gaskets, belt tensioner, alternator and MAF sensor. I regularly take the car to Ohio and WV and it has never let me down. I am now on the hunt for another Alero with fewer miles to replace it. I love the car, so when that time comes, it will be extremely painful to part with.
Favorite Features
I love how the console shifter gives you the option to shift the car manually given the fact that a 5-speed isn't even offered. The suspension is tight and handles the twisties with ease. At night with the foglamps on, the car looks darned aggressive.
Suggested Improvements
The gas milage is kinda stinky. Beef up the door panels and seats. A manual transmission would be awesome. Replace the 3400 with the Intrigue's 215-horse motor. And most important: don't stop making Oldsmobiles! Its a disgrace and extreme injustice. Ransom E. Olds must be turning over in his grave right now!