Alero's are really death traps
By sherri bett on
1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe
I would have my brake pedal go to the floor with no warning. Once this happened I quickly released the pedal and then the pedal worked. Except one time. I was going down a steep hill, and when I put my foot on my brake pedal, I felt NOTHING! Talk about having my heart fall into my stomach, it scared me to death!! I pushed harder and harder on my brake pedal but nothing happened, and when it hit the floor, my life flashed in front of my eyes! I pushed and pumped my brake pedal but nothing happened, my brakes were failing!! I just went into shock when I touched my brake and felt nothing. I was almost at the guard rail, I pumped them one more time and they finally came back and I didn't die
Favorite Features
selling it
Suggested Improvements
Fix the brakes now!! I will never forget the terror of pushing on my brake pedal and nothing happenning! I can still remember seeing the guard rail coming and my foot and brake pedal on the floor and my car speeding up and every time I pushed on my brake pedal it felt like I was stepping on air!!!
By benjito
on 06/17/12 20:32 PM (PDT)

The best thing to do would probably have been to pull the E-brake. Did you ever figure out why the brakes were not working?

By sherrir_13
on 01/26/13 07:19 AM (PST)

Mechanics never could tell me why the brakes kept failing. But it was so scary because unlike the previous times when my brake pedal went to the floor, this time they did not come back. I can still remember so vividly, turning down the hill, and gently tapping my brake pedal to begin to slow down. The moment my foot touched my brake pedal I felt nothing! Usually I would feel some resistance, but I noticed when I gently tapped my brake, the pedal would not respond. So I pressed on my brake pedal harder and to my horror it went straight to the floor! I quickly released my brake pedal and began pumping my pedal as hard as I could but nothing happened! I saw the guard rail coming and I had both of my feet on my brake pedal stomping it through the floor! I remember the mechanic one time told me I was low on brake fluid, but I never saw any puddles around my car. All I know is the moment my foot touched my brake pedal I could feel nothing!