Used 1999 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Buyer Beware
By Mel

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for less than two years. During this time I have replaced the alternator, water pump, driver side window motor, sensor on engine, ABS sensor,wheel bearings,repair emergency brake, coil for spark plugs, brakes and rotors. It is low mileage for a 1999 - only 68,000 miles. Each time we repair it, we think we'll be okay for a while. I am tired of the cost and am searching for another reliable car now.

I like the sporty look, sunroof, and how it is so stylish.

Improve the reliability, at least they don't make them anymore!

1999 Oldsmobile Alero
By Shanaenae

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over a year ago without an engine, as the teen who owned it before me was hard on the car. After replacing the engine, the car has been fine, except for a little problem. IT FOGS! This car is great in the summer, the AC works like a dream, but in the winter, if there is more than one person in the car, or the heat is on, the windows fog so that you cannot see out of it. I have to roll down the passenger window, thank goodness it's auto, to see into that mirror. Once it starts to fog, you either have to turn off the heat to prevent it, and hence be cold, or turn on defrost all the way. It is so annoying, and dangerous! Otherwise, the breaks squeak, and at least it's am American vehicle.

The sporty looks, good sound, and comfort.

There are just a few. The cup holder in the front is nearly unusable, and the small speakers that are in the door are a joke. These little speakers cannot handle a song with any bass, all they do is rattle.

'99 Alero - beware!
By bkonyu

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This car has had no end of problems at least for us - restarting issues, parts of the car coming off in my hand, constant replacement of major parts. It is very unreliable. This was the first model year, but come on. On the plus side, it does have good power - but the transmission seems to hamper its full utilization at times. It also is very comfortable. On the other hand we have a '99 Toyota Tercel that is small and wussy, but bullet proof! As a Cadillac mechanic friend once told me - don't buy North American vehicles.

The comfort and power everything. The upgraded stereo rocks compared to the base.

It needs to have better build quality, it is typical of a North American produced vehicle - throw everything on a vehicle for as cheap as possible and hope it works.

Great car!
By Mich72

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Alero since 1999. I have NEVER had any major problems with my car. I have taken it in regularly for the maintenance and oil changes. My warranty just expired last year and the only things that I have had to replace is the motor for the power window. I would highly reccomend this car to anyone. Too bad they do not make them anymore!

My favorite features on my car are the sunroof and the stereo.. it is pretty good for manufacturer!

Not a good domestic purchase
By eric

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Don't buy an Alero. I have had the following problems with it: dash bubbling, intake gasket leaking, blower motor resistor, water pump, both windows have problems, etc. It really is ridiculous, if you look at the reviews for 99' 2-door Accords people have no problems. Overall, Aleros are quite unreliable with both big and little problems. But for the price you really can't beat it. The Alero has never left me stranded or broken down on the road. Most issues are well known and if you need a cheap $3,000 car you can't beat an Alero.

This car gets 30 mpg highway with a V6 which is very good for a cheap cheap, cheap car! The interior doesn't feel that old.

The only possible improvement has been taken by GM, which of course has been to drop Oldsmobile altogether.