1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Do youself a favor
By ;oaiuwsdhfoiau;shdf on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for two years. I've had the alternator replaced twice. $200 Dealership picked up the second one for me for free. The driver's side power window had to have the entire window system replaced when it broke. $100 The brakes wear down faster than any other car I've had. The tape player stopped working. I've lost pickup and power as soon as I got over 50k miles. The ignition casings malfunction and locked up, so the key wouldn't turn, that's $650 from the dealership. I bought it used, no warranty. I bought this car two years ago for $1500 below the blue book, and it's depreciated 50% in two years.

Aleros SUCK!
By Alero Hater on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

In the past 2 years we have replaced the parts the hold the windows up (both windows fell inside the doors, brakes, tires, water pump, altenator, belt (we had to lift the engine out to put it on), and that doesn't include everything is wrong with the car. I have my antilock brake/trac light go off once a week, my fan only works on the 3rd and 4th setting, and my cruise control button doesn't work. This car has been a pain value has depreciated, it's ridiculous! DON'T BUY THIS CAR! GET RID OF IT, if you own one.

Constant Repairs
By Lynn M. on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

Entire dashboard had to be replaced at 36K miles ($693); vinyl peeling off. Replaced the cruise ctrl switch at 37K miles ($151). Replaced the brakes & rotors at 41K miles ($251). Car stereo system at 45K miles ($400). New motor for pwr window at 50K miles ($500). Replaced water pump at 53K miles ($695). Replaced 2 more power window motors at 58K miles ($1K). Love the way the car drives & gas mileage, but repairs are more than any car I have ever owned. A person who takes as good of a car as I do shouldn't be having all of these problems.

If you know a car
By nflsonic on 06/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

I just received this car from graduation recently, and I'm totally surprised. My father had to fix this car up a bit, but now, the brakes are flawless and the minor problems (molding around the door was already fixed) are non-exsisting. I love the acceleration on this beauty and wherever I ride, I DO get some looks (kinda fun to point out cause I didn't before on my '89 Buick). If you can test this model, do it, but definitly try to point out the small problems if any. If you can find a seller that treated this car superb (my father- neat freak), than you will have many enjoyment rides than what other drivers say about this car.

Recommended to ALL buyers!!! GREAT CAR!
By Lolo D. on 06/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

These cars are easy and fun to drive. I had my Alero for more than a year, its a 1999. It has 71,000 miles on it and runs great. I can change the oil, brakes, and perform maintenance to my car very easily. Also, these cars are easy to "hook up" because there are cheap after-market parts everywhere. I would RECOMMEND THIS CAR TO ANYONE.

Excellent Car!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Jarrett G. on 06/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I love hauling my family around in this sporty car. The styling is great. I love the fact that I can wok on my car with minimal difficulties.

nice car but bad breaks and wheels
By sonya on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

had the car for 2 1/2 yrs constantly having troubles with breaks, just replaced last spring now we have to do again, cost $320 per side for new wheel barrings,it'a nice handling car, but as i said seems to have a lot of front end problems.

Had to give up on it
By groveland on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I loved this vehicle for the first 40k miles. Now I have to trade it in (and be upside down on the loan).In the last 2 months the wheel bearings/entire hub assembly replaced 3x's! My ABS AND ANTI LOCK light are on constantly,rear defroster doesn't work, driver side window regulator broken, 3 out of 6 heater speeds broken, intake manifold leak(very costly repair). I have taken very good care of this vehicle but I can not continue to make payments and pay all these costly repairs. I have read similiar problems on line w/ other Alero owners. Brakes,wheel bearings, ABS!!! Watch out- $250 per side.

Alero
By Neptune Nagrani on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Its a very good vehicle

Underrated
By jflakne on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

For me, this car is near perfect. Nicely balanced between performance and economy. Good acceration, decent handling (though a bit below the Mystique I owned previously), good gas mileage, seats four comfortably yet is small enough to maneuver easily in city traffic (and fit in my 50 year old garage!). One of the best cars I've owned in over a half century of driving. Too bad they have been discontinued.