1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Perhaps this Car Could have Saved Oldsmobile
By R.E. Saif on 11/21/05 01:43 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Oldsmobile Alero GLS in Oct. 2002 as a replacment for my '93 Mercury Tracer LTS. It was a zippy little car, but I wanted something bigger. The car was listed below KBB, fully loaded and was too good to pass up with 82,000 miles on the clock. I now have over 142,000 miles on it and have gotten by with few problems. The motor is strong and pulls hard for being "outdated". The only repairs I have done have been the intake gaskets, belt tensioner, alternator and MAF sensor. I regularly take the car to Ohio and WV and it has never let me down. I am now on the hunt for another Alero with fewer miles to replace it. I love the car, so when that time comes, it will be extremely painful to part with.

Alero - An Awesome Car
By mike on 11/03/05 20:42 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

My 1999 Oldsmobile Alero is a jewel. I love the ride. It hasn't had any engine problems. I used to have a Mitsubishi Eclipse and I am glad that I traded it in for an Alero.

Just the facts..
By Dean Morales on 08/08/05 07:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car as a commuter and daily drove it with 2 passengers for 3 years. I drove it on vacations and cross country. It handles well, (better than an Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, (my car pool partners vehicles and got better mileage) I see no difference in the quality and reliability. Its north of 89,000 miles now and is my daughter's college and roadtrip car. Zero problems in 5 years...

Owner
By A on 07/26/05 23:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

My 1999 Oldsmobile Alero has 102,000 miles and the motor is gone. I had to replace the wheel barings 2 times in the 4 years that I've had it. The power windows not very reliable and are very expensive to fix. Basicly, every 6 months there was something wrong with it. I fell in love with the car the first time I saw it. It's very fun to drive.

Alero's are death traps
By Sherri Bett on 06/16/05 11:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

My brake pedal went to the floor a lot and I almost got seriously hurt in 2000 with this thing. The mechanics kept fixing the brakes and a month later I'd be back at the shop.

Buy foreign, not an Alero
By Zach on 06/03/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is easily the worst car on the road. Had brakes replaced two months after purchase, then the power windows started to go. Driver-side replaced twice, passenger replaced once and needs to be replaced again. Alternator went out twice, electrical problems are constant, it took Oldsmobile 6 years to recognize a flaw that causes your hazards and turn signals to fail. Wheel bearings have been replaced at least 4 or 5 times, leather peeling off steering wheel. This car eats antifreeze like they're Pringles. There are many many more problems, just do yourself a favor and don't buy an Alero. Send a message to American auto manufacturers and buy foreign.

Fun car to Drive
By Love this car on 05/13/05 09:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Got this car in 2001. Love to drive it, love the looks I get. It handles great. I have the 3.4 lt and it's fun. The seats are so comfortable (leather) that I really enjoy long trips. Trunk is very spacious and the rear seats fold down for the longer stuff. Have not had any major problems. Those other people must have gotten lemons to have so many problems or they beat it to death. A car has to be taken care of not abused to keep it in good shape and running nice. I would buy another one. But I don't want to sell the one I have any time soon.

Save your pennies and buy something else
By muldoon on 03/16/05 00:01 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has to be a big joke. Yes the acceleration is somewhat spirited. However, it is not that great. My sisters' 4-cylinder Galant keeps up with its V6. Plus it has 98,000 miles and no problems. My Alero on the other hand has been in the shop 5 times. Right now at 85,000 the transmission is starting to slip and the air conditioning blower switch and a/c level selector don't work right. This car is trash! Take my advice and buy foriegn.

Look further
By $ in toilet on 12/24/04 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 2 door GL model used in 2002 because it was sporty, yet sophisticated. Since I have bought this car, the manifold gasket has had to be replaced twice (I am waiting for it to go out again this winter. This resulted in coolant leaking into the oil.) Also, the driver's side automatic window motor had to be replaced around 50k miles. I have had the front brakes and rotors replaced twice, the rear once. The trunk sometimes takes two tries to close, and it leaks. Brake pedal is too stiff. If you are looking at this car, I suggest to keep looking, or else buy an extened warranty. I bought one with the car, and I have used every penny of it!I am heading to the Volvo dealership next.

Happy Owner
By HavJon on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Excellent car, oil leak around pan gasket when first purchased, fixed under warranty and no more problems. Mech. strong and requires very little maintance.