Used 1999 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

runs good, and lasts long
By simmons1890

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

everything in this car worked out really good. it runs great. ive never had any problems with it. before i bought it i heard it wasnt a good car to have. but i love it. the look is great to, its a nice car to have, im glad i bought it

Favorite Features

interior

I like my Olds
By edin77

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Alero with 143 000 miles. It has been fairly abused and I bought it very cheap. After I washed it, changed oil and filter, replaced power steering pump(reason for sale), cleaned interior, and replaced thermostat and antifreeze among with spark plugs this car runs awesome. It has quite a bit of miles on it, but the 3.4l engine seems to perform very well. I like the fact that is fully loaded. Everything works electrically, and I like the fact that parts are very cheap. Brake pads online run for about $20, for example. Also, I think that this car will run for another 100,000 miles. No signs of giving up. Transmission runs very smooth. I think this might be one of the better GM cars. Thanks

Favorite Features

Dash board. Very nice organized, Also, my Olds is fully loaded, besides sunroof I can't even think of anything else..

Suggested Improvements

I think car is great for the price.

99 Olds Alero 4 door 4cyl
By Bob

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when I was 17 and beat it to poo. In the three years I owned it I put on 77,000 miles on top of the 45,000. I only had a few problems. It started without the key, gas gauge stopped working along with overflow every time I filled up, tranny slipped when I stomped on the gas. I never put any money into it, I traded it in for $500

Favorite Features

Hub caps, handling, OK gas mileage, power everything

Long term owner / teen driven
By Dean

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This car was bought for my carpool use. I put 60K miles on it in 3 years, mostly highway. Typical hwy 29 mpg (4 cyl) typical city 21-24 mpg. At 64K miles I turned it over to my then teenage druggie Daughter who thrashed it and abused it with her druggie friends for 4 more years. It became a transportation car and lets go to a rave car. I was overseas. The car was trashed. Now she is grownup and wised up and is fine. Car has 146K miles on it and the only thing that has gone wrong is the manual remote drivers mirror cable broke and the ignition switch broke. Other than that, just the usual brake work, fluid changes, (inc auto trans) and tires. Daughter is still driving it.

Favorite Features

Mileage, handling, looks, low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

moot point

cheaply made
By Joe

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is good looking and has a lot of pep. Unfortunately out of view the car is cheaply made. I bought the car with about 50k. The car was a one owner and well maintained so I expected only normal maintenance, but not so. The latest expense, the power window mechanisms have to be replaced,lf an rr, along with the lf window because the clamps that hold the window to the up and down track came off. This latest cost $530. Cruise control switch, front wheel bearings power steering problems in the past. The car has a lot of road noise and the dash is cracking. Ive been a GM fan for years but now I finally understand why so many people buy imports.