1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Buyer Beware
By Mel on 01/04/07 11:23 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for less than two years. During this time I have replaced the alternator, water pump, driver side window motor, sensor on engine, ABS sensor,wheel bearings,repair emergency brake, coil for spark plugs, brakes and rotors. It is low mileage for a 1999 - only 68,000 miles. Each time we repair it, we think we'll be okay for a while. I am tired of the cost and am searching for another reliable car now.

1999 Oldsmobile Alero
By Shanaenae on 12/21/06 16:47 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over a year ago without an engine, as the teen who owned it before me was hard on the car. After replacing the engine, the car has been fine, except for a little problem. IT FOGS! This car is great in the summer, the AC works like a dream, but in the winter, if there is more than one person in the car, or the heat is on, the windows fog so that you cannot see out of it. I have to roll down the passenger window, thank goodness it's auto, to see into that mirror. Once it starts to fog, you either have to turn off the heat to prevent it, and hence be cold, or turn on defrost all the way. It is so annoying, and dangerous! Otherwise, the breaks squeak, and at least it's am American vehicle.

'99 Alero - beware!
By bkonyu on 11/13/06 13:08 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This car has had no end of problems at least for us - restarting issues, parts of the car coming off in my hand, constant replacement of major parts. It is very unreliable. This was the first model year, but come on. On the plus side, it does have good power - but the transmission seems to hamper its full utilization at times. It also is very comfortable. On the other hand we have a '99 Toyota Tercel that is small and wussy, but bullet proof! As a Cadillac mechanic friend once told me - don't buy North American vehicles.

Great car!
By Mich72 on 06/27/06 10:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Alero since 1999. I have NEVER had any major problems with my car. I have taken it in regularly for the maintenance and oil changes. My warranty just expired last year and the only things that I have had to replace is the motor for the power window. I would highly reccomend this car to anyone. Too bad they do not make them anymore!

Not a good domestic purchase
By eric on 06/24/06 20:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Don't buy an Alero. I have had the following problems with it: dash bubbling, intake gasket leaking, blower motor resistor, water pump, both windows have problems, etc. It really is ridiculous, if you look at the reviews for 99' 2-door Accords people have no problems. Overall, Aleros are quite unreliable with both big and little problems. But for the price you really can't beat it. The Alero has never left me stranded or broken down on the road. Most issues are well known and if you need a cheap $3,000 car you can't beat an Alero.

You Should Buy One
By Shauna on 04/08/06 03:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I love my new Alero. I overpayed i guess...but it was well worth it! It is a fun and sporty car that has a decent amount of power. Nothing has seriously gone wrong with it yet. It is a very reliable car and all my friends are jealous with there plain looking Honda Civics and Dodge Neons...ewwwwwi e....hahaha!

Fun but junk
By jnichols77 on 03/22/06 13:32 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Alero used four years ago and have put on 60,000+ miles on it. It has a peppy 6 cylinder engine, the transmission is great, braking is good, and driveability is good. Its interior quality and build is terrible though. I have replaced the driver window hardware twice, replaced both engine head gaskets, rear door rubber, etc. There is nothing major wrong, but all of the small things add up. I love the car for commuting but cannot trust it anymore on the interstate. If the interior had better quality materials and the overall build quality was better, this would be a great car. Without these, this an average car with better alternatives from imports.

Great Looks/Perks bad Design
By Marc on 03/18/06 13:01 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Bought the vehicle off of my parents. Since new, the car had to be taken itn for repairs about 2-3 times a year. It has gone through about 4 wheel bearing, 2 sets of struts, new Drive/Pass seatbelts, 2 resistors for the blower, intake gasket issues twice and replaced the alternator after 90,000 miles. There were other issues but these are being pulled from the top of my head. The good looks on the out and inside are very nice, the drive and handling are excellent and the stock sound system is better than anyone would expect. One should expect problems with this car, but as consumer reports is showing this is expected from most GM vehicles. I would not recommend this car.

Fun Car, but Buyer Beware
By T on 02/28/06 10:48 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 Oldsmobile Alero new in 2000 and only put on about 5,000 - 5,500 miles a year on it. The car has had no major problems other than the brakes which I have had to replace three times. Specifically, I replaced the brake pads three times and rotars once on all four wheels ($500.00 total). This is not too bad considering the car has been driven for six years. UNTIL.... the car hit 36,000 miles (funny right after the warranty ran out). The transmission went and it cost $1,900.00 to fix. There has been problems with the seals and gaskets to the tune of $400.00 and now it is in the shop for the alternator. This is all within the last 400 miles after turning 36,000. So, buyer beware. The car handles great, has awesome speed, and I love the ride - it is fun, but it only has so much life in it!!

Why Can't they Build a Decent car?
By Ro on 12/29/05 19:10 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I ordered my Oldsmobile Alero in 1999. The first couple of years went okay, but in the third year I had to replace the alternater and soon after that my front brakes went. My rear view mirror completely fell off when I was driving and since there are wires connected to it I had to drive with the mirror dangling from my windshield. I can only use my air / heat on the 3 and 4 settings so the air literally sucks the tears from my eyes. Whenever it rains heavily my driver's side floor becomes completely saturated & I have a puddle of water in my car. Finally, on a day we had a snow storm, the driver's side window fell into the door. These things happened after the warranty expiresd and I wasn't offered an extended warranty..hmm, I wonder why?