1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
runs good, and lasts long
By simmons1890 on 07/08/09 17:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

everything in this car worked out really good. it runs great. ive never had any problems with it. before i bought it i heard it wasnt a good car to have. but i love it. the look is great to, its a nice car to have, im glad i bought it

I like my Olds
By edin77 on 02/14/09 00:32 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Alero with 143 000 miles. It has been fairly abused and I bought it very cheap. After I washed it, changed oil and filter, replaced power steering pump(reason for sale), cleaned interior, and replaced thermostat and antifreeze among with spark plugs this car runs awesome. It has quite a bit of miles on it, but the 3.4l engine seems to perform very well. I like the fact that is fully loaded. Everything works electrically, and I like the fact that parts are very cheap. Brake pads online run for about $20, for example. Also, I think that this car will run for another 100,000 miles. No signs of giving up. Transmission runs very smooth. I think this might be one of the better GM cars. Thanks

99 Olds Alero 4 door 4cyl
By Bob on 11/20/08 19:07 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when I was 17 and beat it to poo. In the three years I owned it I put on 77,000 miles on top of the 45,000. I only had a few problems. It started without the key, gas gauge stopped working along with overflow every time I filled up, tranny slipped when I stomped on the gas. I never put any money into it, I traded it in for $500

Long term owner / teen driven
By Dean on 05/30/08 23:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This car was bought for my carpool use. I put 60K miles on it in 3 years, mostly highway. Typical hwy 29 mpg (4 cyl) typical city 21-24 mpg. At 64K miles I turned it over to my then teenage druggie Daughter who thrashed it and abused it with her druggie friends for 4 more years. It became a transportation car and lets go to a rave car. I was overseas. The car was trashed. Now she is grownup and wised up and is fine. Car has 146K miles on it and the only thing that has gone wrong is the manual remote drivers mirror cable broke and the ignition switch broke. Other than that, just the usual brake work, fluid changes, (inc auto trans) and tires. Daughter is still driving it.

cheaply made
By Joe on 02/07/08 15:19 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is good looking and has a lot of pep. Unfortunately out of view the car is cheaply made. I bought the car with about 50k. The car was a one owner and well maintained so I expected only normal maintenance, but not so. The latest expense, the power window mechanisms have to be replaced,lf an rr, along with the lf window because the clamps that hold the window to the up and down track came off. This latest cost $530. Cruise control switch, front wheel bearings power steering problems in the past. The car has a lot of road noise and the dash is cracking. Ive been a GM fan for years but now I finally understand why so many people buy imports.

Good deal if you find one
By Dan on 09/22/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car right after Olds stopped making them, so I actually bought the car for about 3K less than it would have been worth had Olds not tanked, which was fine in my eyes. With a huge available array of mechanicals left over from both the Alero and Grand Am (sister vehicle) theres no need to worry about service in the future.

Good for the money
By lalalolo on 09/14/07 16:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Well, you could buy an ugly early 90's import, or an Alero for about the same price. For me, there's no contest. I'd take my Alero. Unless you plan on driving it for the next 15 years, it is an excellent car for the money.

Good car
By feet2004 on 09/02/07 14:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like the Alero - I have had some problems with the interior lining on the doors, radiator/coolant system, and the power windows falling into the doors (3 of the 4) - but otherwise, the car has been great. I just took a job which I will be commuting over 80 mi per day, so I will be needing to trade in the alero for a car with a little better gas mileage. If my commute were shorter, I would probably drive this car for a few more years at least.

Pre-Owned Alero review
By whs03 on 05/25/07 14:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Since the day I bought this car it has been nothing but wonderful, of course you get the pre-owned quirks but all that aside, I love the accessory of being told when one of my tires are low, and being able to choose between playing a cd or a cassette tape in my car. I believe I made a great decision on my first purchase of a pre-owned but still feels new Alero.

Love my Alero GLS
By Josh on 01/09/07 12:28 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Other than oil changes, brake pads and one warranty head gasket this car has run like a champ. It has been dependable with no problems. I will probably put another 85,000 miles on it before I replace it.