Used 1999 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Major repairs required every 10,000 miles
By debducttape

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I have had this car longer than any other vehicle I have owned, not because it is quality, but because it is so frequently broken down, sitting at the shop or waiting for my husband to repair it. Things that have broken: Transmission (over $1400 with 4 mechanics still not fixed) Security like comes on, blinks for exactly 10 minutes during which time, the car will not start ($400 to repair) Breaks repaired 3-4 times including replacing all the break line ($400 - work done mostly by my husband) Gas gauge says empty (have not repaired yet) AC dead ($325- still not fixed) Lots more, but I am running out of space. Overall, I could have bought 2 more of these crap cars for repair $$

Favorite Features

I like the color and the overall look of the car.

Alero's are really death traps
By sherri bett

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I would have my brake pedal go to the floor with no warning. Once this happened I quickly released the pedal and then the pedal worked. Except one time. I was going down a steep hill, and when I put my foot on my brake pedal, I felt NOTHING! Talk about having my heart fall into my stomach, it scared me to death!! I pushed harder and harder on my brake pedal but nothing happened, and when it hit the floor, my life flashed in front of my eyes! I pushed and pumped my brake pedal but nothing happened, my brakes were failing!! I just went into shock when I touched my brake and felt nothing. I was almost at the guard rail, I pumped them one more time and they finally came back and I didn't die

Favorite Features

selling it

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brakes now!! I will never forget the terror of pushing on my brake pedal and nothing happenning! I can still remember seeing the guard rail coming and my foot and brake pedal on the floor and my car speeding up and every time I pushed on my brake pedal it felt like I was stepping on air!!!

decent car
By Shawn

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I had just got this car from the dealer, its a pretty decentcar. i like the 2 door body style. great gas milage. the only thing i dislike is all the problems i had with it with in two weeks. and ive been told the rear seats fold down but have no idea cause i cant find a button or lever for them too. but the car is really nice and id recomend it to anyone so far.

Favorite Features

stereo and lether seats.

Dependable
By KYLady

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I recieved my Alero after my mother got a new car, and to date I have put 210,000 miles on the car and it is still running great.

Favorite Features

automatic lights when it gets dark.

Suggested Improvements

Faulty trunk switch doesnt always pop open with the interior button.

HIGH MAINTENANCE!
By JO

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

I'm the 3rd owner of the alero that I purchased from my parents in '01. They found it to be very uncomfortable & difficult to get in & out of. It was one of many issues that I would have with the car. I've owned it now for 8yrs & every year I've had to put $ into it!I lost count on how many wheel bearings have been replaced.I've replaced engine; airconditioning unit; gas tank; alternator; starter; just to name a few. Currently; the engine is knocking; the car screams with ac or heat on; needs u joint; gas guage doesn't work. It's been very high maintenance & I would not recommend it.

Favorite Features

Sporty look and great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior comfort; move the drink holder that is behind the shifter as it is unuseable! Needs better quality parts.