1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
One of my favorites
By slenderman on 01/21/13 08:44 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe

This is my 80 mi. RT commuter. Bought as a GX coupe with 33k on the clock from a GM dealer, 4 Cyl. 2.4L LD9 engine, auto trans, manual windows, a/c. Sporty handling, good acceleration. Great Delco audio system. Since I've had it, replaced front wheel bearings, brake pads, brake rotors (these seem to warp easy), water pump, alternator. Be sure you keep the oil topped off on these; I switched to 10W-30 when the mileage was getting up there (it was starting to use a lot of 5W-30). Use a better quality oil filter on these also. Only electrical issue I've had involved the instrument cluster and the vent fan; it used to cut in and out randomly in wet weather. Now getting ready to put it to pasture; it's now got cancer behind the doors and 241,000 on it. (It still has the original spark plugs in it!)

decent car
By Shawn on 11/19/09 08:48 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I had just got this car from the dealer, its a pretty decentcar. i like the 2 door body style. great gas milage. the only thing i dislike is all the problems i had with it with in two weeks. and ive been told the rear seats fold down but have no idea cause i cant find a button or lever for them too. but the car is really nice and id recomend it to anyone so far.

HIGH MAINTENANCE!
By JO on 07/10/09 00:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe

I'm the 3rd owner of the alero that I purchased from my parents in '01. They found it to be very uncomfortable & difficult to get in & out of. It was one of many issues that I would have with the car. I've owned it now for 8yrs & every year I've had to put $ into it!I lost count on how many wheel bearings have been replaced.I've replaced engine; airconditioning unit; gas tank; alternator; starter; just to name a few. Currently; the engine is knocking; the car screams with ac or heat on; needs u joint; gas guage doesn't work. It's been very high maintenance & I would not recommend it.

Buyer Beware
By Mel on 01/04/07 11:23 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for less than two years. During this time I have replaced the alternator, water pump, driver side window motor, sensor on engine, ABS sensor,wheel bearings,repair emergency brake, coil for spark plugs, brakes and rotors. It is low mileage for a 1999 - only 68,000 miles. Each time we repair it, we think we'll be okay for a while. I am tired of the cost and am searching for another reliable car now.

Great car!
By Mich72 on 06/27/06 10:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Alero since 1999. I have NEVER had any major problems with my car. I have taken it in regularly for the maintenance and oil changes. My warranty just expired last year and the only things that I have had to replace is the motor for the power window. I would highly reccomend this car to anyone. Too bad they do not make them anymore!

Not a good domestic purchase
By eric on 06/24/06 20:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

Don't buy an Alero. I have had the following problems with it: dash bubbling, intake gasket leaking, blower motor resistor, water pump, both windows have problems, etc. It really is ridiculous, if you look at the reviews for 99' 2-door Accords people have no problems. Overall, Aleros are quite unreliable with both big and little problems. But for the price you really can't beat it. The Alero has never left me stranded or broken down on the road. Most issues are well known and if you need a cheap $3,000 car you can't beat an Alero.

You Should Buy One
By Shauna on 04/08/06 03:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I love my new Alero. I overpayed i guess...but it was well worth it! It is a fun and sporty car that has a decent amount of power. Nothing has seriously gone wrong with it yet. It is a very reliable car and all my friends are jealous with there plain looking Honda Civics and Dodge Neons...ewwwwwi e....hahaha!

Great Looks/Perks bad Design
By Marc on 03/18/06 13:01 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

Bought the vehicle off of my parents. Since new, the car had to be taken itn for repairs about 2-3 times a year. It has gone through about 4 wheel bearing, 2 sets of struts, new Drive/Pass seatbelts, 2 resistors for the blower, intake gasket issues twice and replaced the alternator after 90,000 miles. There were other issues but these are being pulled from the top of my head. The good looks on the out and inside are very nice, the drive and handling are excellent and the stock sound system is better than anyone would expect. One should expect problems with this car, but as consumer reports is showing this is expected from most GM vehicles. I would not recommend this car.

Fun Car, but Buyer Beware
By T on 02/28/06 10:48 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 Oldsmobile Alero new in 2000 and only put on about 5,000 - 5,500 miles a year on it. The car has had no major problems other than the brakes which I have had to replace three times. Specifically, I replaced the brake pads three times and rotars once on all four wheels ($500.00 total). This is not too bad considering the car has been driven for six years. UNTIL.... the car hit 36,000 miles (funny right after the warranty ran out). The transmission went and it cost $1,900.00 to fix. There has been problems with the seals and gaskets to the tune of $400.00 and now it is in the shop for the alternator. This is all within the last 400 miles after turning 36,000. So, buyer beware. The car handles great, has awesome speed, and I love the ride - it is fun, but it only has so much life in it!!

Why Can't they Build a Decent car?
By Ro on 12/29/05 19:10 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I ordered my Oldsmobile Alero in 1999. The first couple of years went okay, but in the third year I had to replace the alternater and soon after that my front brakes went. My rear view mirror completely fell off when I was driving and since there are wires connected to it I had to drive with the mirror dangling from my windshield. I can only use my air / heat on the 3 and 4 settings so the air literally sucks the tears from my eyes. Whenever it rains heavily my driver's side floor becomes completely saturated & I have a puddle of water in my car. Finally, on a day we had a snow storm, the driver's side window fell into the door. These things happened after the warranty expiresd and I wasn't offered an extended warranty..hmm, I wonder why?

1 2 3 4 5 next »