Used 1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

One of my favorites
By slenderman

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe

This is my 80 mi. RT commuter. Bought as a GX coupe with 33k on the clock from a GM dealer, 4 Cyl. 2.4L LD9 engine, auto trans, manual windows, a/c. Sporty handling, good acceleration. Great Delco audio system. Since I've had it, replaced front wheel bearings, brake pads, brake rotors (these seem to warp easy), water pump, alternator. Be sure you keep the oil topped off on these; I switched to 10W-30 when the mileage was getting up there (it was starting to use a lot of 5W-30). Use a better quality oil filter on these also. Only electrical issue I've had involved the instrument cluster and the vent fan; it used to cut in and out randomly in wet weather. Now getting ready to put it to pasture; it's now got cancer behind the doors and 241,000 on it. (It still has the original spark plugs in it!)

Handling, peppy acceleration, seating position, stereo

Thicker brake rotors (front) Better defogger ventilation

decent car
By Shawn

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I had just got this car from the dealer, its a pretty decentcar. i like the 2 door body style. great gas milage. the only thing i dislike is all the problems i had with it with in two weeks. and ive been told the rear seats fold down but have no idea cause i cant find a button or lever for them too. but the car is really nice and id recomend it to anyone so far.

stereo and lether seats.

HIGH MAINTENANCE!
By JO

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe

I'm the 3rd owner of the alero that I purchased from my parents in '01. They found it to be very uncomfortable & difficult to get in & out of. It was one of many issues that I would have with the car. I've owned it now for 8yrs & every year I've had to put $ into it!I lost count on how many wheel bearings have been replaced.I've replaced engine; airconditioning unit; gas tank; alternator; starter; just to name a few. Currently; the engine is knocking; the car screams with ac or heat on; needs u joint; gas guage doesn't work. It's been very high maintenance & I would not recommend it.

Sporty look and great gas mileage.

Interior comfort; move the drink holder that is behind the shifter as it is unuseable! Needs better quality parts.

Buyer Beware
By Mel

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for less than two years. During this time I have replaced the alternator, water pump, driver side window motor, sensor on engine, ABS sensor,wheel bearings,repair emergency brake, coil for spark plugs, brakes and rotors. It is low mileage for a 1999 - only 68,000 miles. Each time we repair it, we think we'll be okay for a while. I am tired of the cost and am searching for another reliable car now.

I like the sporty look, sunroof, and how it is so stylish.

Improve the reliability, at least they don't make them anymore!

Great car!
By Mich72

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Alero since 1999. I have NEVER had any major problems with my car. I have taken it in regularly for the maintenance and oil changes. My warranty just expired last year and the only things that I have had to replace is the motor for the power window. I would highly reccomend this car to anyone. Too bad they do not make them anymore!

My favorite features on my car are the sunroof and the stereo.. it is pretty good for manufacturer!