1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Do Not Buy
By deeprig9 on 10/16/11 06:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought in 2002 with 38k m and now (2011) has 214k. Pwr Windows break constantly. Intake and Head gaskets go constantly, can limp it along 10k miles at a time with sealer additives, if you are poor and don't mind being stranded constantly. Clearcoat starts peeling all over car around 90k. CD/tape stop working at about 70k. Any work that involves the belt must be done by mech, due to motor mount running through the belt = drop engine ;( The performance on the V-6 is actually really good, when it's running correctly. Security feature will disable your ignition constantly. These complaints apply also to Grand Ams and Aleros from 99-2002. "Dex-Cool" systems= stay away.

I like my Olds
By edin77 on 02/14/09 00:32 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Alero with 143 000 miles. It has been fairly abused and I bought it very cheap. After I washed it, changed oil and filter, replaced power steering pump(reason for sale), cleaned interior, and replaced thermostat and antifreeze among with spark plugs this car runs awesome. It has quite a bit of miles on it, but the 3.4l engine seems to perform very well. I like the fact that is fully loaded. Everything works electrically, and I like the fact that parts are very cheap. Brake pads online run for about $20, for example. Also, I think that this car will run for another 100,000 miles. No signs of giving up. Transmission runs very smooth. I think this might be one of the better GM cars. Thanks

cheaply made
By Joe on 02/07/08 15:19 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is good looking and has a lot of pep. Unfortunately out of view the car is cheaply made. I bought the car with about 50k. The car was a one owner and well maintained so I expected only normal maintenance, but not so. The latest expense, the power window mechanisms have to be replaced,lf an rr, along with the lf window because the clamps that hold the window to the up and down track came off. This latest cost $530. Cruise control switch, front wheel bearings power steering problems in the past. The car has a lot of road noise and the dash is cracking. Ive been a GM fan for years but now I finally understand why so many people buy imports.

Good deal if you find one
By Dan on 09/22/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car right after Olds stopped making them, so I actually bought the car for about 3K less than it would have been worth had Olds not tanked, which was fine in my eyes. With a huge available array of mechanicals left over from both the Alero and Grand Am (sister vehicle) theres no need to worry about service in the future.

Good for the money
By lalalolo on 09/14/07 16:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Well, you could buy an ugly early 90's import, or an Alero for about the same price. For me, there's no contest. I'd take my Alero. Unless you plan on driving it for the next 15 years, it is an excellent car for the money.

Good car
By feet2004 on 09/02/07 14:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like the Alero - I have had some problems with the interior lining on the doors, radiator/coolant system, and the power windows falling into the doors (3 of the 4) - but otherwise, the car has been great. I just took a job which I will be commuting over 80 mi per day, so I will be needing to trade in the alero for a car with a little better gas mileage. If my commute were shorter, I would probably drive this car for a few more years at least.

Pre-Owned Alero review
By whs03 on 05/25/07 14:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Since the day I bought this car it has been nothing but wonderful, of course you get the pre-owned quirks but all that aside, I love the accessory of being told when one of my tires are low, and being able to choose between playing a cd or a cassette tape in my car. I believe I made a great decision on my first purchase of a pre-owned but still feels new Alero.

Love my Alero GLS
By Josh on 01/09/07 12:28 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Other than oil changes, brake pads and one warranty head gasket this car has run like a champ. It has been dependable with no problems. I will probably put another 85,000 miles on it before I replace it.

Perhaps this Car Could have Saved Oldsmobile
By R.E. Saif on 11/21/05 01:43 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Oldsmobile Alero GLS in Oct. 2002 as a replacment for my '93 Mercury Tracer LTS. It was a zippy little car, but I wanted something bigger. The car was listed below KBB, fully loaded and was too good to pass up with 82,000 miles on the clock. I now have over 142,000 miles on it and have gotten by with few problems. The motor is strong and pulls hard for being "outdated". The only repairs I have done have been the intake gaskets, belt tensioner, alternator and MAF sensor. I regularly take the car to Ohio and WV and it has never let me down. I am now on the hunt for another Alero with fewer miles to replace it. I love the car, so when that time comes, it will be extremely painful to part with.

Buy foreign, not an Alero
By Zach on 06/03/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is easily the worst car on the road. Had brakes replaced two months after purchase, then the power windows started to go. Driver-side replaced twice, passenger replaced once and needs to be replaced again. Alternator went out twice, electrical problems are constant, it took Oldsmobile 6 years to recognize a flaw that causes your hazards and turn signals to fail. Wheel bearings have been replaced at least 4 or 5 times, leather peeling off steering wheel. This car eats antifreeze like they're Pringles. There are many many more problems, just do yourself a favor and don't buy an Alero. Send a message to American auto manufacturers and buy foreign.