Used 1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Do Not Buy
By deeprig9

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought in 2002 with 38k m and now (2011) has 214k. Pwr Windows break constantly. Intake and Head gaskets go constantly, can limp it along 10k miles at a time with sealer additives, if you are poor and don't mind being stranded constantly. Clearcoat starts peeling all over car around 90k. CD/tape stop working at about 70k. Any work that involves the belt must be done by mech, due to motor mount running through the belt = drop engine ;( The performance on the V-6 is actually really good, when it's running correctly. Security feature will disable your ignition constantly. These complaints apply also to Grand Ams and Aleros from 99-2002. "Dex-Cool" systems= stay away.

Favorite Features

3.4 l V6 has good power, seats are comfortable. Plenty of get-up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Olds out of business, but.... abandon security feature, use better material for head and intake gasket, don't run motor mount through serpentine belts, use metal clips on the power windows instead of the plastic ones that constantly break.

I like my Olds
By edin77

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Alero with 143 000 miles. It has been fairly abused and I bought it very cheap. After I washed it, changed oil and filter, replaced power steering pump(reason for sale), cleaned interior, and replaced thermostat and antifreeze among with spark plugs this car runs awesome. It has quite a bit of miles on it, but the 3.4l engine seems to perform very well. I like the fact that is fully loaded. Everything works electrically, and I like the fact that parts are very cheap. Brake pads online run for about $20, for example. Also, I think that this car will run for another 100,000 miles. No signs of giving up. Transmission runs very smooth. I think this might be one of the better GM cars. Thanks

Favorite Features

Dash board. Very nice organized, Also, my Olds is fully loaded, besides sunroof I can't even think of anything else..

Suggested Improvements

I think car is great for the price.

cheaply made
By Joe

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

This car is good looking and has a lot of pep. Unfortunately out of view the car is cheaply made. I bought the car with about 50k. The car was a one owner and well maintained so I expected only normal maintenance, but not so. The latest expense, the power window mechanisms have to be replaced,lf an rr, along with the lf window because the clamps that hold the window to the up and down track came off. This latest cost $530. Cruise control switch, front wheel bearings power steering problems in the past. The car has a lot of road noise and the dash is cracking. Ive been a GM fan for years but now I finally understand why so many people buy imports.

Good deal if you find one
By Dan

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car right after Olds stopped making them, so I actually bought the car for about 3K less than it would have been worth had Olds not tanked, which was fine in my eyes. With a huge available array of mechanicals left over from both the Alero and Grand Am (sister vehicle) theres no need to worry about service in the future.

Favorite Features

Available low end torque. Clear case headlights and taillights look great at night.

Suggested Improvements

GM's 3.4 had it's problems, there should have been more recalls across the motor line up. I've already been through most of the problems, and my mechanic has seen it all in other models across the lineup with the 3.4, so keep your fingers crossed!

Good for the money
By lalalolo

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Well, you could buy an ugly early 90's import, or an Alero for about the same price. For me, there's no contest. I'd take my Alero. Unless you plan on driving it for the next 15 years, it is an excellent car for the money.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, stereo, quick acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Bad on gas, no power windows.