1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

1999 Alero Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Sort Reviews by

decent car
By Shawn

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I had just got this car from the dealer, its a pretty decentcar. i like the 2 door body style. great gas milage. the only thing i dislike is all the problems i had with it with in two weeks. and ive been told the rear seats fold down but have no idea cause i cant find a button or lever for them too. but the car is really nice and id recomend it to anyone so far.

Favorite Features

stereo and lether seats.

Great car!
By Mich72

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Alero since 1999. I have NEVER had any major problems with my car. I have taken it in regularly for the maintenance and oil changes. My warranty just expired last year and the only things that I have had to replace is the motor for the power window. I would highly reccomend this car to anyone. Too bad they do not make them anymore!

Favorite Features

My favorite features on my car are the sunroof and the stereo.. it is pretty good for manufacturer!

Not a good domestic purchase
By eric

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Don't buy an Alero. I have had the following problems with it: dash bubbling, intake gasket leaking, blower motor resistor, water pump, both windows have problems, etc. It really is ridiculous, if you look at the reviews for 99' 2-door Accords people have no problems. Overall, Aleros are quite unreliable with both big and little problems. But for the price you really can't beat it. The Alero has never left me stranded or broken down on the road. Most issues are well known and if you need a cheap $3,000 car you can't beat an Alero.

Favorite Features

This car gets 30 mpg highway with a V6 which is very good for a cheap cheap, cheap car! The interior doesn't feel that old.

Suggested Improvements

The only possible improvement has been taken by GM, which of course has been to drop Oldsmobile altogether.

You Should Buy One
By Shauna

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I love my new Alero. I overpayed i guess...but it was well worth it! It is a fun and sporty car that has a decent amount of power. Nothing has seriously gone wrong with it yet. It is a very reliable car and all my friends are jealous with there plain looking Honda Civics and Dodge Neons...ewwwwwi e....hahaha!

Favorite Features

I love the look of the front of the car...not too square and not too pointy! Just Perfect!

Suggested Improvements

The interior needs something new...it's just ugly. I had to do a lot of work on it.

Great Looks/Perks bad Design
By Marc

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Bought the vehicle off of my parents. Since new, the car had to be taken itn for repairs about 2-3 times a year. It has gone through about 4 wheel bearing, 2 sets of struts, new Drive/Pass seatbelts, 2 resistors for the blower, intake gasket issues twice and replaced the alternator after 90,000 miles. There were other issues but these are being pulled from the top of my head. The good looks on the out and inside are very nice, the drive and handling are excellent and the stock sound system is better than anyone would expect. One should expect problems with this car, but as consumer reports is showing this is expected from most GM vehicles. I would not recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Love the stereo system, handling, good looks and ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything.

Fun Car, but Buyer Beware
By T

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 Oldsmobile Alero new in 2000 and only put on about 5,000 - 5,500 miles a year on it. The car has had no major problems other than the brakes which I have had to replace three times. Specifically, I replaced the brake pads three times and rotars once on all four wheels ($500.00 total). This is not too bad considering the car has been driven for six years. UNTIL.... the car hit 36,000 miles (funny right after the warranty ran out). The transmission went and it cost $1,900.00 to fix. There has been problems with the seals and gaskets to the tune of $400.00 and now it is in the shop for the alternator. This is all within the last 400 miles after turning 36,000. So, buyer beware. The car handles great, has awesome speed, and I love the ride - it is fun, but it only has so much life in it!!

Favorite Features

It is a quick and fun car to drive. The Alero is a great sports car without spending your life savings.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a better stereo system (speakers etc..) and more controls on the steering column. Build the engine better!. Also, it needs a better heating and air conditioning system. It only works on the 3rd and 4th setting after about oh one year.

Why Can't they Build a Decent car?
By Ro

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I ordered my Oldsmobile Alero in 1999. The first couple of years went okay, but in the third year I had to replace the alternater and soon after that my front brakes went. My rear view mirror completely fell off when I was driving and since there are wires connected to it I had to drive with the mirror dangling from my windshield. I can only use my air / heat on the 3 and 4 settings so the air literally sucks the tears from my eyes. Whenever it rains heavily my driver's side floor becomes completely saturated & I have a puddle of water in my car. Finally, on a day we had a snow storm, the driver's side window fell into the door. These things happened after the warranty expiresd and I wasn't offered an extended warranty..hmm, I wonder why?

Favorite Features

The car has great pickup and I liked the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the drawing board and build a strong reliable car.

Alero - An Awesome Car
By mike

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

My 1999 Oldsmobile Alero is a jewel. I love the ride. It hasn't had any engine problems. I used to have a Mitsubishi Eclipse and I am glad that I traded it in for an Alero.

Favorite Features

The sound system and pickup. I also like the color.

Suggested Improvements

Give it more comfortable seats.

Fun car to Drive
By Love this car

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

Got this car in 2001. Love to drive it, love the looks I get. It handles great. I have the 3.4 lt and it's fun. The seats are so comfortable (leather) that I really enjoy long trips. Trunk is very spacious and the rear seats fold down for the longer stuff. Have not had any major problems. Those other people must have gotten lemons to have so many problems or they beat it to death. A car has to be taken care of not abused to keep it in good shape and running nice. I would buy another one. But I don't want to sell the one I have any time soon.

Favorite Features

The body style is great and the power and leather seats. Has a lot of get up and go. Also the A/C is great.

Suggested Improvements

They could put an extra clear coat on the rear spoiler. I wax it to keep it nice. Seems like I see faded spoilers on cars especially here in FL.

Do youself a favor
By ;oaiuwsdhfoiau;shdf

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for two years. I've had the alternator replaced twice. $200 Dealership picked up the second one for me for free. The driver's side power window had to have the entire window system replaced when it broke. $100 The brakes wear down faster than any other car I've had. The tape player stopped working. I've lost pickup and power as soon as I got over 50k miles. The ignition casings malfunction and locked up, so the key wouldn't turn, that's $650 from the dealership. I bought it used, no warranty. I bought this car two years ago for $1500 below the blue book, and it's depreciated 50% in two years.

Favorite Features

I like the looks and the interior, but it's a horrible horrible mistake to buy this car. Expect to spend AT LEAST $1000 a year in maintenance, you better have a cell phone and a free towing package from your insurance or auto club, because you will need these about twice a year.

Suggested Improvements

RECALL all of them and give people their money back.