1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

1999 Alero Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Sort Reviews by

Just bought my 1999 Alero
By riker93

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 1999 Alero GL, with only 105,000 miles on it. Got a good deal at a local dealership. The car is in great shape, and so far in the month that I've had it, there's been no problems, and I hope it stays that way. Too early to tell though. It gets excellent gas mileage, and with the hot weather we're currently having, the a/c puts out very cold air. So, as long as it keeps running the way it does, I'll be happy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Favorite Features

I like all the power accessories, and the quiet engine, and the superb handling.

Suggested Improvements

Since this car is no longer made, I don't think I could suggest improvements. However, the center "single" cupholder could have been larger, since in my Grand Prix, it can handle two cups, not just one.

Not Bad...
By tburts

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Alero in 08. Checking the head gaskets prior to purchase is essential since they go bad on the 3.4 V6. Had some minor issues after purchase such a water leak on passenger side console. A cheap foam patch from the dealership corrects this problem. There is also the occasional problems with wheel bearings. Also, the rear defrost system failed due a failure of a control module in the rear of the car. Apart from some rust issues, car is pretty reliable for the most part.

Favorite Features

The Alero has great handling. Considering its an Oldsmobile, it has great styling with decent features for a base model (cruise control, power windows, V6 option). Great passing power when coupled with the V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the head gasket problem. Lucky mine were replaced before I purchased my car...

Major repairs required every 10,000 miles
By debducttape

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I have had this car longer than any other vehicle I have owned, not because it is quality, but because it is so frequently broken down, sitting at the shop or waiting for my husband to repair it. Things that have broken: Transmission (over $1400 with 4 mechanics still not fixed) Security like comes on, blinks for exactly 10 minutes during which time, the car will not start ($400 to repair) Breaks repaired 3-4 times including replacing all the break line ($400 - work done mostly by my husband) Gas gauge says empty (have not repaired yet) AC dead ($325- still not fixed) Lots more, but I am running out of space. Overall, I could have bought 2 more of these crap cars for repair $$

Favorite Features

I like the color and the overall look of the car.

Alero's are really death traps
By sherri bett

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I would have my brake pedal go to the floor with no warning. Once this happened I quickly released the pedal and then the pedal worked. Except one time. I was going down a steep hill, and when I put my foot on my brake pedal, I felt NOTHING! Talk about having my heart fall into my stomach, it scared me to death!! I pushed harder and harder on my brake pedal but nothing happened, and when it hit the floor, my life flashed in front of my eyes! I pushed and pumped my brake pedal but nothing happened, my brakes were failing!! I just went into shock when I touched my brake and felt nothing. I was almost at the guard rail, I pumped them one more time and they finally came back and I didn't die

Favorite Features

selling it

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brakes now!! I will never forget the terror of pushing on my brake pedal and nothing happenning! I can still remember seeing the guard rail coming and my foot and brake pedal on the floor and my car speeding up and every time I pushed on my brake pedal it felt like I was stepping on air!!!

Dependable
By KYLady

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I recieved my Alero after my mother got a new car, and to date I have put 210,000 miles on the car and it is still running great.

Favorite Features

automatic lights when it gets dark.

Suggested Improvements

Faulty trunk switch doesnt always pop open with the interior button.

runs good, and lasts long
By simmons1890

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

everything in this car worked out really good. it runs great. ive never had any problems with it. before i bought it i heard it wasnt a good car to have. but i love it. the look is great to, its a nice car to have, im glad i bought it

Favorite Features

interior

1999 Oldsmobile Alero
By Shanaenae

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over a year ago without an engine, as the teen who owned it before me was hard on the car. After replacing the engine, the car has been fine, except for a little problem. IT FOGS! This car is great in the summer, the AC works like a dream, but in the winter, if there is more than one person in the car, or the heat is on, the windows fog so that you cannot see out of it. I have to roll down the passenger window, thank goodness it's auto, to see into that mirror. Once it starts to fog, you either have to turn off the heat to prevent it, and hence be cold, or turn on defrost all the way. It is so annoying, and dangerous! Otherwise, the breaks squeak, and at least it's am American vehicle.

Favorite Features

The sporty looks, good sound, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

There are just a few. The cup holder in the front is nearly unusable, and the small speakers that are in the door are a joke. These little speakers cannot handle a song with any bass, all they do is rattle.

Fun but junk
By jnichols77

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Alero used four years ago and have put on 60,000+ miles on it. It has a peppy 6 cylinder engine, the transmission is great, braking is good, and driveability is good. Its interior quality and build is terrible though. I have replaced the driver window hardware twice, replaced both engine head gaskets, rear door rubber, etc. There is nothing major wrong, but all of the small things add up. I love the car for commuting but cannot trust it anymore on the interstate. If the interior had better quality materials and the overall build quality was better, this would be a great car. Without these, this an average car with better alternatives from imports.

Favorite Features

Peppy 6 cylinder, exterior styling, great transmission, and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality and build is awful. Interior gets noisier with age. Overall quality inferior to imports.

Just the facts..
By Dean Morales

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car as a commuter and daily drove it with 2 passengers for 3 years. I drove it on vacations and cross country. It handles well, (better than an Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, (my car pool partners vehicles and got better mileage) I see no difference in the quality and reliability. Its north of 89,000 miles now and is my daughter's college and roadtrip car. Zero problems in 5 years...

Favorite Features

Standard 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS.. Bullet proof 150 hp 4-cyl motor and tranny. Handles more like a sports car than a Camry and an Accord. Mileage (as high as 29)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing..it was excellent value for the price.

Alero's are death traps
By Sherri Bett

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

My brake pedal went to the floor a lot and I almost got seriously hurt in 2000 with this thing. The mechanics kept fixing the brakes and a month later I'd be back at the shop.

Favorite Features

none.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brakes, and quit making excuses.