1999 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Just bought my 1999 Alero
By riker93 on 07/14/13 18:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 1999 Alero GL, with only 105,000 miles on it. Got a good deal at a local dealership. The car is in great shape, and so far in the month that I've had it, there's been no problems, and I hope it stays that way. Too early to tell though. It gets excellent gas mileage, and with the hot weather we're currently having, the a/c puts out very cold air. So, as long as it keeps running the way it does, I'll be happy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

One of my favorites
By slenderman on 01/21/13 08:44 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

This is my 80 mi. RT commuter. Bought as a GX coupe with 33k on the clock from a GM dealer, 4 Cyl. 2.4L LD9 engine, auto trans, manual windows, a/c. Sporty handling, good acceleration. Great Delco audio system. Since I've had it, replaced front wheel bearings, brake pads, brake rotors (these seem to warp easy), water pump, alternator. Be sure you keep the oil topped off on these; I switched to 10W-30 when the mileage was getting up there (it was starting to use a lot of 5W-30). Use a better quality oil filter on these also. Only electrical issue I've had involved the instrument cluster and the vent fan; it used to cut in and out randomly in wet weather. Now getting ready to put it to pasture; it's now got cancer behind the doors and 241,000 on it. (It still has the original spark plugs in it!)

Reliable and surprisingly long lasting
By benjito on 06/17/12 20:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan

This car now has 208000+ miles on it and it still runs great. All of the motor mounts have been replaced, but it still vibrates like crazy when its in drive and the brake is on. I am afraid it may be the transmission, but at least I get a full-body massage at every stoplight. The interior keeps threatening to fall apart. I keep making small repairs to the brackets that hold the driver's side mirror adjustment and the ash tray beside the steering wheel. The trac-off light is quite a pest though and it [the car] sometimes hesitates or skips when the driver accelerates. Very good handling and pretty decent spunk to the engine. Overall way worth the money, I would recommend this car to anybody.

Not Bad...
By tburts on 04/03/12 01:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Alero in 08. Checking the head gaskets prior to purchase is essential since they go bad on the 3.4 V6. Had some minor issues after purchase such a water leak on passenger side console. A cheap foam patch from the dealership corrects this problem. There is also the occasional problems with wheel bearings. Also, the rear defrost system failed due a failure of a control module in the rear of the car. Apart from some rust issues, car is pretty reliable for the most part.

Do Not Buy
By deeprig9 on 10/16/11 06:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought in 2002 with 38k m and now (2011) has 214k. Pwr Windows break constantly. Intake and Head gaskets go constantly, can limp it along 10k miles at a time with sealer additives, if you are poor and don't mind being stranded constantly. Clearcoat starts peeling all over car around 90k. CD/tape stop working at about 70k. Any work that involves the belt must be done by mech, due to motor mount running through the belt = drop engine ;( The performance on the V-6 is actually really good, when it's running correctly. Security feature will disable your ignition constantly. These complaints apply also to Grand Ams and Aleros from 99-2002. "Dex-Cool" systems= stay away.

Major repairs required every 10,000 miles
By debducttape on 08/09/11 08:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I have had this car longer than any other vehicle I have owned, not because it is quality, but because it is so frequently broken down, sitting at the shop or waiting for my husband to repair it. Things that have broken: Transmission (over $1400 with 4 mechanics still not fixed) Security like comes on, blinks for exactly 10 minutes during which time, the car will not start ($400 to repair) Breaks repaired 3-4 times including replacing all the break line ($400 - work done mostly by my husband) Gas gauge says empty (have not repaired yet) AC dead ($325- still not fixed) Lots more, but I am running out of space. Overall, I could have bought 2 more of these crap cars for repair $$

Alero's are really death traps
By sherri bett on 05/19/10 07:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I would have my brake pedal go to the floor with no warning. Once this happened I quickly released the pedal and then the pedal worked. Except one time. I was going down a steep hill, and when I put my foot on my brake pedal, I felt NOTHING! Talk about having my heart fall into my stomach, it scared me to death!! I pushed harder and harder on my brake pedal but nothing happened, and when it hit the floor, my life flashed in front of my eyes! I pushed and pumped my brake pedal but nothing happened, my brakes were failing!! I just went into shock when I touched my brake and felt nothing. I was almost at the guard rail, I pumped them one more time and they finally came back and I didn't die

decent car
By Shawn on 11/19/09 08:48 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe

I had just got this car from the dealer, its a pretty decentcar. i like the 2 door body style. great gas milage. the only thing i dislike is all the problems i had with it with in two weeks. and ive been told the rear seats fold down but have no idea cause i cant find a button or lever for them too. but the car is really nice and id recomend it to anyone so far.

Dependable
By KYLady on 10/22/09 12:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4dr Sedan

I recieved my Alero after my mother got a new car, and to date I have put 210,000 miles on the car and it is still running great.

HIGH MAINTENANCE!
By JO on 07/10/09 00:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe

I'm the 3rd owner of the alero that I purchased from my parents in '01. They found it to be very uncomfortable & difficult to get in & out of. It was one of many issues that I would have with the car. I've owned it now for 8yrs & every year I've had to put $ into it!I lost count on how many wheel bearings have been replaced.I've replaced engine; airconditioning unit; gas tank; alternator; starter; just to name a few. Currently; the engine is knocking; the car screams with ac or heat on; needs u joint; gas guage doesn't work. It's been very high maintenance & I would not recommend it.