Used 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva - Consumer Reviews

SL 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )

Great Car
By lightning95

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

My achieva is the greatest gas mileage car I have owned yet, I did a minor tune up on it and I get great gas mileage

suspension

Great overall -- minus the transmission
By Joe Teijido

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

Be prepared with buying an Achieva to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced. It is the weak spot of the achieva and grand am. Mine went out at 90,000 miles. Other than that it has been an absolutely great vehicle. The 3.1 V6 gives you the power and fuel economy necessary - I absolutely love the 3.1 actually more than the famous GM 3.8 V6 on most grand prixs. This is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. I had to replace the water pump once and that is it for the maintenance. If your original transmission hasn't gone out by 80,000 miles I would highly recommend that you get it services or checked up at least - spend the money in order to avoid spending 1,400 for a rebuilt

Comfort, engine power and gas economy - - buy the 3.1 V6! Back seat folds down and can hold as much as a pickup! (almost).

Transmission, body design.

A good car
By JoeMac

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 45,000 miles on it and six years later it has 210,000. It's been a wonderful car. Non-routine maintenance: the water pump broke, the alternator and battery went out, and the automatic headlight switch went out. The car is pretty ugly, I must admit, but it has never failed to crank and it has never broken down on me.

It's just a nice basic reliable car with a pretty powerful engine for its class.

As the other reviewers have stated, the power window motors are pretty bad. Mine are incredibly weak and slow but they have yet to go out.

Great Car
By SRB

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

This car has been a fun car to drive, but I have had some problems with it. One being that the struts went out, that cost a pretty penny but the car was owned before and driven hard. I have had some electrical problems one being no hazard lights and the other with the automatic windows - only the front goes down and the driver's side lock dosn't lock with the automatic lock. Other than these issues, this car has been very good to me and is reliable, even though there were problems that I needed to adjust to.

The large trunk and good gas mileage.

Fix the electrical problems and the automatic window motor.

I love my Achieva
By cls

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I have put 55,000 miles on my car in addition to the 40,000 that it had when I acquired it. I have replaced the brakes (normal wear) and the battery. That's all! This car gets 30 (yes, 30) miles per gallon and has as much power and pickup as anyone will need. The transmission is smooth and nothing has given me any trouble. It doesn't have the cool factor of other cars, but its cost of ownership is really affordable and so far it is safe and reliable. PS I live / drive in Massachusetts so if a car survives here it can survive anywhere!

Smoothness, power, and good gas mileage.

A better driving position.