1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Consumer Reviews

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva - Consumer Reviews

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

View reviews for a specific Achieva model:
ups and downs
By brett favre fan4 on 07/22/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

purchased in october of '97. saw car in showroom and fell in love with it. problems started out early. In november of that year, the engine burst into flames while parking. I got the fire out with a mountain dew. luckily the 30 day warrenty was still in effect. so i got a new engine. I had the car until '05 and it ran great. It ran from Milwaukee to Chicago at least 100 times in its life span. unfortunatly, it suddenly just died. My mechanic couldnt start it, I couldnt start it. Worst of all, it only had 98,000 miles on it. All in all it was a great car to me. I really miss it.

Lila
By XxKilr0yxX on 05/18/09 15:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a used dealer once I graduated high school. Once I found the car on the lot I knew I had to have it, but I was a little afraid because it had around 150,000 miles when I bought it. Now after years of driving for work, school and whatever else she is still running strong. The car has 227,000 miles right now I have not had to replace anything too major, the most expensive thing I have replaced was the memory chip for the computer. I love this car, and it is extremely reliable still to this day. Bottom line is if you can find a used Achieva do not be afraid if it has high miles but sounds great, I listened to mine and it has gotten me this far.

150,000 miles And going strong
By Patrick on 09/26/08 15:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

My Family and I have had this car for over 3 years and have little to no problems with this car. Other than my brother hit a snow bank with the car 2 years ago this car runs just fine and get around 33 MPG on the highway and around 27 MPG in the City With the 4 popper engine.

I Love This Old Car
By teddy13 on 08/11/08 19:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

Bought in 1998. It was a rental car. It has had some problems, like ones I have already read: all but one window is not working, engine cuts out when on "C" in winter, metal trim falling off, front end banged up by a hit and run so does not look so good. I have to make sure it is above "c" otherwise will die. Comfortable and fun to drive. I prefer to drive this one around town rather than my 2003 Jeep. Good gas mileage. Have had to replace battery and alternator, but that's about it. Have over 92K miles on it and it is still reliable. But due to its age and miles, I don't drive this car on out of town trips.

My First Car
By firstcarreview04 on 06/27/07 23:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva with about 80,000 miles three years ago. It has taken me from the West Coast to the East Coast twice. All I can say is that this car is very well built. It feels solid, has excellent safety features, and gets extremely good gas mileage for an American car (particularly on the highway). The twin cam engine is quite powerful and was easily able to tow a u-haul trailer from South Carolina to New Mexico. The ride is very comfortable. This car is extremely reliable. I have left it for about a month without running it and it started up with no problems. With regular maintenance only minor repairs are required.

What a car!
By Mabel on 06/08/07 11:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car looking for something to use for work that was inexpensive and reliable (two family members had brand new ones and they lasted well over 200k with original drivetrain/tranny!) Despite an accident shortly after purchase I have loved this car. Great in every way. It rocks!

Perfect First Car
By eThom07 on 11/09/06 15:41 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car on my own when I was 17 [last year] and I never took it in for a single problem. Actually, it'd been through two accidents by the time I got into a third accident where the other party totaled the car. I hadn't ever put any money into it, it's a sound, tight little car, and it gets pretty good gas mileage as well. It's an inexpensive buy and I recommend it to any first-time driver. It made a few weird noises once it got below zero, but nothing serious.

Very Happy with my Old Olds!
By Very Happy with Olds on 09/19/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

I orginally purchased this car with 89,000 miles on it and it is now at 230,000 and still running like a baby. I have had my share of problems, (transmission *put used in for less than 700*, belts, alternator, seals, catalytic converter *less than 200*) but I could not ask for a better vehicle. I have driven it everywhere without any major problems. Every problem is fixable and affordable and it runs better than my other vehicle with half the miles. I also have my Check Engine light and ETS light on constantly, but I chalk it up to one of it's tiny quirks. It runs no better or worse when the lights are on. This was my first vehicle and it will be may "last". I will never buy anything but and Oldsmobiles again.

Great car
By Matt00002 on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

This car handles great, tight turning, and great accelleration. I had the 2.4L engine, it had 69k on it when i bought it, and the water pump goes out at about 70k miles on almost all 2.4l's. also, the ETS off and the check engine lights only come on when it's hot outside, they turn off in the winter, it's a confessed mistake by GM. Though there is nothing wrong with the ETS or engine, the lights do come on for no reason at times.

Achieva Review
By chrisluvsanimals on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

Car has been an excellent choice for my son. It has been driven a LOT, and has had no major problems. The car handles extremely well, with great pick-up speed and goes more than fast enough top end. It gets excellent gas milage(approx 26mpg), especially for as fast as it has been driven, but even though it has been driven fairly hard, it continues to perform well.For a mid-sized car,my 6'2" son fits easily into it with more than enough head and leg room.