1996 Oldsmobile Achieva - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Achieva model:
Good Old Car
By Young Gal on 05/28/08 13:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

My 1996 2 door V6 automatic Achieva is a great car, overall it's been very dependable. It was purchased for me about 5 1/2 years ago. If I was to pick a car, this would not be it, but since it was purchased for me I can't complain. It's been a great car, fun to drive with lots of power. The style and look of the car is very "grandparent'ish" but the two door is much better than four door at least. Good back up car to drive to and from work or as a kids first car, nothing to fancy. And gets pretty good gas mileage. Now that its over 12 years old its starting to see some problems with water leaking in, but drill a few holes in the floor and its manageable. Overall, it's been a good ride.

Good work car
By me on 11/16/07 19:17 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

I bought this car just for driving to and from work, it is very reliable, and with the 3.1 V-6, Automatic Tranny, and traction control it preforms great on the snow and ice.

Love the car
By Grandma Gee on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 8 years and it has been very dependable. The only real problems were an air condition problem that was finally rectified, but I blame the service department at the dealership for not fixing it the first time. It has also required two sets of brakes. Otherwise it has been very dependable and still drives and looks like a new car.

awesome for money
By stangdood on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

I've riden this car hard and soft, twice back and forth from Maryland to Florida and it's still my daily driver and runs great. Bought it with 87K and now has 99K in 9 months. Also installed dual exhaust and K&N air intake. Car pushes ~155hp~ and runs a 15.92 1/4 mile on a 5-spd manual tranny...not to shabby.

Very Happy
By Rookie on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Achieva used with 32,000 miles on it. Today, I have over 164,000 miles and it's still going. The biggest repair I've so far is I needed a new power stearing unit. There is a problem with the ignition- key release--they key doesn't come out of the column key release very easy at times. The Achieva was a good purchase, very reliable and a great value.

great performer
By MzkMn on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

i test drove many cars, including a `94 mustang GT, and this one beat em all. zips to 60mph, super comfortable, very nice look, and great handling. car can whip around turns. engine produces a nice roar when gas is floored. for the power, i average around 28mpg. very very nice. you get camaro/mustang/firebird performance in a smaller, more economical design. large trunk space too.

My Under-Achieva
By Burned on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

Bot 96 Achieve SC in Aug 98. Had 12.5k mi. By Feb99 veh left me sitting 6 times.Engine stall, sputter, panel lights flash on/off then engine died. Security sensors it took at least 10 min to restart engine. Under warranty, Olds dealerships had lots of difficulty diag. Fall 99 dealer kept veh 3 wks. Dealer maint and manu couldn't find problem. Sol:replaced all sensors. 3 yrs and 67k more miles car was ok. Still thought about when it would leave me sitting again. Finally did Nov 02 & Jan03. 3 stall outs. Maint found no problem. Not comfortable with vehicle. Gave it away for tax writeoff.

OLDSMOBILES ROCK
By Sander on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

Great car! Love the 5-speed

Fun and Economics
By Daniel/Sarah Miller on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

It is a fun car to drive. When I test drove it I swear it had a v-6. The GM quad-4 engine is very stong. It also gets great milage. The seats are comforable and the interior is nicly laid out. I have made many long trips in olds. and comfort was never a problem. The engine is very strong and works well both on anf off the highway.

96 OLDS
By LIFEJACKET on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car the only thing I have been in the shop for is a water pump at about 60000 miles the front brakes wear fast. I just changed my trans oil at 130000 miles I like this car.