Used 1996 Oldsmobile Achieva Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Achieva model:

Good Old Car
By Young Gal

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

My 1996 2 door V6 automatic Achieva is a great car, overall it's been very dependable. It was purchased for me about 5 1/2 years ago. If I was to pick a car, this would not be it, but since it was purchased for me I can't complain. It's been a great car, fun to drive with lots of power. The style and look of the car is very "grandparent'ish" but the two door is much better than four door at least. Good back up car to drive to and from work or as a kids first car, nothing to fancy. And gets pretty good gas mileage. Now that its over 12 years old its starting to see some problems with water leaking in, but drill a few holes in the floor and its manageable. Overall, it's been a good ride.

Favorite Features

V6 engine with lots of power.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more cup holders, as someone else said. And could look a little better on the exterior.

Good work car
By me

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

I bought this car just for driving to and from work, it is very reliable, and with the 3.1 V-6, Automatic Tranny, and traction control it preforms great on the snow and ice.

Favorite Features

Gotta love traction control

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to bring back the Oldsmobile line.

Love the car
By Grandma Gee

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 8 years and it has been very dependable. The only real problems were an air condition problem that was finally rectified, but I blame the service department at the dealership for not fixing it the first time. It has also required two sets of brakes. Otherwise it has been very dependable and still drives and looks like a new car.

Favorite Features

I really like the style (it has a spoiler), color and dependability.

Suggested Improvements

My husband is a fairly tall man and finds the seats could be deeper, but it is perfect for me since I am a small woman. Would also like door pockets for maps, etc. and a double cup holder.

awesome for money
By stangdood

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SC 2dr Coupe

I've riden this car hard and soft, twice back and forth from Maryland to Florida and it's still my daily driver and runs great. Bought it with 87K and now has 99K in 9 months. Also installed dual exhaust and K&N air intake. Car pushes ~155hp~ and runs a 15.92 1/4 mile on a 5-spd manual tranny...not to shabby.

Favorite Features

Super comfortable on long drives and easy to use and drive. Small American muscle performance...still can't catch up to a Chevy or Ford V8, but it beats a lot of foreign motors.

Suggested Improvements

Shorter shifter and clutch and better tinted windows.

Very Happy
By Rookie

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Achieva used with 32,000 miles on it. Today, I have over 164,000 miles and it's still going. The biggest repair I've so far is I needed a new power stearing unit. There is a problem with the ignition- key release--they key doesn't come out of the column key release very easy at times. The Achieva was a good purchase, very reliable and a great value.

Favorite Features

Peppy V-6, comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

The ride isn't very smooth. THe back seat does not fold flat--I will never buy another car that does not have a folding back seat again!