1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva - Consumer Reviews

1994 Achieva Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Achieva model:

Sort Reviews by

It's an olds, what to expect?
By lhuser

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan S 4dr Sedan

It's an okay car, it gets me where to go. The electrical system gave out entirely. There's nothing working in this car no more. It juste starts and that's it. There has been an alternator replaced and it's a very costly car to maintain. It stinks in the electric department. What happened was the electric system shorted out, draining the battery in less than an hour, so we needed it disconnected. It's aroun 800 for parts and a big load of money to fix

Favorite Features

Comfort is good, better than my Tercel, the gauges are big enough to see

Suggested Improvements

Electric system, ABS is constantly on, and also, fix what is most important: the charging system!

Very reliable
By Achieva

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan S 4dr Sedan

I've had this car going on 4 years. When I purchased it on Sept. 23 2002, it had 132,000 miles on it. Today it has 194,000 It has been and still is a great car. I've owned a Corsica as well and can say nothing stands up to a 3.1 V6 oldsmobile Achieva S. I am still driving the car and loving every minute. I have a speaker system in it and added an aftermarket intake. The car now pushes around 165 horses to the wheels. I had it dyno tested and it was 150 stock, but adding some cheap aftermarket toys it is very quick for what it is. Don't buy a 4-cylinder Achieva, they're junk buy the 3.1L V6.

Favorite Features

I like the car as a whole. There's really nothing special about any of the features. I mean they are all standard. It is still a great car, don't get me wrong, but nothing stands out on factory ones. Mine does because I have my windows tinted to 20%.

Suggested Improvements

Change the plastic on plasic interior design.

My Baby!
By Anthony Colbert

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan S 4dr Sedan

I have had my Oldsmobile Achieva for about 5 months, but it has been in the family for about 7 yrs. Recently with 140,000 miles on it the cylinder head cracked, the motor mounts were going out, and I needed a new water pump. To avoid very high repair bills, I went ahead and dropped a used quad four with about 53,000 miles on it in my car, especially since transmission is still in good repair. Overall the car has run great. It has had a few small issues here and there but it hasn't been that much of a problem for the family. The I-4 has adequate acceleration and handle is ok. Fortunately its an Oldmobile so it is a very comfortable car.

Favorite Features

The overall comfort. It is the perfect size for me and my crap! I went all the way to 140,000 miles before any serious issue arose. It has a nice amount of torque!

Suggested Improvements

Give it more than 115hp, with a broader torque band. This car currently only has power in lower revs and is guttless in upper rev range. Make the interior quieter, it has too much road noise. (Maybe it's just the tires.) Improve the exterior design. Give it a better suspension, the strut on the front right side is going bad. Other than that, it's a great car!

Just got a bad one
By jd winter ride

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan S 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 90,000 on it.It has a 3.1 v6. Very difficult to work on, plugs hard to get at, belt a nightmare to change. Interior parts all fell apart, door panels all warped,duck tape becomes your best friend. Check engine light on and off, no one could figure out the cause. Replaced the radiator, belt tensioner, struts, all brakes parts,O2 sensor ,turn signal switch, and more. Tranny gave out at 140,000 miles. Not worth fixing. Overall, I really liked the car when it ran good. Great in snow and ice and comfortable. I'm kinda sorry it is going to the bone yard.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, comfort, roomy, compartment space, big trunk space. Great cup holder area.

Suggested Improvements

3.1L motor unreliable and poorly designed for DIYers.

A quarter of a million miles
By MyFathersOlds

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan S 4dr Sedan

Bought the car from my father in law for my teenage son. It has honest to Betsy 255,000 mile on the original drivetrain. Solid mechanical care. Replace the usual struts/shocks, brakes etc, but otherwise a solid car.

Favorite Features

Good engine and transmission. Interior has help up well. Wrap around dash board and big gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Seating position is low. You may feel caustrophobic with a darker interior.

i like it
By bobob

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

For the money the car has done well.

Not so bad
By neighbor

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

. I've had no trouble with the Achiva, and it runs great. Ours only has 70,000 miles on it and it seems like it'll go until 150,000.

Favorite Features

It gets me from point A to point B

Suggested Improvements

none..it's to old to make improvements..

Don't buy oldsmobiles
By vinny

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan S 4dr Sedan

This car is a real pain in the neck ever since i bought it. I got it with 20000 miles and during the first year i had to take it to dealer to have it checked twice. It has also broken down at least three times and has cost me a lot of money. I can't wait to dump this car. Recently I bought a second car, a Honda now that is a well built machine. My friends please stick with the japanese.

Favorite Features

no favorite features