Used 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva - Consumer Reviews

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva

View reviews for a specific Achieva model:

It's an olds, what to expect?
By lhuser

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S 4dr Sedan

It's an okay car, it gets me where to go. The electrical system gave out entirely. There's nothing working in this car no more. It juste starts and that's it. There has been an alternator replaced and it's a very costly car to maintain. It stinks in the electric department. What happened was the electric system shorted out, draining the battery in less than an hour, so we needed it disconnected. It's aroun 800 for parts and a big load of money to fix

Favorite Features

Comfort is good, better than my Tercel, the gauges are big enough to see

Suggested Improvements

Electric system, ABS is constantly on, and also, fix what is most important: the charging system!

A good starter car if its been well kept
By Darra

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. The person who had it before me took very good care of it and when I got it, it was really clean. He had installed a nice stereo system in it so it didn't feel like I was driving an old car. I never had any problems out of it. It was a very smooth ride and all around decent car. We only paid about 1200 bucks for it back in 02. Got more than our money's worth out of it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Car is no longer being manufactured so I guess this doesn't matter..

Would Not Recommend Olds. Achieva
By Chrissy

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1994 Olds Achieva in 2002 from my boss (who was the original owner). At the time it had 120,000 miles, it now has 166,000 miles. It is great on gas however I have had several major problems with the engine and minor problems with the interior. Every time I got off the freeway my car would stall. There are only three of the four cylinders working. My gas gage is broken. My rear brakes clunk every morning. There is major exhaust leak, which gives headaches to passengers. The driver's side window does not work, it must be pulled up with two hands. The interior is poor, several things have fallen off (speaker, vents, ashtray...and more). I do like the good gas milleage and the fact that it was cheap though.

Favorite Features

It is great on gas and cheap (I guess you get what you pay for).

Very reliable
By Achieva

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S 4dr Sedan

I've had this car going on 4 years. When I purchased it on Sept. 23 2002, it had 132,000 miles on it. Today it has 194,000 It has been and still is a great car. I've owned a Corsica as well and can say nothing stands up to a 3.1 V6 oldsmobile Achieva S. I am still driving the car and loving every minute. I have a speaker system in it and added an aftermarket intake. The car now pushes around 165 horses to the wheels. I had it dyno tested and it was 150 stock, but adding some cheap aftermarket toys it is very quick for what it is. Don't buy a 4-cylinder Achieva, they're junk buy the 3.1L V6.

Favorite Features

I like the car as a whole. There's really nothing special about any of the features. I mean they are all standard. It is still a great car, don't get me wrong, but nothing stands out on factory ones. Mine does because I have my windows tinted to 20%.

Suggested Improvements

Change the plastic on plasic interior design.

My Baby!
By Anthony Colbert

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S 4dr Sedan

I have had my Oldsmobile Achieva for about 5 months, but it has been in the family for about 7 yrs. Recently with 140,000 miles on it the cylinder head cracked, the motor mounts were going out, and I needed a new water pump. To avoid very high repair bills, I went ahead and dropped a used quad four with about 53,000 miles on it in my car, especially since transmission is still in good repair. Overall the car has run great. It has had a few small issues here and there but it hasn't been that much of a problem for the family. The I-4 has adequate acceleration and handle is ok. Fortunately its an Oldmobile so it is a very comfortable car.

Favorite Features

The overall comfort. It is the perfect size for me and my crap! I went all the way to 140,000 miles before any serious issue arose. It has a nice amount of torque!

Suggested Improvements

Give it more than 115hp, with a broader torque band. This car currently only has power in lower revs and is guttless in upper rev range. Make the interior quieter, it has too much road noise. (Maybe it's just the tires.) Improve the exterior design. Give it a better suspension, the strut on the front right side is going bad. Other than that, it's a great car!