Used 2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

A Great Car For Anyone
By olaf_c

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2012 xterra pro-4x with about 9k miles on it about 4 months ago. So far the car is extremely reliable, fun to drive and looks good. The only thing I do not like about the car is the cheap interior but even then it is made up for with comfortable leather seats and a great stereo. I also take it off roading and it is extremely good. Other jeeps can barely keep up with it. If you don't have fun in this car then you haven't been off-roading in it.

One of my favorite features is the stereo system. It has exceptional sound and the leather option makes the car more comfortable.

I wish the interior wasn't so cheaply made. It is all molded plastic and all black with no color contrast. To be honest I wish there was more rear legroom. I know this is not supposed to be a car designed for the rear passenger (mercedes s class, audi a8 l) but my son who is 6 feet tall cannot fit back there even with the seat far up.

i should of kept my edge
By narcissa1

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i wanted a four wheel drive to get around iowa's back roads during the winter with all the room of an suv could offer more then my 08 edge. i like my exterra except the fact that when im on the roads on windy days i seem to blow as much as semis do cause of the height of the truck. i was thought i could get over not being able to get powered seats, navigation in the dash, or tvs in the head rests but i cant. for the final price of all the options i could get added i wish they would of allowed or gave the choice of those three other options. im suprised nissan wouldnt give you that unless you want a murano, just really bummed over limited options

four wheel drive

offer the navigation, offer the tvs to be installed, & offer the power seats. i still dont understand why powered seats would not be an option!

Love/Hate
By hhilde

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If I had the need I would buy this truck again and have two of them. That means I like the truck and I am happy I can get a tuck with all its functional capability in this particular size. I feel like I can go anywhere in any condition living in MN. All the professional reviews seem accurate so use those but what they don't say that I don't like is: I think the breaks are touchy and lacking feel. I also think the accelerator is jumpy meaning when you step on the gas get ready to jump and go go go! I find this annoying when trying to get out of a parallel parking spot gracefully without hitting the car in from of me. Especially downtown Seattle on a hill. Yikes!

It is a real truck SUV. Looks cool Strong engine I feel safe driving it The stereo is reasonably nice and I didn't replace it like I usually do with a new vehicle.

smoother acceleration from a complete stop Better feel in the breaks

In love
By prosha28

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my xterra for about 2 weeks (1000 miles now) and so far it has been a great vehicle. I sold my 2012 camaro because I wanted something simple and less extravagant. Plus, the camaro was giving me a headache of problems and I wanted to make the switch back to import. The gas mileage of the xterra is just ok, being able to take it on recreational trips will make up for this in the long run. Also, it feels solid and very secure to the road which I like, while being able to sit up high and in a comfortable position. I love how it rides like a truck, but does not knock you around too much.

Rugged look, deep exhaust sound even from factory parts, easy clean seats, easy to use cruise control, easy to get into, simplicity, hidden glove box, light weight key fob/key combo.

The way the head rests are permanently positioned so far forward hit me in the head if I go over a speed bump a little too fast, can't wait to get the side steps taken off because they are always in the way getting in and out, easier opening back hatch.

I am very pleased with the Xterra so far.
By johnwaynext

2012 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my Pro 4X Xterra for a few days but so far so good. I bought it for $5300 off list over Labor Day at Bommarito Nissan in Hazelwood, MO. Nissan had some great incentives then. The Xterra drives great, smooth on the highway and solid when I go off road. Fit and finish seem to be good. I like the leather seats. The upgraded sound system is wonderful, much better than the one found on the S and X models. Too early to tell about gas mileage. It will probably be comparable to my 98 GMC Jimmy at around 18 overall. I considered going to a car based CUV for better mileage but none of those seemed to be up to the capabilities of the Xterra. I will write updates regularly.

Part-time 4 wheel drive, leather seats, sound system, smooth ride on road, off road ability, towing capacity and acceleration.

Better gas mileage would make this truck even better than it is, but I can live with it because of what it can do. Power seats would also be an improvement. More choices in interior colors would be nice.