2011 Nissan Xterra Consumer Review: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x revi

2011 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Review

Pro-4X 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 6-speed Manual)

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x review
By nissanboy1 on

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Xterra strictly for it's offroad capabilities and here is my opinion after 36k miles: I bought a manual tranny model cause I was unsure if Nissan fixed the automatic tranny problem. First gear on the 6 speed is pretty good ratio wise for crawling around technical rocky terrain, I live in NV where that is most of the terrain. The stock tires were terrible offroad and should not be used in hard wheeling conditions. My Xterra would climb like a billy goat, but performed terribly in snow and mud as it wouldn't allow wheel spin to get through such. I blew up the front axle when I pulled the fuse to allow me to actually get the front wheels spinning in snow. Towing is sketchy!!!

Locking rear axle was a BIG plus, sound system is pretty good in this vehicle. Approach/departure angles are second only to a Jeep. Never had issues being to approach and get over steep obstacles (as long as it wasn't muddy or snowy).

Better suspension, I bottomed out ALL the time in this vehicle when hitting decent bumps, even on paved surfaces. Fuel economy NEVER exceeded 17 mpg even on long highway trips. Needs a more stout front axle. I felt the vehicle became rather unstable towing certain loads. Offroad lights could be better!