One of the last traditional midsized SUVs
By zweibel on
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
The Xterra PRO-4X is large enough for a family of four (although not long-legged teenagers in the back seats), but small enough to maneuver around town and offroad. It is powerful enough to easily tow my 2,000 lb boat at 75mph or climb Colorado mountain passes while fully loaded. I bought it because I wanted a midsized SUV with genuine offroad capability and decent performance on paved roads. My last two vehicles were overloaded with technology and too fragile for my tastes. Like the ads used to say, it has everything you need and nothing you don't.
Favorite Features
-leather seats (I had an upholstery shop install heating pads in the front) -powerful engine (but it's neither refined nor fuel efficient) -reliability (12,000 miles since new with no service other than oil changes) -Bluetooth -versatile and sturdy roof rack -OEM trailer hitch & wiring harness -rear cargo tie-down system -By adjusting the seats and putting a box in the rear footwell, a 6'-2" man can lie flat in the cargo area, which is impossible in a Jeep Wrangler.
Suggested Improvements
The rear leaf suspension is soft and will bottom out over large bumps even when the vehicle is empty. When heavily loaded or when towing, your headlights will blind oncoming traffic. I solved this by installing aftermarket airbags between the rear springs and the frame that can be adjusted to support various loads. Although the truck is fine for towing a 2,000 lb boat up to 75 mph, its short wheelbase makes it unstable when towing at higher speeds. I doubt it would be a good choice for towing significantly heavier loads. The iPod connection works, but the interface is terrible. If you know exactly what you are looking for it works fine, but browsing is difficult.