Used 2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

my wife and I love it
By cottonchopper

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm 60 years old and have owned lots of other vehicles this is the best/ It can "Do It All". Great in the mountains / rides and handles great /tows our boat no problem/ lots of room/fun to drive /we go everywhere in it. Only regret is I did not buy one years ago. we have 2011 xterra S 2wd and it goes every where we want to go /I can only imagine what a 4x4 is like.

Favorite Features

easy to handle/lot of room /power/and fun. A real suv.

Suggested Improvements

some of the plastic scratches easy

Traditional Midsize SUV
By creepers

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you like the traditional SUV then you will love the 2011 Pro-4X. 4.0 liter V6 is high output engine is more than enough power. Great ride with they Bilstein performance shocks. Good looking tires (had the car a month - do not know how the tires will wear yet). Traditional SUV exterior styling. Leather seats are super comfortable. Rockford Fosgate head unit sounds great. The auxillary interface is nice. The IPOD interface is also a major plus. Nice big side back windows. Looked at a new FJ and used H3 but decided agains because the size and or lack of windows.

Favorite Features

Shocks Engine Sound System Styling

Suggested Improvements

Do not get me wrong, I am a big fan of the 2011 Pro-4X. However I do have some complaints. No heated seats No heated side mirros No outside temp. guage No trip calculator - miles per gallon and miles to empty For a "top of the line" model (Pro-4X) and priced over 30K I think the above should be included.

One of the last traditional midsized SUVs
By zweibel

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Xterra PRO-4X is large enough for a family of four (although not long-legged teenagers in the back seats), but small enough to maneuver around town and offroad. It is powerful enough to easily tow my 2,000 lb boat at 75mph or climb Colorado mountain passes while fully loaded. I bought it because I wanted a midsized SUV with genuine offroad capability and decent performance on paved roads. My last two vehicles were overloaded with technology and too fragile for my tastes. Like the ads used to say, it has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Favorite Features

-leather seats (I had an upholstery shop install heating pads in the front) -powerful engine (but it's neither refined nor fuel efficient) -reliability (12,000 miles since new with no service other than oil changes) -Bluetooth -versatile and sturdy roof rack -OEM trailer hitch & wiring harness -rear cargo tie-down system -By adjusting the seats and putting a box in the rear footwell, a 6'-2" man can lie flat in the cargo area, which is impossible in a Jeep Wrangler.

Suggested Improvements

The rear leaf suspension is soft and will bottom out over large bumps even when the vehicle is empty. When heavily loaded or when towing, your headlights will blind oncoming traffic. I solved this by installing aftermarket airbags between the rear springs and the frame that can be adjusted to support various loads. Although the truck is fine for towing a 2,000 lb boat up to 75 mph, its short wheelbase makes it unstable when towing at higher speeds. I doubt it would be a good choice for towing significantly heavier loads. The iPod connection works, but the interface is terrible. If you know exactly what you are looking for it works fine, but browsing is difficult.

Great SUV with crappy tires
By vjx

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Love everything about the Xterra except the tires. First time 4 wheeling lost a tire. Can't understand why they put jelly bean tires on an otherwise rugged SUV. Soft tires also contribute to poor gas mileage. If you can afford it, switch the tires out ASAP.

Favorite Features

Good power. Drives great both on and off road.

Suggested Improvements

Original equipment tires on a vehicle meant to go off road should have at least a 3 ply sidewall.

Throw away the radio
By mossman4

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bad stereo, bad sound , No auxiliary jack, bad reception, disappointing.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Up grade the truck to an eight track or cassette this would be huge improvement (I am joking), Radio is huge disappointment for $30,000.00 vehicle everything else is great.