Used 2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

It's not your soccer mom's SUV.
By Samantha Edwards

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got the Pro-4X with leather package. Has Sirius/XM, Fosgate stereo with iPod and AUX and the Utilitrack in the cargo area for tying stuff down to keep it from sliding. I didn't want a SUV look-alike that seemed tough on pavement but caved under the pressure of an off-road situation. The first weekend I had my X, we took it off-roading in Big South Fork and at one point got it almost completely on it's side.. but after flipping a few switches, she pulled out like a champ and was none the worse for wear. Not sure why people are knocking the tires. The BFG Rugged Trails have worked fine for me. Just put on my second set at 53k miles. Add a Weathertech cargo mat and it's great for dogs!

Leather is easy to keep clean with dogs and mud. Comfortable ride. Stereo sounds great and has all needed options. Bluetooth and stereo controls on steering wheel. It's a TRUE off-road capable SUV, not a soccer-mom mobile.

Gas mileage could be better. I get about 17.5MPG on my daily commute, but I climb a steep mountain road each day so it's hard on anything. At least I know the X has the power to get me over that mountain and doesn't run in fear when the snow falls.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x review
By nissanboy1

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Xterra strictly for it's offroad capabilities and here is my opinion after 36k miles: I bought a manual tranny model cause I was unsure if Nissan fixed the automatic tranny problem. First gear on the 6 speed is pretty good ratio wise for crawling around technical rocky terrain, I live in NV where that is most of the terrain. The stock tires were terrible offroad and should not be used in hard wheeling conditions. My Xterra would climb like a billy goat, but performed terribly in snow and mud as it wouldn't allow wheel spin to get through such. I blew up the front axle when I pulled the fuse to allow me to actually get the front wheels spinning in snow. Towing is sketchy!!!

Locking rear axle was a BIG plus, sound system is pretty good in this vehicle. Approach/departure angles are second only to a Jeep. Never had issues being to approach and get over steep obstacles (as long as it wasn't muddy or snowy).

Better suspension, I bottomed out ALL the time in this vehicle when hitting decent bumps, even on paved surfaces. Fuel economy NEVER exceeded 17 mpg even on long highway trips. Needs a more stout front axle. I felt the vehicle became rather unstable towing certain loads. Offroad lights could be better!

Great SUV
By moose72690

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV!!! I have the 2011 Xterra S Black. I put a NISMO cold air intake on it and it sounds fantastic! It feels safe with all the features and how high you sit up. The only complaint is that it gets 19mpg at best and there is no AUX port????

Power, safety

Aux port, better MPG

Great SUV
By thisnthat3

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had a number of different SUV brands over the years, this by far is the best. It is a "true" SUV not a crossover, lots of space & just generally a great fun car to drive. Very reliable, have driven back & forth down South a few times w/o any problems whatsoever. It was a year old when purchased.

Interior space, height

Solid Truck, lacks features, it is what it is though.
By skrillax

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2011 Xterra about 6 months ago. Its a very solid truck, tons of power, great torque, havent had the time to get down in the snow but it seems to carry itself well through all other weather situations. It definitely lacks some features for a 2011 model, suck as an AV input or a USB input. The stereo system isnt as bad as people say, just change the head unit and it sounds fine. Interior could use some better materials, but its a Utility / Off Road built truck, its good for what its built for. Get a Pathfinder if you want luxury.

Power, torque, ability. Lots of storage, love the design.

USB or AV input. Better interior materials, the plastic easily scratches. Better stock amenities to keep up with similar trucks (ie: wrangler).