2011 Nissan Xterra X SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2011 Xterra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Sort Reviews by

It's not your soccer mom's SUV.
By Samantha Edwards

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got the Pro-4X with leather package. Has Sirius/XM, Fosgate stereo with iPod and AUX and the Utilitrack in the cargo area for tying stuff down to keep it from sliding. I didn't want a SUV look-alike that seemed tough on pavement but caved under the pressure of an off-road situation. The first weekend I had my X, we took it off-roading in Big South Fork and at one point got it almost completely on it's side.. but after flipping a few switches, she pulled out like a champ and was none the worse for wear. Not sure why people are knocking the tires. The BFG Rugged Trails have worked fine for me. Just put on my second set at 53k miles. Add a Weathertech cargo mat and it's great for dogs!

Favorite Features

Leather is easy to keep clean with dogs and mud. Comfortable ride. Stereo sounds great and has all needed options. Bluetooth and stereo controls on steering wheel. It's a TRUE off-road capable SUV, not a soccer-mom mobile.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better. I get about 17.5MPG on my daily commute, but I climb a steep mountain road each day so it's hard on anything. At least I know the X has the power to get me over that mountain and doesn't run in fear when the snow falls.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x review
By nissanboy1

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Xterra strictly for it's offroad capabilities and here is my opinion after 36k miles: I bought a manual tranny model cause I was unsure if Nissan fixed the automatic tranny problem. First gear on the 6 speed is pretty good ratio wise for crawling around technical rocky terrain, I live in NV where that is most of the terrain. The stock tires were terrible offroad and should not be used in hard wheeling conditions. My Xterra would climb like a billy goat, but performed terribly in snow and mud as it wouldn't allow wheel spin to get through such. I blew up the front axle when I pulled the fuse to allow me to actually get the front wheels spinning in snow. Towing is sketchy!!!

Favorite Features

Locking rear axle was a BIG plus, sound system is pretty good in this vehicle. Approach/departure angles are second only to a Jeep. Never had issues being to approach and get over steep obstacles (as long as it wasn't muddy or snowy).

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension, I bottomed out ALL the time in this vehicle when hitting decent bumps, even on paved surfaces. Fuel economy NEVER exceeded 17 mpg even on long highway trips. Needs a more stout front axle. I felt the vehicle became rather unstable towing certain loads. Offroad lights could be better!

Great SUV
By moose72690

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV!!! I have the 2011 Xterra S Black. I put a NISMO cold air intake on it and it sounds fantastic! It feels safe with all the features and how high you sit up. The only complaint is that it gets 19mpg at best and there is no AUX port????

Favorite Features

Power, safety

Suggested Improvements

Aux port, better MPG

Great SUV
By thisnthat3

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had a number of different SUV brands over the years, this by far is the best. It is a "true" SUV not a crossover, lots of space & just generally a great fun car to drive. Very reliable, have driven back & forth down South a few times w/o any problems whatsoever. It was a year old when purchased.

Favorite Features

Interior space, height

Solid Truck, lacks features, it is what it is though.
By skrillax

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2011 Xterra about 6 months ago. Its a very solid truck, tons of power, great torque, havent had the time to get down in the snow but it seems to carry itself well through all other weather situations. It definitely lacks some features for a 2011 model, suck as an AV input or a USB input. The stereo system isnt as bad as people say, just change the head unit and it sounds fine. Interior could use some better materials, but its a Utility / Off Road built truck, its good for what its built for. Get a Pathfinder if you want luxury.

Favorite Features

Power, torque, ability. Lots of storage, love the design.

Suggested Improvements

USB or AV input. Better interior materials, the plastic easily scratches. Better stock amenities to keep up with similar trucks (ie: wrangler).

my wife and I love it
By cottonchopper

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm 60 years old and have owned lots of other vehicles this is the best/ It can "Do It All". Great in the mountains / rides and handles great /tows our boat no problem/ lots of room/fun to drive /we go everywhere in it. Only regret is I did not buy one years ago. we have 2011 xterra S 2wd and it goes every where we want to go /I can only imagine what a 4x4 is like.

Favorite Features

easy to handle/lot of room /power/and fun. A real suv.

Suggested Improvements

some of the plastic scratches easy

Traditional Midsize SUV
By creepers

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you like the traditional SUV then you will love the 2011 Pro-4X. 4.0 liter V6 is high output engine is more than enough power. Great ride with they Bilstein performance shocks. Good looking tires (had the car a month - do not know how the tires will wear yet). Traditional SUV exterior styling. Leather seats are super comfortable. Rockford Fosgate head unit sounds great. The auxillary interface is nice. The IPOD interface is also a major plus. Nice big side back windows. Looked at a new FJ and used H3 but decided agains because the size and or lack of windows.

Favorite Features

Shocks Engine Sound System Styling

Suggested Improvements

Do not get me wrong, I am a big fan of the 2011 Pro-4X. However I do have some complaints. No heated seats No heated side mirros No outside temp. guage No trip calculator - miles per gallon and miles to empty For a "top of the line" model (Pro-4X) and priced over 30K I think the above should be included.

One of the last traditional midsized SUVs
By zweibel

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Xterra PRO-4X is large enough for a family of four (although not long-legged teenagers in the back seats), but small enough to maneuver around town and offroad. It is powerful enough to easily tow my 2,000 lb boat at 75mph or climb Colorado mountain passes while fully loaded. I bought it because I wanted a midsized SUV with genuine offroad capability and decent performance on paved roads. My last two vehicles were overloaded with technology and too fragile for my tastes. Like the ads used to say, it has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Favorite Features

-leather seats (I had an upholstery shop install heating pads in the front) -powerful engine (but it's neither refined nor fuel efficient) -reliability (12,000 miles since new with no service other than oil changes) -Bluetooth -versatile and sturdy roof rack -OEM trailer hitch & wiring harness -rear cargo tie-down system -By adjusting the seats and putting a box in the rear footwell, a 6'-2" man can lie flat in the cargo area, which is impossible in a Jeep Wrangler.

Suggested Improvements

The rear leaf suspension is soft and will bottom out over large bumps even when the vehicle is empty. When heavily loaded or when towing, your headlights will blind oncoming traffic. I solved this by installing aftermarket airbags between the rear springs and the frame that can be adjusted to support various loads. Although the truck is fine for towing a 2,000 lb boat up to 75 mph, its short wheelbase makes it unstable when towing at higher speeds. I doubt it would be a good choice for towing significantly heavier loads. The iPod connection works, but the interface is terrible. If you know exactly what you are looking for it works fine, but browsing is difficult.

Great SUV with crappy tires
By vjx

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Love everything about the Xterra except the tires. First time 4 wheeling lost a tire. Can't understand why they put jelly bean tires on an otherwise rugged SUV. Soft tires also contribute to poor gas mileage. If you can afford it, switch the tires out ASAP.

Favorite Features

Good power. Drives great both on and off road.

Suggested Improvements

Original equipment tires on a vehicle meant to go off road should have at least a 3 ply sidewall.

Throw away the radio
By mossman4

2011 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bad stereo, bad sound , No auxiliary jack, bad reception, disappointing.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Up grade the truck to an eight track or cassette this would be huge improvement (I am joking), Radio is huge disappointment for $30,000.00 vehicle everything else is great.