Used 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Well worth the money
By Todd Van

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Review This is my first Xterra and love it. This is a solid, safe SUV. The 2011 is very comfy, but there is something I wish it had, carpeted cargo area (otherwise EVERYTHING slides around) I bought it with power seats, multi-CD changer, Sirius radio, and leather, the Rockford Fosgate stereo is great, and I added a ipod plug to complete it. The plastic console collects every piece of dust because it has a softer material. I my X to the mountains and give it a serious workout and it performs great. I have locking differentals, roof rack, and heavy duty bumpers and they all work great. I've towed my 4K toyhauler around, but wouldn't recommend doing this in the mountains. The mileage is 10 to 14 in town and 15 to 17 on the hwy, not bad for 4 wheel drive. These are real numbers by dividing gallons into mileage. The few things I've done to my truck is add, HD bumper front and rear, air bags in rear, Ipod plug, led light bar on bumper and winch. I have used everything quite a bit too. If you want a SUV that does it all this is the one.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x review
By nissanboy1

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Xterra strictly for it's offroad capabilities and here is my opinion after 36k miles: I bought a manual tranny model cause I was unsure if Nissan fixed the automatic tranny problem. First gear on the 6 speed is pretty good ratio wise for crawling around technical rocky terrain, I live in NV where that is most of the terrain. The stock tires were terrible offroad and should not be used in hard wheeling conditions. My Xterra would climb like a billy goat, but performed terribly in snow and mud as it wouldn't allow wheel spin to get through such. I blew up the front axle when I pulled the fuse to allow me to actually get the front wheels spinning in snow. Towing is sketchy!!!

Locking rear axle was a BIG plus, sound system is pretty good in this vehicle. Approach/departure angles are second only to a Jeep. Never had issues being to approach and get over steep obstacles (as long as it wasn't muddy or snowy).

Better suspension, I bottomed out ALL the time in this vehicle when hitting decent bumps, even on paved surfaces. Fuel economy NEVER exceeded 17 mpg even on long highway trips. Needs a more stout front axle. I felt the vehicle became rather unstable towing certain loads. Offroad lights could be better!

• SUV