Used 2011 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2011 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Well worth the money
By Todd Van

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Xterra and love it. This is a solid, safe SUV. The 2011 is very comfy, but there is something I wish it had, carpeted cargo area (otherwise EVERYTHING slides around) I bought it with power seats, multi-CD changer, Sirius radio, and leather, the Rockford Fosgate stereo is great, and I added a ipod plug to complete it. The plastic console collects every piece of dust because it has a softer material. I my X to the mountains and give it a serious workout and it performs great. I have locking differentals, roof rack, and heavy duty bumpers and they all work great. I've towed my 4K toyhauler around, but wouldn't recommend doing this in the mountains. The mileage is 10 to 14 in town and 15 to 17 on the hwy, not bad for 4 wheel drive. These are real numbers by dividing gallons into mileage. The few things I've done to my truck is add, HD bumper front and rear, air bags in rear, Ipod plug, led light bar on bumper and winch. I have used everything quite a bit too. If you want a SUV that does it all this is the one.

It's not your soccer mom's SUV.
By Samantha Edwards

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got the Pro-4X with leather package. Has Sirius/XM, Fosgate stereo with iPod and AUX and the Utilitrack in the cargo area for tying stuff down to keep it from sliding.
I didn't want a SUV look-alike that seemed tough on pavement but caved under the pressure of an off-road situation. The first weekend I had my X, we took it off-roading in Big South Fork and at one point got it almost completely on it's side.. but after flipping a few switches, she pulled out like a champ and was none the worse for wear.
Not sure why people are knocking the tires. The BFG Rugged Trails have worked fine for me. Just put on my second set at 53k miles.
Add a Weathertech cargo mat and it's great for dogs!

Leather is easy to keep clean with dogs and mud. Comfortable ride. Stereo sounds great and has all needed options. Bluetooth and stereo controls on steering wheel. It's a TRUE off-road capable SUV, not a soccer-mom mobile.

Gas mileage could be better. I get about 17.5MPG on my daily commute, but I climb a steep mountain road each day so it's hard on anything. At least I know the X has the power to get me over that mountain and doesn't run in fear when the snow falls.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x review
By nissanboy1

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Xterra strictly for it's offroad capabilities and here is my opinion after 36k miles: I bought a manual tranny model cause I was unsure if Nissan fixed the automatic tranny problem. First gear on the 6 speed is pretty good ratio wise for crawling around technical rocky terrain, I live in NV where that is most of the terrain. The stock tires were terrible offroad and should not be used in hard wheeling conditions. My Xterra would climb like a billy goat, but performed terribly in snow and mud as it wouldn't allow wheel spin to get through such. I blew up the front axle when I pulled the fuse to allow me to actually get the front wheels spinning in snow. Towing is sketchy!!!

Locking rear axle was a BIG plus, sound system is pretty good in this vehicle. Approach/departure angles are second only to a Jeep. Never had issues being to approach and get over steep obstacles (as long as it wasn't muddy or snowy).

Better suspension, I bottomed out ALL the time in this vehicle when hitting decent bumps, even on paved surfaces. Fuel economy NEVER exceeded 17 mpg even on long highway trips. Needs a more stout front axle. I felt the vehicle became rather unstable towing certain loads. Offroad lights could be better!

Great SUV
By moose72690

2011 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV!!! I have the 2011 Xterra S Black. I put a NISMO cold air intake on it and it sounds fantastic! It feels safe with all the features and how high you sit up. The only complaint is that it gets 19mpg at best and there is no AUX port????

Power, safety

Aux port, better MPG

Great SUV
By thisnthat3

2011 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had a number of different SUV brands over the years, this by far is the best. It is a "true" SUV not a crossover, lots of space & just generally a great fun car to drive. Very reliable, have driven back & forth down South a few times w/o any problems whatsoever. It was a year old when purchased.

UPDATE: Have now owned this car 3 years & its still runs as if brand new. Only regular maintenance performed, oil changes, tires, etc. Otherwise car runs great, no problems. Would definitely purchase another.