Used 2010 Nissan Xterra S SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Good Buy
By ficklest

2010 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Xterra because I wanted the, up-high road view, safety and comfort of an SUV, but didn't want to spend over $30K. Also, the style of the X has always turned my head; I got the gun metal gray - great looking vehicle. So, I got exactly what I wanted. Nothing fancy about the X, but I have what I need, but no toys. Toys are nice. I miss them, but don't need them. I commute 104 miles per day and find the X to be a comfortable ride - not rough as so many have said. I'm getting 21 MPG on a stop-and-go highway ride - much better than I expected. With gas prices on the rise, I will most likely go back to a small, gas efficient vehicle next purchase, but I am enjoying the X.

Favorite Features

Style, durability, versatilty and price.

Suggested Improvements

None really. The X is what it is advertised to be. Not crazy about the brakes - they don't feel "confident" to me.

Paved or not, this beats them all!
By sailorman

2010 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love our new Xterra. We have a Ford Escape and were going to get another one but after one drive in the Xterra we couldn't go back. I still grin when I have to load cargo into the massive trunk or crawl over rocks effortlessly. The huge windows all around offer a wonderful view and safer lane-changing. I spend the week commuting and this bulky SUV is surprisingly comfortable. On the weekends, it dominates off-road and I've never doubted if it could take me where I want to go. This is a great all-around vehicle for me and my growing family.

Favorite Features

360 degree views, rubber lined cargo space for easy clean-up, tons of neat manly gadgets like rooftop storage, hidden storage in the trunk and impressive tow-rating.

Suggested Improvements

A sunroof would make things sportier. The interior is a bit bland and easy to scratch. Also, no power seats in anything but the SE is tough for multiple drivers of different heights. Otherwise, impressed every day by my Xterra.

My Xterra
By cbw

2010 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking around for a new truck. I was waiting on the new F-150, but Ford make them so big now, it wouldn't fit in the garage. So, I went the SUV route. The Xterra is one of the few built on a fully boxed truck frame for better strength. Sure it may use a little more gas than the others but it's a rock and it will run when you need it. I only have 800 miles on it and so far very impressed. I just hope it will get better when it's broken in. I tossed in a K&N panel filter and I am getting 19 in town. For those who don't know, Nissan rates it @ 15 in town.

Favorite Features

Power, seats are supportive, room and storage bins around the center console. It won't stop at 100 like my wife's Escape.

Suggested Improvements

Glove box a little too small. Put in 5yr 100k coolant to cut down cost a little. At 40 it has already shifted into top gear and it will moan because you are going too slow for the gear.

Tough
By cbw

2010 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you want to increase your mileage, toss in a K&N filter. I am getting 19 in town with the air on. I can't complain too much since I did upgrade from a car. Sure you are going to burn a little gas, but it's worth it for a compact SUV with a fully boxed frame. The ride is quiet even @ 80,90, 100, it's a rock.

Favorite Features

Power. Seats are supportive. Room.

Suggested Improvements

Toughen up the interior materials a bit more.