Used 2010 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2010 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Solid Versatile Truck for a Good Price
By dallas70

2010 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new 4yrs / 42k miles ago and I'm more impressed than ever. Rock solid performance and reliability so far. I'd say it provides more capability and livability for the price than just about any other 4x4 SUV. I paid $23,800 after rebates and I think the only area of the Xterra that reflects the bargain price is some of the interior parts (seat material, hard plastics, cargo area plastic not as tough as I'd like). We've made many family trips and commutes with this SUV in all conditions and the only thing I would do differently is go for the nicer PRO4X model.

Favorite Features

Go-anywhere confidence, great visibility, cargo capacity, appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Seat material, quality of interior plastics, diesel engine option for fuel economy.

Great Value on and Off Road
By xterraoffroad

2010 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a Frontier to upgrading to the Xterra Off Road and WOW. This vehicle is an incredible performer on and off road. It's filled with everything you need like hill-descent assist, locking diffs, 4X4, lots of space and cargo hold, and nothing you don't. The seats fold completely flat, the roof rack has plenty of room for the kayaks, and the awesome 4.0 V6 has more than enough power to tow my 26 ft sailboat. I can't say enough about how smooth this truck rides and how well it conquers terrain off road. Surprisingly, I have been averaging 20mpg. I thought I would have done much worse, but it just makes this rig that much sweeter. Nissan's 4.0L is indestructible. Highly recommend!

Favorite Features

Awesome engine, towing, driving performance, the roof racks, cargo space, fold-flat seating, Rockford Fosgate sound system, off road lamps, and the way it feels so solid.

Suggested Improvements

the interior plastics scratch too easily, interior could benefit from stronger materials and a sunroof or skylights would be neat.

avoid nissan!
By bob508

2010 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i'm a older woman with a disability, yet they sold me this lemon without disclosing it has a major defect. the cooling line from the transmission into the radiator ruptures and fills the trans with water. did not happen yet, but nissan acted incredulous when asked to remedy the defect. the last straw was when the dealer went to fix a flat on the xterra, and let me drive it for several days with 70 pounds of air in the tire. the dealer and nissan have not only caused a financial hardship for me, now they've risked life and limb as they continue to ignore my complaint.

Favorite Features

never again

Suggested Improvements

close nkissan

Good Buy
By ficklest

2010 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Xterra because I wanted the, up-high road view, safety and comfort of an SUV, but didn't want to spend over $30K. Also, the style of the X has always turned my head; I got the gun metal gray - great looking vehicle. So, I got exactly what I wanted. Nothing fancy about the X, but I have what I need, but no toys. Toys are nice. I miss them, but don't need them. I commute 104 miles per day and find the X to be a comfortable ride - not rough as so many have said. I'm getting 21 MPG on a stop-and-go highway ride - much better than I expected. With gas prices on the rise, I will most likely go back to a small, gas efficient vehicle next purchase, but I am enjoying the X.

Favorite Features

Style, durability, versatilty and price.

Suggested Improvements

None really. The X is what it is advertised to be. Not crazy about the brakes - they don't feel "confident" to me.

Solid SUV...worth a look
By Anonymous

2010 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Xterra is a true off-road capable SUV. We have about 6k miles on ours and it's been great so far. We bought the Xterra because we wanted a true 4wd that could eventually take the place of my aging Toyota Tacoma. We drove a lot of vehicles before deciding on the Xterra. No regrets. Pros- It's fun to drive and well appointed. The V6 is very powerful. Good size, not too big or too small. Cons- It's not fuel efficient. My guess is that 20 mpg is the best you can expect on the hwy, 15 in the city. Interior plastics scratch easily which is a little annoying.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine. Good ergonomics and interior is thoughtfully designed. Comfortable. Available off- road package and off-road capability. Overall size.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out a way to improve the gas mileage. For a vehicle this size it should get at least 25 mpg. Consider a diesel like what can be found in Nissans outside the U.S. Improve the quality of the plastics used on the interior. They scratch too easily.