2009 Nissan Xterra X SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2009 Xterra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Sort Reviews by

Better than I expected
By Tom

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have a place in the Western NC mountains and wanted a vehicle that could handle the old forest service access trails/roads. Began looking at the FJ but the back seat just didn't cut it. I had been trying to get the off road Xterra for six months. They are hard to get right now. This truck has a much better highway ride than I expect. On mountain highways there is very little lean in the curves. Gas mileage is better than I thought. The only negative so far is the XM radio which regularly drops reception even on Interstate highways. I am going to have that checked out. BTW the short center arm rest is no problem at all.

Favorite Features

Off road lights, hill ascent and descent, off road clearance, steering wheel audio/bluetooth controls, pretty much everything else too

Suggested Improvements

XM radio ability to hold signal

Xterra S 4x4
By Mike

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I initially wanted an FJ, but I checked- out the Xterra and was very pleased. I showed up at the dealer looking for an offroad and was informed they were next to impossible to get in my area. After much deliberation I opted for an S and never looked back. I'm very happy with my xterra, the night armor looks great and it is a very capable 4x4 even without the offroad package. But really I can put in an airlocker and heavy duty shocks if needed. Mine came with the free technology package and I love it, the hands free bluetooth has been great and the rockford audio is quite enjoyable. It has an actual back seat as well and four doors. The utility of the Xterra can't be beat. Has 4x4 gas mileage

Favorite Features

I love all the tie downs, the hard plastic rear and the muddy storage in the back and in the roof rack. Sound system and bluetooth, Good visibility and power. Fully loaded the S is a great performer and you can get a good deal on one.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the mushy brake pedal, stainless steel brake lines would be great and four piston calipers would be even better.

Second Xterra
By Glen

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second xterra. First was a 05 off-road 6speed. The new one is the same. 6 speed off-roads are soooo rare, had to jump at a new one. Still the best all around choice in a respectable 4x4 suv that can go "off-road" for real. But would like lower gears and a little more ground clearance. On the road, if you like power, this is the suv for the money.

Favorite Features

For under 30k you got something that really goes. Can chirp tires when you hit second. And it can go off road,even has a low range and a locker.

Suggested Improvements

If Nissan would install, or make an option, lower differential gears,like 4.10's, or better yet 4.56's with a low range in the 4to1 area the Xterra would be the number one 4x4 to have. Install taller tires and look out Rubicons and H3's.

Xterra SE 4w drive
By Tom

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Lots of power, handling is great, sits up high. Good vision, interior all leather great sound system. Exterior is rugged looking. Gas mileage 17.5 highway. I new that when I bought it. Wish I had heated mirrors, surprised it was not part of se package. Drove through snow storm in Michigan truck handling was super. This is very well made truck. Very happy with Nissan. Towing atv and snowmobiles and all of our gear and four adults was no problem.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, towing, great driving vision, sits up high, stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, heated mirrors, front defroster need to spread out heat better to the left and right part of the windshield.

Awesome!!
By Phil

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wow, is all I can say about this new Xterra. I just got this 09 Off Road X and I think it was the best decision I could have made. I traded in a 06 Rubicon; the Rubicon was a sweet ride but not travel friendly! Really bad gas mileage; like 9.4 miles per gallon on the highway. I got rid of the jeep and thought I was going to get the Toyota FJ, but ended up coming home with the Xterra. Reasons: I can see out of the X, the X doesn't need premium gas, the X has four doors, and the off road packages for both are the same. After driving each for a whole day the winner was the Xterra.

Favorite Features

The looks, and Nissan isn't going to stop making the Xterra any time soon!!

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that it does not have an outside temp gauge and some dislike the short arm rest, I can deal with that.

2009 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 2WD V6 Auto
By Glenda

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Awesome. I purchased the S with tech package (Rockford Fosgate premium sound system, 6 CD). This is my second Xterra. I previously owned a 2002 for four years. Love the sharp interior styling. I am still exploring the many features of the newest Xterra in Red Brick (gorgeous!). I love the molded water bottle holders in the doors and the tucked away cup holders in the back and several well-placed areas for all the things you need to take with you. Great change is the hard plastic lined cargo area (beats previous carpeted cargo area). I loved my 2002 and I know that the 2009 will not disappoint. Plenty of power and room. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Love it all!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. However, this did not hold me back.

2009 Xterra
By George

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the S with tech package, 4WD, 6M. I rented a 2006 and traveled 2000+ miles and it was a rough ride at that time. Nissan has made some wonderful changes in the suspension and engine power. The 2009 is more sports car than SUV. A true joy to drive. Very little road noise. Hands free blue tooth is great. The Rockford Fosgate music system is out of this world 8 speakers and a sub-woofer. The back seats are stadium placed so that the back seats are higher than the front. Lots of cargo area. This is my 3rd Nissan the other 2 (Stanza & Altima) I got 190,000+ miles out of them. I know that this one will do the same. A week is hard to tell much about a car, but it's long enough to say it's great

Favorite Features

Every thing about this car is a favorite.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the 16" wheels but a taller and wider tire would be better.