Used 2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Happy Camper
By Jack Kansas

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A solid unit that tows like there is nothing behind. Two road trips of 2500 miles and was very pleased with the comfort for a truck that also is a tank off road. Handles much better in snow than my old G Cherokee. I looked at the fj, H3 and others but the visibility on the X was a huge selling point. If you want an "out door" vehicle it's nice to see it. I would recommend and buy again. A good value.

Suggested Improvements

I miss the compass, outside temp, and mileage/fuel info features of the G Cherokee. I rub against the seal on the drivers door frame while getting in and out. This has frayed and ripped and needs to be replaced. Repositioning the door back just a few inches would solve this.

beast 4x4
By jag

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did my home work compare and test drive a jeep, fj and blazer and i decided to get a xterra. drove it in ohio winter storm with 24 inches of snow off road no problem still lots of power its a beast for a 4x4. i love it hope they have a bigger tires and higher ground clearance.:)

Favorite Features

sound system, masculin look

Suggested Improvements

gas mil, better wheels...

Cool truck, but not great quality
By cobra7

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck and loved it for the first 13,000 miles or so. The RF stereo sounds great, the Bluetooth phone system is great and the potential capability of the truck is excellent. However, at around 13,000 miles, the vibrations and squeaks started making me question the long term quality. There is an odd metallic vibration that comes from the front of the truck when the engine hits about 1750 RPMs when driving. Also, while I don't mind the appearance of the hard plastic interior materials, they do scratch easily. This is mostly a problem in the cargo area, where hauling basic, normal will leave it scratched up after only a couple of times. The roof rack is fantastic, though.

Favorite Features

Roof rack can haul just about anything, stereo, exterior appearance, Bluetooth, torquey engine, shift-on-fly 4X4, car tie down hooks in cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Use more scratch resistant materials in cargo area with a less slippery floor, reduce engine vibration, improve auto tranny shift points and kick-down point, raise center console for better arm rest, make both front windows auto up and down, offer heated seats, offer Homelink

One of the last real SUVs
By MissouriX

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Nissan Xterra is one of the last real SUVs, that is capable of being a daily driver AND going off road on the weekends (try that with a Hyundai Santa Fe or Toyota Rav4). Ride is definitely truck-like (and should be, since it's based on a truck platform), but still gives a quiet and smooth ride on the interstate. The Technology package is awesome, and the Bluetooth and Rockford Fosgate system are great options. I love my X. It's equally suited to long road-trips and deep woods excursions. I wouldn't want anything else.

Favorite Features

261 HP, 281 ft/lb of torque! 9+ inches of ground clearance. Roof rack is extremely useful. Seats are comfortable for long roadtrips.

Suggested Improvements

Heated mirrors

Great SUV For The Money
By Rob

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I'm very pleased with my Xterra SE. Something I haven't seen mentioned here is a recent recall I was told about through a Nissan mailing. The mailing states that there "could be" a bad weld on the torsion bar and to schedule an appointment with the dealership and they'd diagnose and repair at no cost if necessary. The dealer informed me that they needed a special welder to do the repair and they didn't have one there. They are supposed to locate a business nearby that can handle the job and contact me. They also said that Corporate Nissan informed them that this recall is for ALL Xterra's- not some of them. I felt a bit deceived by the mailing at that point. Otherwise, I'm very happy.

Favorite Features

Sound System, Blue Tooth, XM all work great. Very happy with the exterior looks and interior versatility. I camp, mountain bike, carpool etc... and it's very capable in all areas.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could benefit with stronger plastic-seems to "ding/scratch" quite easily (I'm outdoorsie but, I'm pretty conscious about taking it easy on the overall appearance of my purchase). Exterior Temp Gauge. Rear Heat/AC Control/Vents. Front Seat Heaters.