2009 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Happy Camper
By Jack Kansas on 08/26/10 22:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A solid unit that tows like there is nothing behind. Two road trips of 2500 miles and was very pleased with the comfort for a truck that also is a tank off road. Handles much better in snow than my old G Cherokee. I looked at the fj, H3 and others but the visibility on the X was a huge selling point. If you want an "out door" vehicle it's nice to see it. I would recommend and buy again. A good value.

beast 4x4
By jag on 02/11/10 18:04 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did my home work compare and test drive a jeep, fj and blazer and i decided to get a xterra. drove it in ohio winter storm with 24 inches of snow off road no problem still lots of power its a beast for a 4x4. i love it hope they have a bigger tires and higher ground clearance.:)

Cool truck, but not great quality
By cobra7 on 01/08/10 19:52 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck and loved it for the first 13,000 miles or so. The RF stereo sounds great, the Bluetooth phone system is great and the potential capability of the truck is excellent. However, at around 13,000 miles, the vibrations and squeaks started making me question the long term quality. There is an odd metallic vibration that comes from the front of the truck when the engine hits about 1750 RPMs when driving. Also, while I don't mind the appearance of the hard plastic interior materials, they do scratch easily. This is mostly a problem in the cargo area, where hauling basic, normal will leave it scratched up after only a couple of times. The roof rack is fantastic, though.

One of the last real SUVs
By MissouriX on 11/21/09 20:15 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Nissan Xterra is one of the last real SUVs, that is capable of being a daily driver AND going off road on the weekends (try that with a Hyundai Santa Fe or Toyota Rav4). Ride is definitely truck-like (and should be, since it's based on a truck platform), but still gives a quiet and smooth ride on the interstate. The Technology package is awesome, and the Bluetooth and Rockford Fosgate system are great options. I love my X. It's equally suited to long road-trips and deep woods excursions. I wouldn't want anything else.

Great SUV For The Money
By Rob on 09/19/09 06:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I'm very pleased with my Xterra SE. Something I haven't seen mentioned here is a recent recall I was told about through a Nissan mailing. The mailing states that there "could be" a bad weld on the torsion bar and to schedule an appointment with the dealership and they'd diagnose and repair at no cost if necessary. The dealer informed me that they needed a special welder to do the repair and they didn't have one there. They are supposed to locate a business nearby that can handle the job and contact me. They also said that Corporate Nissan informed them that this recall is for ALL Xterra's- not some of them. I felt a bit deceived by the mailing at that point. Otherwise, I'm very happy.

Mixed Review
By TruckLuver on 08/26/09 18:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new 2009. Rockford Fosgate sound system above average, nice technology package. Combined gas mileage (20% city, 80% hwy) is 21-22 mpg. Looks nice, rides comfortably, but I'm having hard time adjusting from previous full-size pickup truck. I am 6' tall, and I feel a little closed-in. Short arm rest is more like an elbow rest... it sucks. Test drive was good, but after a month I'm not so happy. 6 cylinder engine seems to have sufficient if not awesome power. Back seats are nice to have, but not much room for rear passengers unless you scoot front seats up. Plastic console dents easily (don't drop anything on it). Vehicle is shorter than some cars. Mixed feelings, but quality vehicle

Glad I bought it
By Andy Kuchta on 08/15/09 12:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a Nissan Frontier owner since 1995 and have been very satisfied with the quality and engineering of Nissan vehicles. Recently I began looking at the X- Terra. I was happy to see that Nissan has continued with their quality in workmanship and "thinking of the little things" like the door in the skid plate that allows you access to the oil filter when changing your oil. The interior is well designed and the ride is comfortable. For anyone looking at a mid sized SUV I'd give the X Terra more than just a passing look.

Awesome All Around 4x4 SUV
By DesertRatSoCal on 08/11/09 18:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great news for the SUV enthusiast. Nissan has really done the trick with the Xterra. Nimble on road, capable off road, easy on the wallet, outstanding performance. I'd throw stones at similar sized SUV's by the other manufacturers. This vehicle has long been a hit for the market niche and I would recommend the average individual who needs a slightly larger vehicle to take a test drive. The fuel economy is exceptional for the type of vehicle and its capabilities.

Love My New Xterra
By roymac on 08/03/09 16:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This my first Xterra but seventh Nissan. It's hard to beat a Nissan vehicle. The Xterra is a great SUV to drive. My wife calls it my "sport truck". Besides a great price my Xterra also came with $1300 of free electronics upgrades. The Rockford Fosgate sound system is great, much better than the Bose I had in my Pathfinder. The Blue Tooth hands free phone is also great as is the XM satellite radio. The Xterra handles extremely well and is a solidly built vehicle. The 261 h.p. engine is typical Nissan quality - great quality and performance. I've never had a single engine problem with all my previous Nissans. In summary, I am totally satisfied with my new Xterra.

no brainer
By L.A. on 07/09/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second xterra, my first was a 2000 SE purchased in 99'. There is no other suv out at the moment that I would rather have (excluding the larger BMW X's and infinity QX56). My 2000 only gave me a fuel pump problem (replaced by dealer on a recall) in 100,000 of driving, with very bad maintenance record after the 2nd year, changed oil every other year. So I figured I pushed it to the max (last day came back from the jersey shore at avg.80MPH and it was time to get a new one. I love my 2009 off road - the sound system is awsome. The truck, well I'll just let it speak for itself. now if I can just pay this sucker off I would be the happiest man on the planet.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Xterra Suv in VA is:

$126 per month*