Lots of truck for the buck! Fantastic!
By Bill on
2008 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
We've always been a Nissan family and bought our latest two, an '07 Sentra S (my daily driver) and '06 Xterra Off-Road (spouse's daily driver), in 10/06. While I rarely drove the Xterra, I loved being high up and having power to spare when I did, so much in fact that I just traded my Sentra for a '08 Xterra. Even the base trim offers great bang for the buck. The 4.0L V6 is a beast, the 5 spd A/T meshes well with it, and it came with standard features that not even my S trim Sentra came with, including cruise, ABS, VDC and EBD (traction control). It's my first SUV and my first RWD vehicle, but its dimensions are easy to acclimate to, and its handling, though still SUV- like, is quite confident.
Favorite Features
High-up driving position makes me feel safer than I felt in my Sentra and gives a better view of the road, has power to spare, surprisingly agile and confident handling even with the base tires (General Grabber) and wheels (16" steel), standard ABS/trac, red alert color is very sharp and gets looks!
Suggested Improvements
Wish the seat height adjusted like our Off-Road, but not a deal breaker and the fixed height is fine; VDC could be a bit more forgiving in terms of allowing wheel spin when liberally applying gas from a stop; base HU should read MP3 CDs; better MPG would be nice but wasn't expecting great fuel eco.