Used 2008 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

most versatile vehicle I've ever owned
By john

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my offroad exterra new. After comparing and testing to the fj cruiser. I found that the exterra was much more versatile and tougher built. I drive my vehicle every day on and offroad. With the back seat folded down there is almost the same amount of room as a small truck, with the convenience of being able to put the seats back up for passengers. I've owned this vehicle for over a year and nothing slows it down. You can Cruise comfortably on the freeway, and then switch to 4 wheel drive and travel over the roughest terrain. Also it has good towing capabilities. Considering that the v-6 is more powerful than most v-8s and that it is an offroad 4x4 it gets great mpg w/out being boring.

powerful engine and fun to drive

Wow I Love this Xterra!
By Xtremely Happy

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Decided on the Xterra after looking at Honda CR-V, Acura RDX, Toyota Highlander, etc. The Xterra may seem not fancy enough for some folks, but seriously it's got everything you need. I've been extremely pleased with this Xterra, it's such a great all round vehicle, easy to drive and not a ginormous vehicle. It's straightforward, drives great and has not given me one moment's trouble in 5 months of daily driving.

Exterior design, radio controls on steering wheel and very comfortable seats. Satellite Radio is awesome too.

Well, since I drive in the city only, I will say I'd like to have better gas mileage!

Thoughts on Xterra
By Jack

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Xterra has its ups and downs, the engine offers nice power, but fuel mileage is bad. Sometimes city/hwy average mileage as low as 13 mpg that's not even using 4wd. Aerodynamics are terrible roof rack, running boards, fenders, back bumper steps, heavy 4wd system. The auto tranny shifts well. Cargo area offers a decent amount of space. Overall satisfied.

Engine, tranny shifts.

Sun roof option, although that would take away the top basket. Leather options. Factory integrated navigation with reverse camera. Might as well make that V6 a V8, mpg is just as bad. 6 speed automatic transmission. all terrain tires. Funkier exterior styling like fj.

My Xterra rocks!
By Ken

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned everything from a Toyota Corolla to a BMW. As I have gotten older practicality and reliability are huge factors in my decision making now. The Xterra is the best midsize SUV on the market. It is also the best value. Do your own research and see for yourself. Depending on where you are in the country you should be able to get a new one at or under invoice if rebates are included. Major improvement over the old body style and engines.

The 4WD is incredible for off roading and I do not even have the Off Road package. Fuel economy is slightly better than advertised if you spend the majority of the time doing the speed limit.

The base radio can be improved but not a big deal. A little more leg room in the back would be nice but I don't ride back there so not a big deal for me either plus I ride like a brother in a Cadillac with my seat back so my backseat passengers get the dirty end of the stick anyways.

Very pleased, minor complaints
By SgtJoe

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my Xterra, it was very affordable and meets all of my needs. The only complaints are the seats are kinda cheap. Material for seats get worn fast. The other complaint is that the X model did not come with crossbars for the roof rack! Why have a roof rack without cross members and they cost almost $250. All and all I love my Xterra and the six speed makes it very fun to drive.

six speed manual

better material for seats and cross members for roof rack with all models