2008 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
08 xterra off road automatic
By Zee06Mikey on 03/24/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Truck is built very well. Good brakes, handling and performance. Seats are comfortable. Paint and build quality is spot on perfect. After a couple days of ownership noticed a rumble vibration at 35 mph and after a couple of trips back to the dealer service and driving other new ones all xterras 2008 seem to have this noise. Hopefully there will be a TSB soon to address this noise.

2008 replacement of 2005
By Spunoffandaway on 03/01/08 15:32 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Another great car! The 2008 may be the last in this series, so I had to buy before they change it into a cross-over! I drive a lot of interstate miles, and feel safe with higher assurance of returning if hit. Sort of a small tank. No fear of muddy country roads with the great 4wd. Did have to give up a power plug for the MP3 plug-in (bummer)!The 08 has added XM radio and does offer some good entertainment while on trips. Almost same as 05, slight loss of build quality. Noticeable looseness in rear torque conversion around 35 mph or so, not in 05. Maybe it will go away with time. Still could not get side airbag option, must be a myth, like GPS. Not an economy car. Feels secure on the road.

After 100 miles
By Happysofar on 02/22/08 20:22 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Wanted the best of both worlds - hauling / towing power, decent fuel economy & off-road ability. Looked at the Toyota FJ which is not a vehicle for a family. Went back to Edmunds and saw the xterra FJ comparison. Bought the X manual 6 spd. It drives very well, it's comfortable, great visibility & a fun ride. Interior is more than sufficient for our needs. Not sure what the "cheap plastic" complaint means. I can't see anything wrong with the vehicle - I really like everything about it.

4 Guys and Their Stuff - Anywhere!
By Xtrapol8 on 02/21/08 14:04 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The FJ Cruiser and the 4-door Rubicon are both excellent vehicles that also have serious off-road capabilities and a manual transmission ... but I've made the right choice for me. Three other 6' 200lb guys can accompany me into oblivion for a 5-day canoe trip and return home again nothing but pleased with the Xterra. On the flipside, my 5'2" 100lb wife and my 4 and 7 year old children love it too. Soon I'll get some proper rock sliders that they can use as a step up into the truck. For a truck that you sit ON and command, and that will do almost anything, the Xterra is remarkably quiet and easy to drive in town and on the highway. High end stereo/CD/MP3/iPod helps too.

2008 Nissan Xterra
By Xtrapol8 on 02/15/08 17:17 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am completely satisfied. I can happily go canoeing virtually anywhere. X and I can return afterward to my wife and 2 small children and life is still great and still fully enabled. Make yourself a mat for the back (<$20). The Xterra's solid build quality, go-anywhere capability, versatile nature, and aggressive looks make it a must-drive if you're in the market. This vehicle is what it purports to be - a means to an end... any end I choose.

Loving my Xterra
By Daily Driver on 02/03/08 08:31 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased by Xterra in 12/07 and love driving it. The whole family fights to get to drive it places. On an average day I drive 50-80 freeway miles and 10-15 in the neighborhood. I am getting 22-23 mpg. I am getting better than expected, because I expected it to the 12-13 like my dad's Titan. TPremium fuel helps dramatically on the Nissans, and most Nissan owner manuals require it.

More holes in your wallet
By Sherpa on 02/01/08 14:03 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my '08 Off-Road edition in Dec 2007. I have driven it on both city streets and highway, and have been on a few long road trips. For being a truck, Xterra offers a very comfortable ride. At the end of my longest trip, six hours, I still felt very relaxed with no sore muscles. On the highway, this vehicle will not disappoint you. Those little hills on the highway won't be a problem at all and passing other vehicles is a breeze. In the city, it's amazing. If I am stopped at a light and the light turns green and I step on the gas, it just goes! One thing I hate is the cold weather driving. It feels a little sluggish until the engine reaches the optimal level. Waiting to offroad now.

Lots of truck for the buck! Fantastic!
By Bill on 01/21/08 13:57 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've always been a Nissan family and bought our latest two, an '07 Sentra S (my daily driver) and '06 Xterra Off-Road (spouse's daily driver), in 10/06. While I rarely drove the Xterra, I loved being high up and having power to spare when I did, so much in fact that I just traded my Sentra for a '08 Xterra. Even the base trim offers great bang for the buck. The 4.0L V6 is a beast, the 5 spd A/T meshes well with it, and it came with standard features that not even my S trim Sentra came with, including cruise, ABS, VDC and EBD (traction control). It's my first SUV and my first RWD vehicle, but its dimensions are easy to acclimate to, and its handling, though still SUV- like, is quite confident.

Not the "family" vehicle...
By Family Guy on 01/16/08 13:34 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

No question that the Xterra is fun to drive; it is rugged and has presence. Keep in mind that this SUV is built for an active lifestyle and all of its features and capabilities are on target. Vehicle handles well, sport-like in how responsive it is when weaving in and out of traffic. Smooth ride, even on uneven pavement. Truck-like in that the engine is more than enough output, very quick acceleration, powerful V6. Interior space is a bit tight, comfortable for 4. Cloth seats are comfortable and make sense for those X-treme adventures. You are seated high in the cabin, but rear seats are too upright. Lots of plastic used in the interior, but it's the best (real) SUV bargain.

X-tra Special Xterra 2008
By Debbie on 01/03/08 10:25 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I truly love the way the X-Terra handles and drives compared to the 2003 I had. I like it being bigger and wider.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.