2008 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Off road ready, but still stock
By petarvn1 on 02/28/13 21:45 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought certified 2 years ago, Our Xterra has seen dirt, water, and 110 on it's speedometer. We had no problems driving it on light offroad courses, and it's big enough to seat 4 in the back (please dont do it though!) The MPG's aren't too good, but it's good enough for what it is. Surprised at it's speed, though, since it outsprints most family sedans to 60, and the 21+ gallon tank will last you 350-ish miles. Biggest problem are the rear seats. The front ones are soft, and big, but the rear bench feels just like that. a park bench. don't spend more than 4 hours in the back of it, or your back will hurt.

Great SUV
By az_ryan on 04/01/12 21:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Xterra S used and love it. The V6 engine is powerful and the ride is smooth and quite. The exterior styling is really nice looking. The interior is pleasant looking and roomy, but very minimal. There are lots of plastic panels and very few bells and whistles you would expect. It would be nice to have more features. The biggest disappointment was the terrible factory sound system. One of the first things I did was replace the radio and speakers with an aftermarket system. The rear cargo is very nicely thought out with adjustable tie downs on the floor and roof, storage under the floor, and rear seats that fold down flush making lots of room for dogs or hauling. Cleans up nice.

2 yrs and still running great
By nick_ole on 03/26/11 10:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fun SUV to drive... hugs the road like a champ with smooth acceleration and strong brakes. Mine is a 4x4... haven't taken it off road yet but looking forward to it. Got mine a yr old at a steal and even if I didn't, it's still worth the money. It's expensive to maintain though...tires cost 200+ a piece and maintenance at the Nissan dealership which I recommend, is still expensive. But all in all, haven't had mechanical issues yet @ 66000 miles. This is my second Nissan after my 2004 Maxima SL and Nissan hasn't failed me yet.

Pretty Nice truck
By kev2011 on 01/24/11 20:56 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive been a maxima owner for the last 10 yrs and this is quite a switch. im starting a biz this spring and need the towing. i hope it is up to the task. the car rides nice for a truck but is uncomfortable for long drives which i do every day. the armrest makes me twist my body to use it. the seats are ok. the roof rattles over bumps. the stereo is not even close to the BOSE in a maxima. adjusting to much less creature comforts has taken some time, but i do like the truck. snow is no match for it. i pulled my 20ft boat with it this summer and hardly noticed i was towing anything. i hope its half as good as my maxima.

Safest Small SUV Money Can Buy
By ssnman on 03/29/10 14:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my two teenagers each a new Xterra. Each now has lived through a horrific accident. One side impact the other head on. Both vehicles totaled. Both cases i am absolutely amazed at the sturdy frame construction and impact resistance the Xterra has. I was told by all professionals involved that both survivals were miracles. That may be but Nissan makes one heck of an SUV. That from a grateful Dad.

Awesome!!
By kolzilla on 03/11/10 12:23 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just recently bought my Nissan and Love it. It's so comfortable and handles the road like I was driving my Mustang. I wanted something a little bigger than what i had which was chev blazer and with a little more horsepower. Even tho I got a used car with low mileage it's still a great purchase. I recommend this vehicle to anyone..

Nissan Is #1
By Beverly Edwards on 01/15/10 19:56 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is 2nd X-terra - my first was not a four wheel drive - but she traveled extremely well - the one i own now is a four wheel drive and i love her even more - i can not imagine owning another vehicle but if i do somewhere down the line - i promise it will be a Nissan - i will never go back to any other vehicle - Nissan is the best made auto!!!

Work horse
By NatG83 on 11/04/09 14:44 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Engine is powerful, but could be more fuel efficient if given cylinder deactivate. Never strained even with full load. Cargo area is durable, but scratches easily. Ride could be smoother if Live-axle and leaf springs were traded for independent suspension. HVAC works surprisingly well, considering there are only vents in the front of the truck. Vehicle is great in weather even when in RWD mode. Use 4WD, and nothing stops it.

Greatest Bargain SUV out there
By carmoose0082 on 10/27/09 12:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Love this SUV. Very rugged yet great on or off the road. Great list of standard features for a $20K base price mid size SUV. No money wasters on this one only the things you need. Not one complaint in almost 2 years of driving and 25K miles. 4.0L VQ engine is awesome, pulls hard and tows great and quiet to boot.

2nd Xterra
By Xterra#2 4me on 09/28/09 17:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Xterra purchase. I bought a 2000 when they first came out. The changes and improvements are generous. The horse power increase is terrific. The A/C is improved and cargo area is easier to work with. I have had my new one since Feb 2008 and love it. The only change I did was buy an automatic, I have to deal with stop and go traffic in my commute.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Nissan Xterra Suv in WA is:

$147 per month*