Used 2008 Nissan Xterra SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Pretty Nice truck
By kev2011

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive been a maxima owner for the last 10 yrs and this is quite a switch. im starting a biz this spring and need the towing. i hope it is up to the task. the car rides nice for a truck but is uncomfortable for long drives which i do every day. the armrest makes me twist my body to use it. the seats are ok. the roof rattles over bumps. the stereo is not even close to the BOSE in a maxima. adjusting to much less creature comforts has taken some time, but i do like the truck. snow is no match for it. i pulled my 20ft boat with it this summer and hardly noticed i was towing anything. i hope its half as good as my maxima.

Favorite Features

i like the front and rear exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

dont like the all plastic rear cargo. everything slides all over when i drive. the roof rack rattles.

Better Than Expected..!
By RSchools

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been test driving Xterras every year since their inception (2000?) and have always wanted one. When gas went to over $4.00 a gallon in Aug 08 I knew that it was a buyers market and purchased a new 08 for $18K even, or more than 9k off the sticker price -- WHAT A STEAL..!! Overall, I am exceptionally pleased with my Xterra. It gets 17+ mpg around town and just over 21 on the hwy. It is a very comfortable vehicle, even on long trips, and the versatility of the rear cargo area is wonderful. Some folks have complained about its interior plastic, but I luv it, as all it takes is a wet cloth to clean it in a snap. The only negative is that I didn't buy two of them when they were CHEAP!

Favorite Features

Built-in factory trailer hitch, 5000 pound towing capacity, very quiet interior, well-mannered driving both in-town and on the highway, smooth auto transmission, high ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Make the large center console storage compartment removable (like everything else), so that when you want to carry large items such as plywood in the back cargo area, it will not get in the way, and will allow you to store larger items.

Wow I Love this Xterra!
By Xtremely Happy

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Decided on the Xterra after looking at Honda CR-V, Acura RDX, Toyota Highlander, etc. The Xterra may seem not fancy enough for some folks, but seriously it's got everything you need. I've been extremely pleased with this Xterra, it's such a great all round vehicle, easy to drive and not a ginormous vehicle. It's straightforward, drives great and has not given me one moment's trouble in 5 months of daily driving.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, radio controls on steering wheel and very comfortable seats. Satellite Radio is awesome too.

Suggested Improvements

Well, since I drive in the city only, I will say I'd like to have better gas mileage!

Love it!
By Wafubu

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 4 Hondas of which 2 were CR-v (07 and 08). Compared to the Xterra they didn't stand a chance. The Xterra is solidly built and they thought of everything. Also you get so many features compared to the Hondas and the Xterra is customizable. I really love mine. I've had it for 3 days so far, but I am really enjoying the ride. It's high up, visibility is great, and it's built so solid. No annoying rattles, etc. The plastic interior is very high quality and I feel that it's laid out perfect. Everything is in the right place. Power everything, mirrors, doors, windows. and it came with high quality mats even! I hope Nissan keeps up with not sacrificing quality.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth works perfectly! Honda's "HandsFree Link" never worked properly. Love the Xterra's glovebox design with the 2 glove boxes, the Ipod connector, and the console cup holders are even built rugged. The Garmin Nuvi 750 Dashboard mount that hides the unit when not in use is sheer genius!

Suggested Improvements

Right now I can't think of any. It's a very solid, well designed beautiful vehicle.

Had to buy another one!
By Sam Vega

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the first Xterra in May of 07. Loved it so much that my wife decided to trade in her Ford for another Xterra last month. "Fun to drive" is the best way to decribe it!

Favorite Features

Handling and overall appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps some pockets built into the back side of the 2 front seats for magazines or books storage for long trips.