Used 2008 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

CAN'T SAY ENOUGH!
By graysith

2008 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After major disappointment with my previous 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I turned to Nissan's Xterra, and will never turn back. In the 5-1/2 years that I've owned mine I've had no trouble other than a cracked in-tire air pressure sensor, but that's it. Drives great, super in snow and weather, dependable, trustworthy and comfortable. I needed something able to get through IA blizzard conditions; this baby does it! Have 113K miles on her (80% highway), and plan on keeping "Bear" for at least double that! No regrets whatsoever; I highly recommend Nissan for quality, performance, strength and durability. Leaves Jeep floundering in the dust, let me tell you that!

Favorite Features

Ease of handling, comfortable front seats, dependable and well made. I haven't put any $$$ into this SUV other than routine maintenance and tires (and one new tire air pressure sensor). I haven't towed anything with it yet but don't foresee any issues with this, judging from the reviews I've read here. (I heartily agree with all reviews, btw!) Good air and heat; maintains comfortable interior temp. Insurance on this vehicle is easy on the pocketbook, too.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, but it could be better in any vehicle! Use different tire pressure sensor (the in-tire one); perhaps this has already been addressed in newer models.

Off road ready, but still stock
By petarvn1

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought certified 2 years ago, Our Xterra has seen dirt, water, and 110 on it's speedometer. We had no problems driving it on light offroad courses, and it's big enough to seat 4 in the back (please dont do it though!) The MPG's aren't too good, but it's good enough for what it is. Surprised at it's speed, though, since it outsprints most family sedans to 60, and the 21+ gallon tank will last you 350-ish miles. Biggest problem are the rear seats. The front ones are soft, and big, but the rear bench feels just like that. a park bench. don't spend more than 4 hours in the back of it, or your back will hurt.

Favorite Features

The V6's power, off road capabilities, looks, sound system

Suggested Improvements

Interior could be more comfy, a 6 speed Auto box, better MPG's

Great SUV
By az_ryan

2008 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Xterra S used and love it. The V6 engine is powerful and the ride is smooth and quite. The exterior styling is really nice looking. The interior is pleasant looking and roomy, but very minimal. There are lots of plastic panels and very few bells and whistles you would expect. It would be nice to have more features. The biggest disappointment was the terrible factory sound system. One of the first things I did was replace the radio and speakers with an aftermarket system. The rear cargo is very nicely thought out with adjustable tie downs on the floor and roof, storage under the floor, and rear seats that fold down flush making lots of room for dogs or hauling. Cleans up nice.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, nice styling, great cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Improve base sound system. Add more features and refinment inside.

2 yrs and still running great
By nick_ole

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fun SUV to drive... hugs the road like a champ with smooth acceleration and strong brakes. Mine is a 4x4... haven't taken it off road yet but looking forward to it. Got mine a yr old at a steal and even if I didn't, it's still worth the money. It's expensive to maintain though...tires cost 200+ a piece and maintenance at the Nissan dealership which I recommend, is still expensive. But all in all, haven't had mechanical issues yet @ 66000 miles. This is my second Nissan after my 2004 Maxima SL and Nissan hasn't failed me yet.

Favorite Features

Everything except MPG and sound system... Had to add after-market sound system for $2,000 and I've been all smiles since.

Suggested Improvements

Improve standard sound system that comes with the vehicle.

Pretty Nice truck
By kev2011

2008 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive been a maxima owner for the last 10 yrs and this is quite a switch. im starting a biz this spring and need the towing. i hope it is up to the task. the car rides nice for a truck but is uncomfortable for long drives which i do every day. the armrest makes me twist my body to use it. the seats are ok. the roof rattles over bumps. the stereo is not even close to the BOSE in a maxima. adjusting to much less creature comforts has taken some time, but i do like the truck. snow is no match for it. i pulled my 20ft boat with it this summer and hardly noticed i was towing anything. i hope its half as good as my maxima.

Favorite Features

i like the front and rear exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

dont like the all plastic rear cargo. everything slides all over when i drive. the roof rack rattles.