Used 2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2007 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Great all-around SUV
By RV

2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle has been reliable--I have no major complaints. It is a success as a city vehicle--more practical and generally useful than my BMW 5 series. On logging trails, it is excellent. My only complaint is that it is not great as a long-distance freeway cruiser. It usually get about 18-20mpg. Some observations: the mudflaps could be better designed because in serious off-roading, they get sucked into the tires and it tears them at the base. I like the OEM Rugged Trail tires because they are soft on rough pavement and have a lot of give, but are good in mud and snow. The 6 speed is the better trans, by far. The R-F stereo could be improved with better stock speakers.

Favorite Features

Traction, visibility, versatility.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo speakers, mudflaps, and smoother upholstery. The seats seem to inhale dog hairs. Road noise on the highway.

Two years and running strong
By Robert

2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I wrote a note a while ago about my Xterra. We moved to Germany and the X has performed perfectly. The only issue I have with it is the trans. It is very difficult to shift into second gear. It sometimes makes a grinding noise as well. But it is not that serious of a problem yet. Over all a great vehicle and the size is perfect!

Favorite Features

Same as before.

Suggested Improvements

Same as before.

07 Xterra
By I3oyet

2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased my 2007 Xterra back in October 07 and it's been great so far with the exception of the rattling noise comming from the rear cargo cover. I am yet to take the cover back to dealr and have them figure out what is wrong with it. Overall I would say this vehicle will not disappoint you.

Suggested Improvements

Better arm rest for the driver better postioning of controls for power windows etc by door

Fun Ride Terrible Gas Mileage
By xterra

2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's advertised at 18 city/21hwy. Mine has never done better than 17mpg no matter how I drive. I also drove the tacoma before I bought my X. I wanted a 6 speed. The tacoma drives like a car. The X feels like a full size truck. It doesn't have the girly frills of other trucks. It has a ton of power. I slip it in 3rd at highway speed and roar right by people. I got it to haul my mastiffs to shows and it fits that bill great, plenty of room and height for them. Get a cheap rubber mat so your dogs dont slip on the plastic. The only time it doesnt have enough power is in 6th on hills hauling dogs or people. No prob 5th will have you gaining speed on that same hill.

Favorite Features

Tons of power, drives like a real truck, back seats lay down flat, backend is plastic that is just wiped down to clean, thick steering wheel, smooth shifting, a goat offroad, positrack rear end with a locker, plenty of room with back seats laying flat, no frills, much less money than toyota.

Suggested Improvements

The xterra has a powerful thirst for gas. Maybe drop some ponies in exchange for more MPGs

Fantastic all around SUV!
By Robert

2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently bought a 2007 Xterra. I wanted the Xterra Off Road fully loaded for the year with the 6 speed manual trans. I love it! I needed a good SUV because my family and I are moving to Germany. So far here in Utah we have had numerous snow storms and it does well with the VDC on in 4x. I tested it in all modes. I did notice a huge improvement with the traction control on but I was not impressed with the tires. It should do better so I am going to buy Michelin LTX M/S. Other than that, I love to drive it and I am always in it. I have the Nismo cold air intake and I love that. The mileage could be better but it is an Off Road vehicle. I am very impressed with its ride. Great job Nissan!!

Favorite Features

Clutch start, VDC, dif lock, 6 speed man, Rockford sound, iPod adapter, rugged looks, int and ext storage, towing cap.

Suggested Improvements

If you buy a vehicle with the off road package you should get a capable SUV with the ability to do what the name says! Good tires are everything!! Nissan needs to purchase better tires for the Off Road Package. I think the BFG AT Ko's would work well for it.