Used 2007 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2007 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Toyota Guy loves this truck!
By kycarguy

2007 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm Toyota. I think the Tacoma is the best gasoline truck ever built. With that being said, the 05-10 Tacoma and 4-runners are too darn expensive. The 07' Nissan Xterra SE was a great compromise. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room in the front. The transmission could use the extra gear though. It likes fuel but I'm pedal to the metal man. My VDC light comes on and stays on from time to time but when I test it, it seems to work properly. I'm at 104k. No other issues. Rides smooth. Fairly quiet. Tons of cargo space/hidden compartments. Love how it looks. And it was half the price of a Toyota truck with similar age and miles. I wish it was the off road package but the SE is not a bad trim level.

Favorite Features

Ride height. Simplistic interior. 4.0 has plenty of hp. Rugged looks that work. Very capable off road. The step on the bumper. Rockford Stereo is perfect for me. AUX input. Hidden storage all over inside and out. Beefy roof rack. With these big ol' rugged terrain tires it looks like a super toy man! Made in Tennessee! The only good thing to come out of that state. Go cats!

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is weak. Had to work out several rattles inside the cabin.. The plastic on the exterior fades and looks crappy if you don't condition it. Auto LSD would be great on this ride.

Xterra 4x4
By rthinchey

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great truck to drive on and off road. Very easy to maintain. Works very well off road, I've never been stuck or left stranded. Great vehicle in the snow, mud, rain, sand, and anything else you can throw at it

Favorite Features

4x4, roof rack, back step on the sides, lots of hidden storage

2007 Xterra issues
By schott5504

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2007 xterra for 15 months now, and it's a love/hate relationship. I purchased mine used, with 58k and purchased the (unusually expensive) extended warranty with it. Shortly after purchasing the car, the radiator began leaking and was replaced. Then the rear differential seal began leaking and was replaced. Soon after that the entire rear end basically gave out, and the transfer case, rear differential, and rear axel were all replaced. Now the rear hatch quit locking, and the water outlet on the engine block is leaking coolant.. I love this car but with 74k and already $5400 of maintenance (luckily mostly covered) in 15 months it may not be in my garage much longer.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, and great off road capability. It's a blast to drive in snow or through the woods, and has a good highway feel to it. Easy to clean rear compartment, and looks great from the outside.

Suggested Improvements

The reliability of this vehicle is really in question. I admit, I baby it for the most part... But use it as intended on weekend outings as well. Unfortunately it sits in the shop as much as it sits in the garage for a constant barrage of maintenance on the coolant system and rear differential.

Update Report From October, 2010
By hikercamper

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

42,500 Miles. Still under factory warranty - timing chain is being replaced. Gas mileage started dropping, so am having fuel service, including cleaning of fuel injectors and de-carbon valves. Rear shocks will be replaced with Bilstein shocks. Have received two notices from Nissan extending warranties on fuel sensor assembly to 60,000 miles and the radiator assembly to 72,000. Feeling concerned about the mechanical reliability of this vehicle. Thought the Xterra would have held up better than this. Bought new and have owned the Xterra for three and a half years.

Favorite Features

Appears to be a "solid" vehicle, fun to drive, handles dirt roads well. Has been enjoyable to own. Inspires a sense of safety.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical aspects of this vehicle may be questionable. Bought it hoping it would hold up, things would not wear out prematurely, but would hold up for the long term. Wondering what else will happen. My confidence is somewhat shaken.

Great Reliable Car
By sjoffroad

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Xterra since it was brand new and its had a hard life thats for sure. Right off the bat the day I picked it up with 36miles on the OD I drove it for 15 hours straight some 900mi or so. A few months later I hauled an 18ft trailer loaded with an entire apartment for 2100 miles. I also move around that trailer with a 6000lbs truck on top of it. Granted It wouldn't be able to do any of it without a brake controller and I wouldn't feel that good towing with an automatic but it pulls it off. Its gone through all this and I havent even changed the air filter. Just a new battery a few weeks ago but trouble free aside from that. Like stated prior: Suspension could use some help

Favorite Features

6-Speed Transmission Engine Performance Cargo divider thing and the anchors Open storage on the roof, Perfect for dirty shoes if your not a size 12

Suggested Improvements

Beefier suspension I drive it so it doesn't but me but getting in the back seat is kind of a pain because of the wheel well being there.