Used 2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2006 XTERRA GOING STROMG
By Frank

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this as a second SUV. Its a good running SUV and performs well. I did remove the cooling lines from the radiator and placed it on its own cooling system to prevent damage to the trans. Cost about 200.00 and well worth it. You can do it yourself in about an hour. I will be replacing the headlights because they or get bad with scratches from age. Cost about 130.00 apiece if you do it yourself. Takes about 2 hours. My SUV has 157000 miles and going strong. Change oil every 5000 and just had the Trans system flushed and oil changed out. I am going for 300000 on this one and then I will have the motor rebuilt or replaced.

LOVE MY XTERRA!!!
By Leeny

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Xterra for 10 years now, and still Love it the same, as when I first bought it! GREAT OFFROADING, EASY STEERING, AND JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!!!

Tons of electrical issues.
By Very Frustrated Xterra Owner

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this Xterra used and it ran ok for several months. Then started experiencing strange electrical issues. First the fan for the heat/ac went out and was causing fuses to pop. Took it to the dealership and they replaced that. Then a couple months later my reverse camera and reverse lights went out along with my fuel sensor. Computer showed a high voltage input on the fuel sensor. So I took that in to get it replaced. Took the dealership 3 days troubleshooting the issue before they sent me on my way. Then today I started the car and pulled out and found the check engine light was flashing at me and there was a noticeable miss. I pulled over and stopped and turned the car off. I checked fluids and everything looked ok. Turned the car on and headed back to the house and there was no miss nor check engine light indicating that anything was wrong. Going to have to take this piece of crap into the dealership again to have it checked out.

Still love my Xterra 9 years later
By Kris

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my xTerra new in Aug 2006 so I've owned it almost 9 years. This is the longest I've ever owned a car! Typically would trade cars after 3 to 5 years because they'd start giving me problems but this Nissan has been great. I honestly love it. It looks great and runs great.

I love the powerful engine. Accelerating in traffic is easy. I sit high so I can so over and around cars. The inside is low maintenance and easy to clean. I have a base model with no electronics so that's why the low rating on electronics. I only get about 16 miles per gallon....occasionally 15 for some reason and I can't understand that. Half of my driving is freeway. I don't drive fast, brake hard etc. My boss drives a big Yukon and we get the same mileage! Another friend has a Dodge Ram 2500 pickup and gets the same mileage. Ford Expedition gets 16 mph and is twice the size. Still, I've done the math for what I would save in a year at 16 mpg and 20 mpg. The savings would only be $300 a year ($25 a month) so I'd rather have the Xterra.

For the most part, I've only done regular maintenance. Oil changes, tire rotations, alignments. I've had one tuneup. I replaced the tires at 60k and again recently at 100k. I do think I should get more miles from the tires but I only drive about 12k a year so I'm changing out tires every 4 to 5 years, which is reasonable. I replaced brakes twice too. Non-routine maintenance includes:
1. The driver's side window motor had to be replaced. I rolled it down one morning and it wouldn't go back up.
2. The fuel sensor went out after 3 years so I never had any idea how much gas was in the tank. I managed by the number of miles I was getting per tank! I didn't replace it because I figured it would be recalled due to the number of failures. And after a couple of years, it was recalled. Nissan replaced it for no charge and I only ran out of gas once in the 2-3 years I drove without it. I'm not sure the sensor fully works even now because it's supposed to have a 21 gallon tank but I have to fill up at 16-17 gallons. I don't sweat this since it's registering Empty earlier than it really would be.
3. The AC fan 2nd speed went out and had to be replaced. Speeds 1, 3 and 4 still worked so this was just an inconvenience more than a real repair I needed.
4. One of the engine igition coils went out around 100k miles.

That's all I can recall having repaired. Four visits to the repair shop in 9 years is reasonable to me and better than any other car I've owned. Current issues I've noticed are:
1. There is a squeaking sound sometimes that can drive me crazy. For a while I thought it was the seats so I sprayed WD40 on everything that looked like it could use it. I did some reading and it seems like it could be the hood. That makes sense because when I close the doors, I hear the squeak outside the truck. This is intermittent - I don't hear it everytime I'm driving. But when I do, it's pretty loud and squeaks the whole drive. Hoping to find out if replacing the hood stops would fix that.
2. The back hatch shocks no longer hold the back up so I need to replace them. I found some youtube videos that show me how I can do that myself so I will be doing that shortly.

This year truck is notorious for cracking the radiator so I'm thinking of trading it before that happens. It would suck to have this near perfect vehicle be completely useless and worth nothing because I drove it one day too long! But I can't say enough good things about it. Mine has been a joy to own and to drive. If I do trade it, I promise that I'll miss it!

Great - until after 100K
By nomaddriver

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Xterra new... LOVED IT. The design was awesome. It was a bit rough (its a truck after all) but comfortable overall. Powerful engine, though hard on gas. All sweet for first 3 yrs/ 65K miles. After that things started to all apart.
Fuel sensor crapped out so I couldn't tell how much gas is left based on the fuel gauge. The driver windows stopped working. U-joints went. By the time I passed 100K, the transmission fluid leaked into the radiator and vice versa. Spent $1500 to replace the radiator and flushed the trans. only to have them tell me that I need a new transmission - $4-$5K (at 110K I wasn't able to go in reverse). Couldn't afford it so traded it at a loss.

Looks, Power, all the bungee hooks in the cargo area.

Install quality parts!