After much review...
By JVP on
2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)
... I finally decided on the Xterra after looking at just about everything that had 4 doors and a hatch. I have 2 kids, one in a car seat, but hated the thought of giving up my truck for an SUV. The Xterra has great road presence (sits high, feels strong) and has well thought out interior features. I always choose power over mileage when faced with one or the other, and while the mileage isn't that bad (22 highway according to the sticker), the power is wonderful. I am also very pleased with the ride and the suspension. It's built very, very well (Titan's frame, etc.) It also has a youthful appearance, which never hurts a guy my age.
Favorite Features
6-Speed: It's the reason I bought it. Most manufacturers don't offer their most powerful engine with a manual; Nissan does. At 78 mph, the tach reads about 2250 in 6th gear. There is enough torque on tap to hit 6th gear at 45 mph, and still accelerate.
Suggested Improvements
Nissan didn't offer a bright red paint. I love the dark blue that I bought, but I would have liked a red choice as well (their red is a "brick" color). I'm also not a fan of the instrument lighting, which is amber in color at night. In any event, I think the vehicle is awesome as is.