Updated Long Term Review
By Since 2006 -NM on
2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I purchased my Xterra in 2006 new from the lot. I wanted an SUV because I was moving to New Mexico and needed a vehicle that had very good utility, was great in the backcountry, and can get through snow on uncleared roads. My road is never cleared in the winter. I've owned it for the entire time. While some of the critiques I've read in the reviews have some merit, ie. hard plastics inside, and gas mileage, on the whole its been very good. I replaced the tires at about 50,000 miles. The Driver's seat started making noises and was successfully fixed by the dealer in Santa Fe (good service dept!). The fuel pump was replaced under warranty before 36000 miles.
Favorite Features
Overall reliability and solidness about it, rockford fosgate stereo and ipod connector.. 4wd which use a little more often than I thought I would.. ground clearance and cargo storage.
Suggested Improvements
my main complaint is the gas mileage. The engine is great and pulls the xterra like crazy. On the other hand, the new CUV's get about the same or only slightly better if one is objective about it. A diesel would be a great improvement. Leather interior and soft touch interior