2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Review: Almost great

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Review

Almost great
By Jim on

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I like it. It's fun to drive and and it sits up high enough to be able to see over most cars, unlike many of the small SUV-like vehicles. In terms of off-roading, it's the best I've ever had. My major reservation is with the driver's seat. The ergonomics are all fine but the seat itself is horribly uncomfortable for long trips. The gas mileage is pretty bad too, but I knew that going into it. What I didn't know is that gas was going to go to $3/gallon! But, just to put my priorities in perspective, if I had the choice between rolling gas prices back or more comfortable seating, I'd choose more comfortable seating. Would I buy another? No, I'd go for a 4dr 4WD Tacoma with a shell.

I love the appearance of the vehicle. I also appreciate the fold down rear seats to add hauling capacity. I've put that feature to use numerous times for both work and play.

The driver seat needs some serious improvements. It's fine for commuting and short jaunts. It's dismal for long rides. I'd also like to see a more Toyota-esque interior.