After Extensive Testing....
By X-Country Roam on
2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I bought my X in June of 07 with 18,000 miles on it. Since then, I have driven this thing almost 30,000 miles, from Chicago, to northern Michigan, to Myrtle Beach, to northern Ohio, in light floods, blizzards, and sand. No trouble digging itself out of 3 foot snow drifts, even a 4 foot ditch (when I was stupid, and turned the traction control off). Wonderful comfort and easy to pack for long trips. I tested the "top impact" rating with a telephone pole last winter. (Black ice, my fault, not the X's.) Kept me and my passengers safe, roof held up no problem. Holds up very well in heavy summer traffic, 30 below temps, blizzards, floods, and anything else you can think of to throw at it.
Favorite Features
Built like a tank, locking rear end and 2 speed xfer case, traction control, totally reliable, great power, good handling for such a tall truck, solid REAL frame, full-sized spare, can pull itself out of ditches, through snow, can handle ANY weather conditions. Can pack a LOT in it, lots of tiedowns.
Suggested Improvements
Tougher plastic interior (scratches easily, especially where seat belt latch rides on side pillar). Fix the traction control issue from factory (wiring harness issue, ONLY problem I have had).